Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Old people squabbling

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
How old is Old these days......50? 60? 70? 80? 90? 100?

Guess it`s relative to how old you are. A teenager would def think 50 old....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Being an OAP I have noticed the days of people giving up a seat on a bus for OAPs seem to have vanished and you rarely see anybody under 30 give up their seat as it is usually those in their 50s that do. What really gets me is a young mum in 30s with a couple of young children sitting in 3 seats and she not asking them to budge up using the line she has bought them a ticket.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Being an OAP I have noticed the days of people giving up a seat on a bus for OAPs seem to have vanished and you rarely see anybody under 30 give up their seat as it is usually those in their 50s that do. What really gets me is a young mum in 30s with a couple of young children sitting in 3 seats and she not asking them to budge up using the line she has bought them a ticket.

I must say, I always offer my seat and I see plenty doing the same.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Is there an increase of such? Or are you just witness to it more by being at work less in the daytime?

I say this as on buses on a Wednesday - my day off to be with Meade Jr - there tends to be a simmering quagmire of easily riled seniors. Last Wednesday, for instance, with sleeping Meade Jr in his buggy in the centre of the bus, an ancient fellow toddles onto the bus, with his 60-something helper behind him. The old chap finds a seat when 2 nice people stand up, but the helper chap is angry with a mature woman who didn't stand up in the first available seat. He keeps having a go at her until another 50-odd-year-old lady tells the helper to give it a rest. Shut up!! Shut up!!! the squat helper cries, in and around me, the missus, and Meade Jr. The lady responds with a If you were any younger i'd knock you out! Shut up!! Shut up!!! he says again. The bus pulls in and the lady says When you go home brush your teeth, cos your breath stinks! She's about to dismount, and the helper replies with a So does your fanny and arse!
Alright, it's Holloway Road, but is this normal behaviour for people of a certain age during the daytime?

I am looking forward to being this miserable and obnoxious. I may even throw in 'I fought in the war!' to properly get in character!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It's almost a question time-esque 'question' A generation or two ago, 45 was old . . . At 47 1/2, a few physical creaks aside I'm still 25. . . In my head . . . . My step dad and his mates, playing cards with a few beers are still 25, with more creaks and a few,grumbles. . . .quality of life (relative to mental agility) is everything.

I’m going for 65/70 years old?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's almost a question time-esque 'question' A generation or two ago, 45 was old . . . At 47 1/2, a few physical creaks aside I'm still 25. . . In my head . . . . My step dad and his mates, playing cards with a few beers are still 25, with more creaks and a few,grumbles. . . .quality of life (relative to mental agility) is everything.

Agreed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I have the opposite experience and find many people offer their seat to me, including youngsters. Maybe I look as though I need it more. :lolol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No squabbling from me today. Walked in to a local cafe today for a cuppa and flapjack and six ladies who lunch were at the table by the door, all at least a decade younger than me. One looked squarely at me and said loudly, ' Ooh, he can stay'. Sadly, I couldn't as the cafe owner told me he was full and struggling to cope on his own. I left, but tail wagging and not at all grumpy. Later, popped up to GP surgery to pick up a letter and stopped for a word with a slightly older lady whose dog hurt himself jumping in the car. We chatted for a few minutes before I went on my way and she said 'goodbye, you're a lovely man'. So definitely not grumpy grandad today:)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You wanna visit Bexhill.
Old age bantz is an unrecognised specialty there.
Spittle, gesturing, flying gums and uncontrollable farting is a common occurrence, especially if queues form in the local post office. :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The older you are, the more frustration and resentment get stored up waiting for an outlet. That's my experience, anyway. I'm still seething about Joe Kinnear's backpass at Millwall on Good Friday 1976.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here