Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan charged with racially abusing Gaetan Bong

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Boring, pointless. Mind you, I never get involved with booing ex-Blackburn players either, unless they have done something egregious. But the booing wasn't because Bong has dark skin, it was because he caused trouble (rightly or wrongly) for someone Burnley fans regards as "one of their own".

Let's be clear about one thing: it's absolutely rightly.

If there is any chance of racism being stamped out then it HAS to be reported where it is believed it has happened, to allow an investigation to take place.

Tell me: If Rodriguez had been found guilty, do you believe there are elements of your support who would still abuse Bong, even though it had been proven that he was racially abused?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
He cause trouble? Really? As a black man, should he have kept quiet?
No, he shouldn't have kept quiet. I should have put it slightly differently from "he caused trouble" - but the result of Rodriguez' stupid comments, whatever they may have been, and Bong's reporting of them, however accurate he may have been, was trouble for Rodriguez.

Burnley fans, no doubt out of bias for our own man, believe that Bong was mistaken (and no doubt a few believe he was lying). Brighton fans, no doubt out of bias for your own man, believe he wasn't mistaken (and no doubt a few believe he couldn't possibly have been mistaken).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Boring, pointless. Mind you, I never get involved with booing ex-Blackburn players either, unless they have done something egregious. But the booing wasn't because Bong has dark skin, it was because he caused trouble (rightly or wrongly) for someone Burnley fans regards as "one of their own".

That's a load of crap and you know it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, he shouldn't have kept quiet. I should have put it slightly differently from "he caused trouble" - but the result of Rodriguez' stupid comments, whatever they may have been, and Bong's reporting of them, however accurate he may have been, was trouble for Rodriguez.

Burnley fans, no doubt out of bias for our own man, believe that Bong was mistaken (and no doubt a few believe he was lying). Brighton fans, no doubt out of bias for your own man, believe he wasn't mistaken (and no doubt a few believe he couldn't possibly have been mistaken).

For Bong to report it, he must have known how difficult it would be, but still he had the courage to report it. It would've been far easier to ignore it, and hope he didn't hear anything else, but that way nothing ever changes.
I hope every person who is abused, whether racially, homophobically, sexist or any other type of discrimination continues to report it. It's the only way it will eventually be stamped out.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

F#ck Off - That comment is actually worse than some of the stuff I have heard on the subject. And here is me advocating to let it all rest and then you make a comment like that.

This is my last post on this subject but based on those 6 words you used on the subject mate ''you so need to be educated in evolution in race issues over the last 40 - 50 years'' - I can only assume you are no older than in your early 20s

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Let's be clear about one thing: it's absolutely rightly.

If there is any chance of racism being stamped out then it HAS to be reported where it is believed it has happened, to allow an investigation to take place.

Tell me: If Rodriguez had been found guilty, do you believe there are elements of your support who would still abuse Bong, even though it had been proven that he was racially abused?

I don't mean "rightly or wrongly" whether he should of reported it, but "rightly or wrongly" whether Rodriguez actually said what Bong thinks he said.

But yes, there are elements of our support who would still abuse Bong even if Rodriguez was proven guilty beyond doubt, but that would more likely be because (as Saturday's arrests imply) not all our fans are squeaky clean. As I say, they will get a life ban if convicted.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I look forward to hearing their defence for which the incredulity will only be matched by its outlandishness.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The state of the pair of em on FB :ffsparr:

Just about sum up Burnley FC in a nutshell.

I do hope there is a reception committee of sorts waiting for them on the 14th of March...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It was bound to happen, the majority of the Burnley team against us were white English players, does that give a hint about the area ?

I don't think it does, no.

I think Burnley's squad being predominantly, or entirely, white says more about their recruitment than it does about their town or its inhabitants ie they buy players who they need irrespective of their skin colour.

If we're using the ethnic make-up of a squad as indicative of the town the club finds itself in then our squad on Saturday was made up of, roughly, 27% BAME players yet Brighton & Hove, as of the 2011 census, is 80.5% white with the rest made up of:

8.5% Other White
3.7% Mixed Race
3% Asian
1.5% Black
1.1% Chinese
0.8% Arab
2.1% Other

Interestingly the 2011 census also has Burnley as 87% white, not far off from our glorious utopia.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Boring, pointless. Mind you, I never get involved with booing ex-Blackburn players either, unless they have done something egregious. But the booing wasn't because Bong has dark skin, it was because [EDIT - the result of Rodriguez' stupid comments and the fully justified reporting of them by Bong, whether Bong was right or wrong in what he heard, result in trouble END OF EDIT] for someone Burnley fans regards as "one of their own".

[EDIT because what I wrote has been widely misinterpreted so I hope to make it clearer. It's been quoted many times so there's no difficulty in seeing what I first wrote.]

You could end up in court yourself with earlier comments like that.

Pea brain.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It was bound to happen, the majority of the Burnley team against us were white English players, does that give a hint about the area ?

I can only think of Aaron Lennon recently who's put on a Burnley shirt but I think he's gone back to Everton.

The poor guy was suffering with depression before he headed to that dump.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Sounds like a father taking his son to the game, and they bond over some mutual racial hatred. What a heartwarming tale.

"Gee whizz Paps. Why are you making that rather silly noise at that man"
"Well little NATH. Sometimes we have to let bad men know they are bad men"
"Like a public service dad?. Wow. That's very noble. What did the bad man do"
"He legitimately believed he was racially abused but it was never proven right or wrong as there was no conclusive evidence".
"BOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

A great example set by the older bloke. Dad?

Funny that they will have to come all the way back down for court appearances. A copper recently told me that really grates with defendants from other parts of the country. What a shame.

Just as a note - not that it makes any of this any better...

It was the 18 yr old who has been charged with racism - it would appear his dad is just a loud mouth aggressive toss pot who when his son was being ejected from the ground, kicked off about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here