Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Marmalade - what’s your recipe?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are you going to claim that you made an identical post because the first one was slow appearing...... over 1 hour previously??
This was from my phone and I thought I had written it but not posted it when I picked up my phone an hour later... I wouldn't have posted this twice, an hour apart.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’d tend to use preserving sugar rather than granulated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do with low pectin fruits such as strawberries, but oranges are so packed full of it, I don’t find I need the extra help to set it. Horses for courses though.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sadly Dean Ford passed away in January.

Yes, I found that out myself in the course of preparing my post.
Now that his death has been officially confirmed perhaps a minutes silence /applause on Saturday might be considered appropriate.

Perhaps accompanied by a few 'Reflections on my 'his' life'.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I usually make two sorts... Three fruits (Seville/Grapefruit/Lemon) fairly pale colour and with very finely shredded peel, and then a dark and chunky Seville only version.

Darkness caused by boiling longer (and therefore thicker set too), or by judicious use of darker sugar (Demerara? Other?) ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Adding a small amount of soft dark brown sugar, and additional boiling. But it is quite tricky not to end up with glue :)

Yep. I ended up with 11 pots of glue last year. Gone back to my old faithful this...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Take two slices off bread (white or brown, according to choice);
Place under a hot grill until medium brown;
Turn the bread over and repeat;
Remove rom heat, and generously spread with fresh butter (low fat spreads are available for those frequently accused of eating all the pies);
Place a heaped tea-spoonful of marmalade on each slice, and spread evenly over the toast.
Slice the toast diagonally, and serve with hot sweet tea.

Poncier versions are probably available

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Quirky fact: the word 'marmalade' derives from its Scottish origins, where housewives would ask their children/husbands/milkmen if they wanted "more, ma lad?" Beats me how the Scots were able to get hold of oranges in Victorian times.
Rubbish. It's derived from a Portuguese word. I went to the birthplace last summer in the hills in the Algarve. The Portuguese started making quince and orange marmalade. Mine's simmering now. Lovely stuff.
My preferred recipe is:
1kg Seville oranges
2 lemons
1kg of preserving sugar
100g dark muscovado sugar
2 litres of water

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Attachments