Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reliance on Murray isn't the cause of Brighton's slump

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"But Brighton’s problems run deeper than goalscoring. Since December 8, their team persona has changed drastically. Before, they were characterised predominantly with dogged defending. Since they have relied heavily on long balls and crosses.

With Murray’s physicality and abilities as a frontman who can hold up the ball and link play, that’s perhaps understandable, but it has meant they have too often looked one-dimensional and bereft of ideas.

It also isn’t working. Since December 8, they have completed more accurate crosses (74) than any other Premier League side, yet have scored just one header.

The defence isn’t up to much, either. Brighton have conceded 39 goals, which is far from worrying (Fulham have shipped 58, while Cardiff and Burnley have each let in 47 apiece).

However, the Seagulls backline is often put under strain by the side’s inability to win possession in either the attacking or midfield third. In fact, they rank 18th and 19th in those respective categories but second for possession reclaimed in the defensive third."

MORE >>> https://whisp.rs/2N6gMM6

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is our big problem... we lose the key midfield battles

However, the Seagulls backline is often put under strain by the side’s inability to win possession in either the attacking or midfield third. In fact, they rank 18th and 19th in those respective categories but second for possession reclaimed in the defensive third

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
These figures from December coincide with Locadia and Gross playing, neither player can tackle.

Totally irrelevant as it is more down to our inability to retain possession when we have the ball from the midfield /defence towards the final 1/3 of the pitch

That's not what the article says - it say our problem is 'winning' possession. I agree that we need to retain possession better, as the opposition don't get the ball until we lose it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's not what the article says - it say our problem is 'winning' possession. I agree that we need to retain possession better, as the opposition don't get the ball until we lose it.

I think that our midfield generally win the possession but then it falls down with our lack of retention of the ball or giving it away cheaply with misplaced passes and long hoofs to make them 50/50 balls for GM etc up front.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Totally irrelevant as it is more down to our inability to retain possession when we have the ball from the midfield /defence towards the final 1/3 of the pitch

This. Our issue is holding on to the ball. In both the West Ham game and Fulham game we needed to maintain possession once 2-0 but we could not do it, same against other teams recently we barely hold on to the ball for more than 4 or 5 passes.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think what this misses is that in shifting formation to use Propper and Gross further forward, this leaves Stephens alone as a "ball-winning midfielder" and when he wins the ball he's almost always go to go backwards because a) players push up on him so fast and b) there so little movement in front of him. We therefore completely lose any quick forward impetus and Murray ends up doubled up and marked too quickly.

Additionally, our lack of direct wingers (specifically a fit Izquierdo, a fully up-to-speed Jahanbakhsh and a consistent Knockaert) has driven this change to try and get more midfield impetus going forward, however, because of the above point this may have cost us both pace on the break and Gross as a creative force.

Murray has never been the problem, he's been the saviour in my opinion. What we need is pace again and we've had none this season.

Just my view, but we're not anywhere near as bad as some have suggested. We've been ravaged by attacking injuries this season and it's beginning to tell.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Would prefer to move back to the 4411 formation and win by 1-0 rather than the 433 we've been playing just so we can fit Locan'tia into the side

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
we need quality out wide. March been carrying us for weeks from the wing.

Locadia needs dropping . Need Izzy back asap
AK has played far less minutes and has the same stats as March tells a story. I’m in the front row of the North, Murray spends the game giving out to March because his inability to put a decent ball in the box. Back to the midfield problem we won three in a row with Kayal in the side, Hughton has this annoying need to accommodate Stephens, baffling decisions have cost us points from the manager in my view.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think what this misses is that in shifting formation to use Propper and Gross further forward, this leaves Stephens alone as a "ball-winning midfielder" and when he wins the ball he's almost always go to go backwards because a) players push up on him so fast and b) there so little movement in front of him. We therefore completely lose any quick forward impetus and Murray ends up doubled up and marked too quickly.

Additionally, our lack of direct wingers (specifically a fit Izquierdo, a fully up-to-speed Jahanbakhsh and a consistent Knockaert) has driven this change to try and get more midfield impetus going forward, however, because of the above point this may have cost us both pace on the break and Gross as a creative force.

Murray has never been the problem, he's been the saviour in my opinion. What we need is pace again and we've had none this season.

Just my view, but we're not anywhere near as bad as some have suggested. We've been ravaged by attacking injuries this season and it's beginning to tell.

Propper playing higher has coincided with Gross being less advanced. Both cancel each other out in my view. I'm not so sure that you're right on a), but you're spot on with b) and the rest. Given this, I'll look out for a) in future.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
we need quality out wide. March been carrying us for weeks from the wing.

Locadia needs dropping . Need Izzy back asap

Crux of the problem. With Izzy out the lack of pace from Murray and Gross is amplified, this is the main reason CH shoe-horned Locadia into the team IMO.
I do not think we will go back to 4-4-1-1 until Izzy is back because:
1) Locadia can’t play left of a 4 IMO.
2) AK should be able to but for whatever reason can’t or is not trusted to.
3) Ali J has been a big disappointment SO FAR.
4) March has thrived on the right of a front 3 (but IMO he is the only one who has in this formation).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
AK has played far less minutes and has the same stats as March tells a story. I’m in the front row of the North, Murray spends the game giving out to March because his inability to put a decent ball in the box. Back to the midfield problem we won three in a row with Kayal in the side, Hughton has this annoying need to accommodate Stephens, baffling decisions have cost us points from the manager in my view.

Simple really as he is the engine of the team and the only ball winning midfielder on our books, perhaps I should say only Premier quality ball winning midfielder.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hughton has this annoying need to accommodate Stephens, baffling decisions have cost us points from the manager in my view.

Stats showing we're struggling to win the ball back in the midfield, Stephens probably our best ball winning midfielder. Baffling selection. :lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Stats showing we're struggling to win the ball back in the midfield, Stephens probably our best ball winning midfielder. Baffling selection. :lolol:
The middle of the Park was stronger against Watford than Burnley imo, he was shite against Fulham & Burnley kept losing the ball not winning it. We all see things differently I suppose.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here