Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] British IS Girl wanting to return to the UK

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Where is Alfredmizen these days? I'm sure he would have doubled the post count on this thread already....

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
If she comes back, life in prison, without any parole, with the opportunity to interrogate her. She may have useful information.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To give a balanced view, referring to the caliphate, she also says, "And there is so much oppression and corruption going on that I don't really think they deserve victory."

There is a big difference between "deserve victory" and admitting they were wrong and she had made a mistake.

She had no remorse and who knows what is going through their minds when they come back to our country.

She chose to abandon her country, join a group who constantly are telling its followers to kill you and me, and have no respect whatsoever for anyone outside their warped version of a religion.

Yep let her back...what the country needs is yet more fanatical nutters to join the rest of them...she will feel very much at home here.

RIPJO

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As a British subject, she is entitled to the same rights and protections as anyone else, despite what she may have done (that will be a separate issue for the authorities). If she turns up at a British airport or consulate/embassy then they should do what the would for anyone else, irrespective of what they think of her personally.
Syria needs to rebuild and having thousands of former IS yobs is the last thing they need so their respective countries have to have them back. Mind you, if she was killed in an airstrike like one of her colleagues, I'd not shed a tear.
In short, she's scum, but she's our scum.

Exactly this. The UK should be dealing with her, not leaving it for someone else to do.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
From the bit of the interview I heard, and I am para-phrasing, she said that "these people" of course kill non-believers, but once they moved onto their brothers in faith, she felt that was wrong.

So far from recanting, she sounds pretty committed still. Her values are not those of the UK, and IMO she has lost the privilege of being a citizen. I certainly wouldn't anybody sent out to Syria to find her.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
The one that has taken her to the point where she admits to seeing decapitated heads in a basket and it not fazing her, at the age of 19. It could be down to the various "horrors" that she has seen while out there that has lead to her not being fazed by that but to admit she has no regrets about doing what she has done and pretty much only wants to come home due losing 2 children already and not wanting to lose the 3rd.

We don't know the full story, we can only go on that one article for the moment but she hasn't really done herself any favours.

As I pointed out in a previous post she stated why seeing a severed head didn't phase her. To quote her, "I thought only of what he would have done to a Muslim woman if he had the chance,"

You are also distorting her narrative by suggesting there were several severed heads in the basket. There was only one. I realise that does not justify her reaction but I would rather stick to the facts than distort them. And who knows, seeing a basket full of severed heads might have even phased her. But seeing one she was possibly able to more easily construct and attach a narrative to that single head and personalise it by way of trying to rationalise what that single person might have done, which might have helped her come to terms with and in her mind excuse what she was seeing. It might have been a coping strategy for what she was experiencing.

It's the same difference as seeing a single dead body or a mass of dead bodies piled on top of one another. One of those sights is obviously significantly more disturbing than the other.

I'm not excusing her behaviour I'm just putting forward possible reasons why she reacted in the way she did rather than simply condemning her without giving any thought to the possible reasons for her response. But in order to do that you have to consider the circumstances as she stated them not paint a different picture.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If she comes back, life in prison, without any parole, with the opportunity to interrogate her. She may have useful information.

How would you prove she has committed a crime that a jury would convict and what sentencing guidelines would mean life? We haven't got a Guantamano Bay. The fear is that we don't have the legislation / policy to deal with her properly. Presumably the secret services can interview her out there if she has anything meaningful.

el punal

I feel a tad sorry for her, but If you have made your bed......................

I bet she regrets leaving Bethnal Green for living in whatever hell hole she is now. As many posters have already commented - she’s not exactly filled with remorse. Taking it to the next stage, and assuming that she brings/has the baby in the U.K., what’s to say that it’s not a giant con. She wins both ways, she has a child that is looked after (care of the NHS) and she can indoctrinate that child and anyone else gullible enough to believe the hatred that convinced her to join IS.

I’m afraid I can’t bring myself to have any sympathy for her whatsoever. She chose that life, even as a “silly 15 year old schoolgirl”, has since decided to have three children in presumably appalling conditions, totally unfazed by the atrocities committed, and now it looks as if IS is about to be wiped out she wants to return home. Selfish and conniving perhaps?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The issue is how radical she still is and how radical she will bring up her child.

I tend to favour exile, just to be on the safe side.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
How would you prove she has committed a crime that a jury would convict and what sentencing guidelines would mean life? We haven't got a Guantamano Bay. The fear is that we don't have the legislation / policy to deal with her properly. Presumably the secret services can interview her out there if she has anything meaningful.

I would imagine joining isis is at the very least treason. She was 15 when she went, Im not the same person I was at 15 by any stretch of the imagination. Think this sort of problem is the first of many.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Doesn't it come under the Terrorism Act, to leave the country to join ISIS?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It will be an interesting test case, as it will surely not be the last.

She didn't join IS to fight, and as far as the report goes, there doesn't appear to be any blood (directly) on her hands. But she has been radicalised, and supports an enemy of our state, an enemy that believes they are entitled to kill those who are not part of their own group. She doesn't seem to have any problem with IS, what they stand for, just their corruption. She has no regrets about the decision she made at 15, and with everything that has happened to her since (death of one friend and two of her own children) that is pretty conclusive support for the life she chose, and doesn't suggest she is planning to come back as anything other than a supporter of IS.

As a parent, I have HUGE sympathy for her family who must have been through goodness knows what over the last few years, and would dearly love to get her back, and hopefully undo some of the damage.

But decisions of law, and especially of National Security cannot be made by viewing things through the filter of "being a parent", it has to be over whether she poses a threat, and I believe she does, both in terms of her views, what she could be "persuaded" to do once back in the UK, how she might influence other, and especially that child to support IS, and take action against their enemies.

My view, we should refuse to let her back in.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
You can see why Caroline Lucas is voted for, you can see why this area is a bastion of liberalness with some of the crazy thought processes on show here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It will be an interesting test case, as it will surely not be the last.

She didn't join IS to fight, and as far as the report goes, there doesn't appear to be any blood (directly) on her hands. But she has been radicalised, and supports an enemy of our state, an enemy that believes they are entitled to kill those who are not part of their own group. She doesn't seem to have any problem with IS, what they stand for, just their corruption. She has no regrets about the decision she made at 15, and with everything that has happened to her since (death of one friend and two of her own children) that is pretty conclusive support for the life she chose, and doesn't suggest she is planning to come back as anything other than a supporter of IS.

As a parent, I have HUGE sympathy for her family who must have been through goodness knows what over the last few years, and would dearly love to get her back, and hopefully undo some of the damage.

But decisions of law, and especially of National Security cannot be made by viewing things through the filter of "being a parent", it has to be over whether she poses a threat, and I believe she does, both in terms of her views, what she could be "persuaded" to do once back in the UK, how she might influence other, and especially that child to support IS, and take action against their enemies.

My view, we should refuse to let her back in.

This seems the best summary so far. Pretty much my view.

The report does say that she married a Dutch man out there. Maybe they'd like to claim her!?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would imagine joining isis is at the very least treason. She was 15 when she went, Im not the same person I was at 15 by any stretch of the imagination. Think this sort of problem is the first of many.

Doesn't it come under the Terrorism Act, to leave the country to join ISIS?

Would she then be tried as a minor? It may come under the Terrorism Act TB, but I'm not sure what the burden of evidence is, is she tried as a minor, can she make a defence that she was brainwashed then held against her will, and even in the event of a conviction, without an actual crime committed other than to travel to join IS, not sure what the sentencing structure would mean? Lot of questions on this one, but my original reply to Dave was that it wouldn't be a case of just being able to lock her up for life.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I wouldn't like to give an opinion either way on whether she should be let back in or not purely on the strength of the content of that one article. Especially as there are already discrepancies in the reporting of certain stated "facts" in the article itself. An article written by a third person who possibly may have his own agenda is hardly the basis on which to form an educated opinion about her, her thinking or her motivations or any threat she may or may not pose. Based on that article I have no idea whether she should or should not be allowed to return to the UK.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here