Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] British IS Girl wanting to return to the UK

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We could accept her back then charge her with Terrorism offences she committed, however why should tax payers sponsor the prison event

I'm not sure that, unless she has taken part in acts of violence, she has committed an offence.

Obviously ISIS is a deluded, deplorable and violent political group. Much like many this government has supported in the past. Only on this occasion they were the enemy.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm not comfortable with the fact that we're judging the actions of a 15 year old (at the time of her actions) ethnically arab, muslim schoolgirl from a mainly (on NSC) white, working/middle class, middle aged, male perspective.

And furthermore we have no idea what her life experiences were before she made her decision, whether she ever experienced or suffered racism, islamophobia or bigotry of any kind that might have shaped or formed her character and opinions. The majority on here are fortunate enough to have been born in circumstances which determined that we would never experience any of those things.

Everything about her background and circumstances is about as diametrically alien to our own as it could be and therefore any opinion we form on her motivations is based on relative ignorance.

She was a fifteen year old child for god sake who did something incredibly stupid as fifteen year old children are inclined to do, but usually with the benefit of being able to amend or learn from their mistakes. However in her case once there she was hardly in a position to simply change her mind and do a u turn back to the UK. She'd pretty much sealed her fate and had no choice but to adapt to the situation she was now in. In that respect she should be judged in the context of what she did when she was 15. After that she had very little choice but to adapt.

Another thing that"s being overlooked when people comment on her perceived lack of remorse is that it's only being attributed to radicalisation, but it's not as simple as that. Take away the radicalisation element and there still remains the effect of the Stockholm Syndrome where captors identify and bond with their captors. Patti Hearst being the most famous example when she was kidnapped by the terrorist group the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Even kidnapping victims, both adult and children, who are then subjected to cruelty and abuse including sexual can form such a bond and dependence on their captors that even if they have the opportunity to escape they often choose not to, even to the extent where they can be left free to go out on their own and yet they still willingly return to their captor.

Although Ms Begum went voluntarily, once there she was still essentially a captive as she was not free to simply return home again if she wanted to.

So when judging her attitude and comments don't just see someone who has been radicalised, look at the psychological damage inflicted on a young, vulnerable girl in circumstances that once there were totally out of her control. Yes she has been radicalised but with the added complexity of the effects of the Stockholm Syndrome and it might be the latter which might be influencing her current statements more than the radicalisation.

This is the most nonsense I have ever read on here. This is where we are at, defending terrorists to virtue signal. She's a child, if she comes back and kills many others her age at an Ariana Grande concert in 6 months time how will you feel? This isn't a case of "we could never have known", this is quite literally slapping us in the face.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
She was a fifteen year old child for god sake who did something incredibly stupid as fifteen year old children are inclined to do, but usually with the benefit of being able to amend or learn from their mistakes.

Regardless of her race, she knowingly went out to support & integrate herself in to a murderous regime & lifestyle, that is/was intent on destroying everything not to their way of thinking. She could be white, black, Asian....she shouldn't be let back in as she, and her 2 friends, knew what she was getting herself into.

A 15yr old "doing something incredibly stupid" is a kid getting drunk and deciding with his mates to jump in the sea off a groyne in town on a Saturday night. Doing "something incredibly stupid" is NOT flying to the Middle East, joining a terrorist group, witnessing death & destruction around her for 4 years and (BY HER OWN ADMISSION), also seeing a beheaded persons head left in a bin, & "wasn't really that bothered about it".

If she was happy living amongst all that, then shes not going to learn from her mistake is she?

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
However we know the UK government will bow to pressure with most of that driven by the H/R army (excuse the pun) and she will be housed somewhere in the UK with the very real prospect of being found out and murdered by an individual in what has become a very split and divided UK,yet a fair few on here still wonder why Trump is apart from the Liberal Elite popular with the Great Unwashed.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm not comfortable with the fact that we're judging the actions of a 15 year old (at the time of her actions) ethnically arab, muslim schoolgirl from a mainly (on NSC) white, working/middle class, middle aged, male perspective.

And furthermore we have no idea what her life experiences were before she made her decision, whether she ever experienced or suffered racism, islamophobia or bigotry of any kind that might have shaped or formed her character and opinions. The majority on here are fortunate enough to have been born in circumstances which determined that we would never experience any of those things.

Everything about her background and circumstances is about as diametrically alien to our own as it could be and therefore any opinion we form on her motivations is based on relative ignorance.

She was a fifteen year old child for god sake who did something incredibly stupid as fifteen year old children are inclined to do, but usually with the benefit of being able to amend or learn from their mistakes. However in her case once there she was hardly in a position to simply change her mind and do a u turn back to the UK. She'd pretty much sealed her fate and had no choice but to adapt to the situation she was now in. In that respect she should be judged in the context of what she did when she was 15. After that she had very little choice but to adapt.

Another thing that"s being overlooked when people comment on her perceived lack of remorse is that it's only being attributed to radicalisation, but it's not as simple as that. Take away the radicalisation element and there still remains the effect of the Stockholm Syndrome where captors identify and bond with their captors. Patti Hearst being the most famous example when she was kidnapped by the terrorist group the Symbionese Liberation Army.

Even kidnapping victims, both adult and children, who are then subjected to cruelty and abuse including sexual can form such a bond and dependence on their captors that even if they have the opportunity to escape they often choose not to, even to the extent where they can be left free to go out on their own and yet they still willingly return to their captor.

Although Ms Begum went voluntarily, once there she was still essentially a captive as she was not free to simply return home again if she wanted to.

So when judging her attitude and comments don't just see someone who has been radicalised, look at the psychological damage inflicted on a young, vulnerable girl in circumstances that once there were totally out of her control. Yes she has been radicalised but with the added complexity of the effects of the Stockholm Syndrome and it might be the latter which might be influencing her current statements more than the radicalisation.

This is unbelievably naïve as well as being contradictory in the desperation to be nice and kind and understanding. Yes, 15 year olds do silly things at times, as I well know, but 15year olds do NOT do what she has done. Might it just be that she wants to "come home" as ISIS has now all but been destroyed, thankfully. Do you seriously think that she would have wanted to come back, given the lack of any real remorse, had ISIS been victorious on the battlefield and declared their own caliphate.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
However we know the UK government will bow to pressure with most of that driven by the H/R army (excuse the pun) and she will be housed somewhere in the UK with the very real prospect of being found out and murdered by an individual in what has become a very split and divided UK,yet a fair few on here still wonder why Trump is apart from the Liberal Elite popular with the Great Unwashed.

My thoughts entirely - she will be house on the quiet, and given all sorts of benefits. You just know it is going to happen. And, as you allude to, we wonder why extreme right wing parties gain support.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Hastings,as much as i regret to have to post i can see another Joe Cox murder in as much a fragmented society even if you can call it a society breeds people who go on a mission. I was in Brisbane on the Westminster Bridge attack and people there at the time myself included LAUGHED at pictures of Mother Teresa being shielded away into a an armoured vehicle,whilst Joe Public travels on insecure transport systems.Hate to say it The Rise of the Right is in the wind.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are probably other expectant mothers in camps who harbour the country no ill will who would like to be let in.

However, while I dislike her and everything she stands for, she is another British citizen’s daughter and the child a British citizen’s grand daughter. Assuming they are not pro-IS, where do their rights sit in this?
And assuming they are pro-ISIS, and think all those chaps in Syria were doing a grand job and that all non-believers should be killed? Where would their rights sit in that?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just heard Sadiq Khan saying we should bring her home.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
This is the most nonsense I have ever read on here. This is where we are at, defending terrorists to virtue signal. She's a child, if she comes back and kills many others her age at an Ariana Grande concert in 6 months time how will you feel? This isn't a case of "we could never have known", this is quite literally slapping us in the face.

Could't agree more. It's just a shame she didn't die with her friend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BTW Germany also has laws and has done a U turn on some of its more liberal thinking with regards to refugees has it not?

Not that I’m aware of. I’m also not aware what this has to do with my post.

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Unbelievable - shows absolutely no remorse or feelings and obviously has no value of life, shown by her remarks. I just hope every Brit that joined ISIS has had their passports cancelled - once brainwashed always brainwashed.

By not letting her back it should deter others following her example

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

I very much doubt she was experiencing much racism from white British people in the environment she grew up in.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I find it shocking how many people want to punish her even more, despite her age and despite everything she's already gone through. I find it quite barbaric - but I suppose the same people are likely to support the death penalty right?

She OBVIOUSLY should be let in. It's the right thing to do for so many reasons - she's our citizen, she can face justice, she can then be rehabilitated, and perhaps most importantly she can be studied to help to prevent these things from happening again.

Rehabilitated? no such thing. Otherwise drug takers would never take drugs again or criminals ever go back to prison....
https://youtu.be/gcn6v7IaIfA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here