Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan charged with racially abusing Gaetan Bong

Pickles

May 5, 2014
they are all good role models to the kids look how this lot have been dragged up
e7cbbd833c193be3838289eee274dcf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Devils advocate here.....

I went up there to the game when CMS did the overhead kick, probably 8 years ago? We won 3 - 0.

Leaving Burnley, on the coach back home, it was pretty slow.

A group of young Burnley lads started banging on the coach in traffic, not with anything sinister in mind, they were just saying how well we played that day, with thumbs up and smiles all round.

I'd love to think that it was one of those guys being the ones that blew the the whistle on the twats.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It was bound to happen, the majority of the Burnley team against us were white English players, does that give a hint about the area ?

English + white = Racist!

Really? Never had you down for being that stupid.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
they are all good role models to the kids look how this lot have been dragged up
e7cbbd833c193be3838289eee274dcf6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And you believe a sizeable proportion of Albion fans never behave like that? :facepalm: FFS, it’s football, it’s tribal.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And you believe a sizeable proportion of Albion fans never behave like that? :facepalm: FFS, it’s football, it’s tribal.

I get that, I’m pleased that it hasn’t been sanitised. Swearing chants and wnkr signs are fine by me.

But don’t you think there’s a smell of something more criminally sinister amongst the fans of some clubs? Anti semitism, but more often colour racism?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Great to read that Burnley fans reported someone for allegedly being a racist prick. A few weeks ago someone stated that there was an Albion fan being racist at the Man U game but he did nothing about it other than mention it on here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
English + white = Racist!

Really? Never had you down for being that stupid.

Except he didn't say that at all, did he?

There is a kernel of truth in what he's suggested. Go and look at the ethnic make up of all Premier League clubs' squads over the last few years. Then look at Burnley's. The difference is SO stark that it can't just be coincidence.

Maybe prospective black signings don't fancy playing there, in front of that crowd? Maybe the club themselves shy away from signing black players, because of the potential of their fans 'not taking to them'?

No idea what the reasons are, but on a purely statistical level, it IS a thing.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Only 2/30 non-white players in the Burnley first team - Aaron Lennon and Daniel Agyei. All six coaches are white.

Their U23s and U18s look a bit better; perhaps they're slowly entering the 20th century...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, he shouldn't have kept quiet. I should have put it slightly differently from "he caused trouble" - but the result of Rodriguez' stupid comments, whatever they may have been, and Bong's reporting of them, however accurate he may have been, was trouble for Rodriguez.

Burnley fans, no doubt out of bias for our own man, believe that Bong was mistaken (and no doubt a few believe he was lying). Brighton fans, no doubt out of bias for your own man, believe he wasn't mistaken (and no doubt a few believe he couldn't possibly have been mistaken).

Some of the more sensible fans on both sides are completely neutral over this. Nothing was proven, so I wouldn't boo Rodriguez - I'm actually prepared to believe Rodriguez didn't say anything racist AND that Bong thinks he heard something that was. But for you to be posting that "he caused trouble" as an excuse for the booing is as others have said, probably worse than the simpletons doing it. At least some of those clowns will retrospectively have a word with themselves and actually admit they shouldn't be booing him.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Only 2/30 non-white players in the Burnley first team - Aaron Lennon and Daniel Agyei. All six coaches are white.

Their U23s and U18s look a bit better; perhaps they're slowly entering the 20th century...

Our chairman is white, and the CEO is too. I wonder how many members of our board are white as well? Racist club are we?

Easy to quote numbers and facts that actually prove nothing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

And even then - Lennon isn't probably considered 'properly black' by the local Neanderthals, and the other kid is a million miles from a Burnley first team player. They had a winger on loan from Spurs last year - George Kevin NKudu. They never actually played him though, obviously.

Maybe if they actually got themselves a slightly more 'balanced' side, then it would start to change (or at least force the culprits to hide their) attitudes a bit. Would entire stands join in the race-related* heckling of Gaeten Bong, in a match where their own side contained 3 or 4 black players of their own? Less likely, I'd suggest.

(*Anyone about to type about how it wasn't at all race-related, etc - save your fingertips. You know what you are).

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
(*Anyone about to type about how it wasn't at all race-related, etc - save your fingertips. You know what you are).

Going off on a tangent, it is that exact holier than thou, I know better than you, attitude that caused Brexit.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And even then - Lennon isn't probably considered 'properly black' by the local Neanderthals, and the other kid is a million miles from a Burnley first team player. They had a winger on loan from Spurs last year - George Kevin NKudu. They never actually played him though, obviously.

Maybe if they actually got themselves a slightly more 'balanced' side, then it would start to change (or at least force the culprits to hide their) attitudes a bit. Would entire stands join in the race-related* heckling of Gaeten Bong, in a match where their own side contained 3 or 4 black players of their own? Less likely, I'd suggest.

West Brom have a black manager, have widely been considered leading the way in race issues with Cyril Regis, Cunningham etc but that didn't stop a good booing for Bong.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
No offence, but you seem an absolute MORON.
At least he hasn't blamed Liverpool fans. Yet. You are an astute judge of character.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At least he hasn't blamed Liverpool fans. Yet. You are an astute judge of character.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

As the saying goes,’You ain’t worth it’.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
West Brom have a black manager, have widely been considered leading the way in race issues with Cyril Regis, Cunningham etc but that didn't stop a good booing for Bong.

That's a fair point. At least the (original) issue in hand was concerning their own current player. Some will have misguidedly felt they were showing support for him.

I very much have the impression that for some Burnley fans (in the game up there, more so than Saturday) that they just latched on to the opportunity to have a good BOOOO at a black man, like the good old days.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I ask awkward questions, put me on ignore if you don’t like it. :wave:

:lol: There was me thinking you moan constantly and chuck out a few dodgy opinions. They're actually awkward questions!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here