Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan charged with racially abusing Gaetan Bong

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Plenty have been banned at the Amex without court convictions. They got off on a technicality as the CPS/police screwed up. If the video evidence is there they racially abused Bong they should be banned by Burnley FC.

But that was the reason the case fell apart there wasn't video evidence of them racially abusing Bong.

And I think its disgusting how the club treat our fans at times. A mate of mine recently was given a 5 match ban and the kangaroo court he had to sit through was embarrassing.

On the basis that they admitted in court that they were shouting racist and homophobic abuse - but that they considered it "banter" ?

No they didn't. They denied all charges on the grounds they considered what they were saying was just banter very different to what you have just said.

I love the double standards on NSC these two are guilty because they are a) from Burnley and b) look a bit chavvy.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
But that was the reason the case fell apart there wasn't video evidence of them racially abusing Bong.

And I think its disgusting how the club treat our fans at times. A mate of mine recently was given a 5 match ban and the kangaroo court he had to sit through was embarrassing.

No they didn't. They denied all charges on the grounds they considered what they were saying was just banter very different to what you have just said.

I love the double standards on NSC these two are guilty because they are a) from Burnley and b) look a bit chavvy.

Are you saying they shouted what would be construed as racist and homophobic language by most of the civilised world, but because they class it as just banter then it is not racist .. hence political,easing not guilty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Are you saying they shouted what would be construed as racist and homophobic language by most of the civilised world, but because they class it as just banter then it is not racist .. hence political,easing not guilty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea what they shouted nor does anyone else on this board.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Footage from the stadium had not been disclosed to the defence before the trial, the court heard.
It said prosecutors asked for time to obtain the footage, which was stored at a police station in Sussex, but the court declined.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Fair point. I skim-read the article and thought that their "banter" excuse was made in the courtroom, not at the stadium on the day.

However, I'd imagine that their own testimony, had it got that far, would probably have been along the lines of the Matthew Simmonds case and his claims of merely shouting "Off! Off you go Cantona! Its an early bath for you!".

The screw-up with the evidence meant they got lucky this time.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

And all those Bulgaria fans, they had their arm up because they were trying to entice a passing starling to land on their arm?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And all those Bulgaria fans, they had their arm up because they were trying to entice a passing starling to land on their arm?

No no, they were just waving to get the attention of a waiter.

I doubt they've even heard of the nazi's, the poor misunderstood fools.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Footage from the stadium had not been disclosed to the defence before the trial, the court heard.
It said prosecutors asked for time to obtain the footage, which was stored at a police station in Sussex, but the court declined.

Either way it wasn't presented to the court. So we and most importantly the court have no idea what said video did or didn't show these two doing/saying.

How Sussex old bill and the CPS can fail to present evidence in 8 months is bonkers.

Fair point. I skim-read the article and thought that their "banter" excuse was made in the courtroom, not at the stadium on the day.

However, I'd imagine that their own testimony, had it got that far, would probably have been along the lines of the Matthew Simmonds case and his claims of merely shouting "Off! Off you go Cantona! Its an early bath for you!".

The screw-up with the evidence meant they got lucky this time.

Look I'm not suggesting for a second they didn't do it and Easy I expect you are spot on and they laughed their little socks off all the way back to Coronation Street but as far as the law is concerned they are innocent and therefore in my opinion have no case to answer to Burnley football club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting, from the Burnley messageboard: http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42784

Re: Alleged "Racist" Burnley fan - case dropped
Home
Postby UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:35 am

It's disappointing to see so much support for this trial being dropped.

I have personally witnessed both of the defendants using outrageously offensive language and racist on a coach to Crystal Palace with the Boundary Clarets in 2017. I remember it well because I couldn't believe what I was hearing throughout most of that trip, and because it was the same day as the Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko fight at Wembley stadium. I remember the father, Stewart saying that he didn't want Joshua to win "because he was a N***a" and a "black "b******", words used frequently again on the drive into the London towards the general public, as they pressed their faces up against the coach window.

I submitted this information to the club at the time, but nothing came of it and I vowed never to travel with the Boundary Clarets (Though it's not their fault) ever again.

Oh, and predictable...:rolleyes:

Brilliant stuff!

The police, stewards and BHA were way way over the top that day, so much so that it stopped me going this season.

I have been every time we played them up until this, in Feb they just seemed hell bent on chucking any accusations at any Burnley fan. I heard comments made about Jay-Rod - the lot.

Disgusting football club, who, lets face it love to play the victim and homophobic and now racist card at every chance.

One club I hope truly dies one day.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Easy 10;9121574 Disgusting football club said:

Oh well the feeling is mutual.

The one saving grace is even The Albion were to die we can still live safe in the knowledge we live somewhere like Sussex rather than the complete armpit of a place that is Burnley...

I think I would genuinely commit suicide before choosing to live there.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why? They haven't been found guilty of anything.

I'm not saying they did no wrong but a court of law couldn't prove they did so what grounds do Burnley have to ban them?

Burnley aren't restricted to the burden of proof that a court of law is, they can quite easily take the word of the Burnley fans who reported these guys as justification. If they want to take such accusations seriously, I mean. They might be happy to have their own fans reporting that other Burnley fans are spout racists and homophobic epithets.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Burnley aren't restricted to the burden of proof that a court of law is, they can quite easily take the word of the Burnley fans who reported these guys as justification. If they want to take such accusations seriously, I mean. They might be happy to have their own fans reporting that other Burnley fans are spout racists and homophobic epithets.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/fans/respect-campaign/

The question obviously is what do Burnley as a club do when someone uses this service?

Jan 30, 2008

Should have got up and walked out of the room :whistle:
Regards
DI

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here