Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan charged with racially abusing Gaetan Bong

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
“Nathan Higgins, 18, a student, of Talbot Drive, Burnley, Lancashire, has been charged with using threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress, and using racially aggravated threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

“Stewart Higgins, 53......."

Lovely family day out there.

My thoughts exactly. The old adages ''Like father like son'' and ''the apple doesn't fall from the tree'' really fits the bill there

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Club statement seems to confirm the notion that the reports were made by visiting Burnley fans.

In a rather horrible event that's genuinely pleasing to read.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The two yobboes will get life bans from Turf Moor if found guilty. All football related criminal offences get life bans, though with the possibility of remitting them if it wasn't too serious and if they have kept their nose clean since. That's on top of the inevitable (if guilty) statutory ban from all football grounds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed. Unfortunately, to the bulk of West Brom and Burnley fans, it seems that the story is this:

GB accused JR of racism.
JR was found not guilty.
Therefore, GB is a liar who "played the race card".

He wasn't quite found not guilty was he ? Thought it was 'not proven'.......

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He wasn't quite found not guilty was he ? Thought it was 'not proven'.......

That was the point of what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said. That's the perception amongst the Burnley fans.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The two yobboes will get life bans from Turf Moor if found guilty. All football related criminal offences get life bans, though with the possibility of remitting them if it wasn't too serious and if they have kept their nose clean since. That's on top of the inevitable (if guilty) statutory ban from all football grounds.

How do you feel about the ongoing booing of Bong?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Stumpy Tim

Indeed. Unfortunately, to the bulk of West Brom and Burnley fans, it seems that the story is this:

GB accused JR of racism.
JR was found not guilty.
Therefore, GB is a liar who "played the race card".

You're right of course, but Albion fans booed JR at West Brom, and he wasn't found guilty either. So for many Albion fans:

GB accused JR of racism.
JR wasn't found "Innocent".
Therefore, JR is a liar who is a racist

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You're right of course, but Albion fans booed JR at West Brom, and he wasn't found guilty either. So for many Albion fans:

GB accused JR of racism.
JR wasn't found "Innocent".
Therefore, JR is a liar who is a racist

Ish. We know at the very least that JRod - regardless of any racial element - is a massive bellend, telling another grown man they stink and doing a 6 year old playground gesture. That potentially deserves a small boo.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Correct. Jay Rodriguez' name hasn't been cleared in a court of law.

Hmmm... that's not fair. Innocent until proven guilty.

But, also, nothing to suggest Bong was lying. Hence the "not proven" middleground.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmmm... that's not fair. Innocent until proven guilty.

But, also, nothing to suggest Bong was lying. Hence the "not proven" middleground.

I don't think it's unfair, when it's just fact. His name hasn't been cleared. We do not know whether he said it or not. This is in response to those saying his name has been cleared. It hasn't.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think it's unfair, when it's just fact. His name hasn't been cleared. We do not know whether he said it or not. This is in response to those saying his name has been cleared. It hasn't.

I must have been one of the biggest advocates who claimed 100% that Bongy WAS Racially abused but we need to all lay this to rest, otherwise Gaetan will never get any respite from it. The lad deserves that at the very least

I still feel angry about it all but Brighton fans too need to lay it to rest as do all the other fans and I hope these arrests help to achieve this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I must have been one of the biggest advocates who claimed 100% that Bongy WAS Racially abused but we need to all lay this to rest, otherwise Gaetan will never get any respite from it. The lad deserves that at the very least

I still feel angry about it all but Brighton fans too need to lay it to rest as do all the other fans and I hope these arrests help to achieve this.

I agree that it should probably be left where it is, but it is NOT left with Jay Rodriguez' name being cleared, because that suggests for a certainty that Bong made it all up as some sort of bizarre evil scheme.

It is left as a case of "we'll never know".

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
How do you feel about the ongoing booing of Bong?
Boring, pointless. Mind you, I never get involved with booing ex-Blackburn players either, unless they have done something egregious. But the booing wasn't because Bong has dark skin, it was because [EDIT - the result of Rodriguez' stupid comments and the fully justified reporting of them by Bong, whether Bong was right or wrong in what he heard, result in trouble END OF EDIT] for someone Burnley fans regards as "one of their own".

[EDIT because what I wrote has been widely misinterpreted so I hope to make it clearer. It's been quoted many times so there's no difficulty in seeing what I first wrote.]

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

It's the difference between English and Scottish law. In England, it's innocent until proven guilty; and since what Rodriguez was accused of was a criminal offence, he ought to be considered innocent. That doesn't imply that Bong was lying, just that Rodriguez can't be proved to be guilty so he's innocent.

In Scotland, they have "not proven" which leaves a shadow over the accused for the rest of his life. But we aren't in Scotland.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Boring, pointless. Mind you, I never get involved with booing ex-Blackburn players either, unless they have done something egregious. But the booing wasn't because Bong has dark skin, it was because he caused trouble (rightly or wrongly) for someone Burnley fans regards as "one of their own".

He cause trouble? Really? As a black man, should he have kept quiet?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree that it should probably be left where it is, but it is NOT left with Jay Rodriguez' name being cleared, because that suggests for a certainty that Bong made it all up as some sort of bizarre evil scheme.

It is left as a case of "we'll never know".

My views have not changed. I am only really thinking about Bong and the fact that every time it is brought up, no matter from what angle it comes, it brings Bongy back into the spotlight and I am positive the lad himself needs to move on from it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here