Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Random thought re music played on the radio

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was working in a house last week and the owner had radio 2 on, Steve Wright was playing music my 15 year old son likes.
Steve Wright is now worse than a Heart FM DJ, but twice or three times older.

I'm sure Jeremy Vine chooses some of his own music, he sometimes plays The Jam, The Smiths and Elvis Costello, I've heard him mention he's a fan.

Jeremy Vine does, he’s often able to get in the music you mention, plus New Order, Joy Division, etc. All his loves. But unfortunately just one or two if we’re lucky. The rest are chosen by the committee.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh and - the majority of 'request' shows are fake. They're also scheduled. Someone who calls in is told what song to ask for if they want their shout out on air; or they call back the texter that happens to have asked for something already coming up. Sometimes old pre-recorded requests are reused if its a quiet night.

There are exceptions, particularly shows targetting older audiences where the requests would be hugely varied in type. Also one semi-common thing would be having one "special" request in one of those shows which might actually be real and picked by the DJ.

When a track starts to play the second its asked for, under the DJ saying thanks to the caller or announcing the name - it was pre-scheduled. Listen out for that and you'll notice it immediately.

I was wondering about the royalty payments, I sometimes listen to a station that has 80's and 90's chart music as it's core, yet it seems they will play the same songs in rotation for a week or two before moving on to another batch, is there a discount for bulk plays in a fortnight or something?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Jeremy Vine does, he’s often able to get in the music you mention, plus New Order, Joy Division, etc. All his loves. But unfortunately just one or two if we’re lucky. The rest are chosen by the committee.

He has good taste when it comes to music, nice to hear The Jam after someone having a rant on a phone in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He has good taste when it comes to music, nice to hear The Jam after someone having a rant on a phone in.

Love it, amazing. So many to choose from but That’s Entertainment always gives goosebumps. One reason I like Vine, even when other NSC’ers mention they can’t stand the bloke and his R2 show in other radio threads over the years.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I was wondering about the royalty payments, I sometimes listen to a station that has 80's and 90's chart music as it's core, yet it seems they will play the same songs in rotation for a week or two before moving on to another batch, is there a discount for bulk plays in a fortnight or something?

I don't know the exact UK royalties setup but I believe ours is basically copied from it - and there's no discounts. We pay a fixed % of turnover to the rights agencies and they divvy up from logs we give them.

That would suggest bad feeding of the scheduler with a fairly small database each time, for no reason I can ascertain but probably some over-paid radio consultant told them to do it. "Changing the songs makes the station sound fresher" - when it plays old music, or something like that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Love it, amazing. So many to choose from but That’s Entertainment always gives goosebumps. One reason I like Vine, even when other NSC’ers mention they can’t stand the bloke and his R2 show in other radio threads over the years.

I'm not really a fan of the actual show TBH, I don't dislike him but some of the arguments on phone ins are annoying.
I do change stations if I don't like the topic being discussed, he is good at what he does though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not really a fan of the actual show TBH, I don't dislike him but some of the arguments on phone ins are annoying.
I do change stations if I don't like the topic being discussed, he is good at what he does though.

I rarely listen these days as busy then, but as well as the music and debates, they’ve had really interesting/useful health experts on.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Driving up to Guildford and the radio was on Radio 2, first time I’ve listened to Zoe Ball as I don’t listen to the radio too much. Is 6 available on old fashioned car radios? Never listened to it but it seems to have a fanbase on here.

No - it's DAB or the internet I'm afraid. When we got our current car, the domestic management was keen to ask about things like mpg, tax, insurance, blah-de-blah. I just wanted to know if it had DAB so I could get 6 Music, the cricket, and Final Score! Bit of a role reversal in our household when it comes to cars.

Anyway - try it out. Lauren, and Cerys Matthews on a Sunday morning are good places to start if you like good music and intelligent interviews and chat.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Imagine it’s all based on the demographic of listeners not the DJ’s taste?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Was thinking listening to Zoe Ball on Radio 2 this morning how here music seems quite different to what Chris Evans used to play, so my question is do the DJs have a say in the music or do they actually pick the songs?

Knowing how varied NSC professions are I was wondering if any of you have experience of radio stations and how the music is picked.

I did say it was a bit random :smile:

I have thought the same. The music has come forward a few years and is the better for it

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

He likes a bit of British Sea Power too. Can't go wrong in my book.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I realise that many people do not have the internet, but the plethora of independent radio shows out there is phenomenal. Mostly seemed focused on a certain genre, something I prefer, so I dont have to hear music that I would consider crap. Not because its specifically crap, but just not my taste in music.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Radio 2 seem to play a lot of songs you’d hear on the Heart playlist nowadays with only the occasional oldie thrown in

To be fair ken Bruce tends to buck that trend

I am not a great fan, but he will play some classics at time as tracks of my years, where he has celebs etc picking sings, Bowie life on mars now on from the pub landlord is an example. And now he is playing sledgehammer by peter Gabriel!

He also plays full versions of feeebird and other classics

I am gravitating towards planet rock the older I get as I am that old I cannot stand rap and rnb music .

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I have a show on an internet radio station, with a little bit of a following. I do a request show, where the requests are 100% genuine, if it's a slow night for people requesting I just play what I want to!!! Only things I can't play are anything racist, sexist, homophobic etc, which is fine by me. Occasionally I drop a clanger with the odd swear word, but generally my show's are 8pm onwards so it's never a great hardship. The station has it's various licences needed to play whatever, so I have no idea how royalties work - needless to say, the likes of Ed Sheeran, Little Mix and Olly Murs don't receive much from us!!!

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Same on Radio Reverb. The choice is totally ours, provided it doesn't break OfCom rules (swearing, racism, homophobia etc).

So whatever you hear as an outro to The Albion Roar or what I play on Move On Up is entirely the choice of the presenters (blame us). Hear the outro to this week's Roar for an example. Heart FM / Capital Brighton FM wouldn't play it. And given the context, they wouldn't dare - that's how flaccid they are.

I see what you did there.......

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I love 6 Music, always reminds me of listening to someone elses spotify, Some you know, some you think WTF and soe gems you would have never listened to previously and they are what I tune in for.

For instance this week, I heard a new release by Chaka Khan, absolutely brilliant tune I would never have heard otherwise, always seem to find a nice suprise hidden in the playlists.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The broadcaster must pay PRS? I had an interesting conversation with them some year back, they wanted by business to pay them for music in the workplace. When I pointed out I was a member and musician working alone listening to my own made and bought music they went quiet!

BBC and bigger radio stations have playlists which dictate a large proportion of what gets aired, pluggers and money play a part in this, been there done that. . . .although occaisionaly you do get a play or two just because someone likes it.

I have a show on an internet radio station, with a little bit of a following. I do a request show, where the requests are 100% genuine, if it's a slow night for people requesting I just play what I want to!!! Only things I can't play are anything racist, sexist, homophobic etc, which is fine by me. Occasionally I drop a clanger with the odd swear word, but generally my show's are 8pm onwards so it's never a great hardship. The station has it's various licences needed to play whatever, so I have no idea how royalties work - needless to say, the likes of Ed Sheeran, Little Mix and Olly Murs don't receive much from us!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here