Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan charged with racially abusing Gaetan Bong

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Except he didn't say that at all, did he?

There is a kernel of truth in what he's suggested. Go and look at the ethnic make up of all Premier League clubs' squads over the last few years. Then look at Burnley's. The difference is SO stark that it can't just be coincidence.

Maybe prospective black signings don't fancy playing there, in front of that crowd? Maybe the club themselves shy away from signing black players, because of the potential of their fans 'not taking to them'?

No idea what the reasons are, but on a purely statistical level, it IS a thing.

A guy I work with knows a BAME player who used to play for Burnley. Allegedly him and his partner had some 'issues' with the locals on a few occasions.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Whilst I have stated I am not going to comment again on the incident again between Bong and Rodriguez

This latest incident gives people within the game the opportunity to try and educate at least these individuals. The younger lad in particular.

And whilst there needs to be some sort of punishment carried out. There is great scope here also for rehabilitation. The lad is a mere 18 years old. He is a Student with his life ahead of him. He now finds himself named all over the Media charged with a racially motivated crime.

Someone from ''Kick it Out'' needs to also step in here. Its no use just producing leaflets and putting up banners. They need to get to the heart of the problem and whilst this is not the first arrest for such an incident. Such arrests are still in their infancy.

With this in mind as soon as he is convicted. And he will be convicted because Brighton has one of the best CCTV Monitoring systems in the country.

Once that happens ''Kick it Out'' should be offering to step in and educate the young lad on how his behaviour impacts on football and in the broader society. They should be saying to him '' do you want to learn from your mistakes and show any future potential employers what you learned from your behaviour''. Otherwise he just spirals into what his parents and peers appear to have created to date.

Teach him that with proper knowledge and good advice, he could potentially grow to be a productive member of society. We need to do this now and we need to actively try and show that we can change people's behaviour if we can intervene at the correct time in peoples lives.

A lot of funding goes into organisations like ''Kick it Out'' so time for them to justify that funding.

Absolutely agree with this.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
How many feathers are on a Perdue chicken? How many fibers are intertwined in a Shredded Wheat biscuit? What does 'Tuhs eht lleh pu' mean? How many times did the Batmobile catch a flat?

- I wish my cousin Nag was here. He knows these things!

I've listened to that innumerable times but never seen "Tuhs eht lleh pu" written down before and so had never realised what it meant...Thanks very much! Wellquickwoody's awkward questions have indadvertently provided some enlightenment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
How many feathers are on a Perdue chicken? How many fibers are intertwined in a Shredded Wheat biscuit? What does 'Tuhs eht lleh pu' mean? How many times did the Batmobile catch a flat?

- I wish my cousin Nag was here. He knows these things!

Is he brown?

#AskingAwkwardQuestions

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
That's a fair point. At least the (original) issue in hand was concerning their own current player. Some will have misguidedly felt they were showing support for him.

I very much have the impression that for some Burnley fans (in the game up there, more so than Saturday) that they just latched on to the opportunity to have a good BOOOO at a black man, like the good old days.

Having thought about it a bit more, I was at Burnley away for the original incident and at the West Bromwich game last week. The booing at West Brom was pantomime stuff really, some kids who didn't know better and a bit of tribal booing albeit there was hardly anyone there so everything was a bit quiet and half hearted. That is, apart from the bouncy castle for hire bloke in front of me that wanted a scrap with everyone with his phone number plastered on the back of his coat.

Burnley by contrast was vitrolic and hostile and certaintly felt like it had a racial element to it especially considering J-Rod had long since left. The whole atmosphere is a bit nasty - a league 1 throwback in a whole number of ways. I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt on the predominantly white team given that its a journeyman team of players with a work ethic opposed to a group of foreign superstars here for the cash but I don't think the town has moved on far from the 8000 that voted BNP in the early 000s or the race riots at the same time.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having thought about it a bit more, I was at Burnley away for the original incident and at the West Bromwich game last week. The booing at West Brom was pantomime stuff really, some kids who didn't know better and a bit of tribal booing albeit there was hardly anyone there so everything was a bit quiet and half hearted. That is, apart from the bouncy castle for hire bloke in front of me that wanted a scrap with everyone with his phone number plastered on the back of his coat.

Burnley by contrast was vitrolic and hostile and certaintly felt like it had a racial element to it especially considering J-Rod had long since left. The whole atmosphere is a bit nasty - a league 1 throwback in a whole number of ways. I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt on the predominantly white team given that its a journeyman team of players with a work ethic opposed to a group of foreign superstars here for the cash but I don't think the town has moved on far from the 8000 that voted BNP in the early 000s or the race riots at the same time.

That was my take from a far. Very pleased with the mature approach by WBA, definitely part of the civilised world.

Burnley obviously contains mostly decent people including those who reported the abuse, but the noisy knuckledraggers are stuck in a time warp. Let’s hope creatures of that ilk don’t grow in importance in British life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yay something different on NSC...

... Oh it's racism...

...as you were.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ministry of funny walks watching them enter court. People become very self conscious when on camera.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills