Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Marmalade - what’s your recipe?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Mine’s a bastardised version of Nigelllllll Slater’s.

11 Seville oranges
1 sweet orange
2 lemons
1 lime
1.25kg of unrefined granulated sugar.

Peel all fruit. Slice peel into chunks of desired thickness. Juice all fruit into bowl, reserving all pulp and pips. Make juice up to 4l with water, put chunks of rind into it and store for 24 hours. Put pulp and pips into muslin.

24 hours later - push muslin bag under surface of liquid, and hot simmer for about 45 mins (until peel is soft). Remove muslin bag, squeeze it tightly and put anything that comes out into the liquid. Add sugar. Bring to rolling boil and wait until it’s at setting point.

Leave for 20-30 mins. Pour into jars.

Makes ~6lbs. So I multiply by 3.

Your recipe?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Recipe? Ok ... (Three easy stages)

1 - Go to supermarket
2 - Buy jar of marmalade. Either Roses Lime or something thick cut if it's orange.
3 - Come home

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Quirky fact: the word 'marmalade' derives from its Scottish origins, where housewives would ask their children/husbands/milkmen if they wanted "more, ma lad?" Beats me how the Scots were able to get hold of oranges in Victorian times.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Recipe? Ok ... (Three easy stages)

1 - Go to supermarket
2 - Buy jar of marmalade. Either Roses Lime or something thick cut if it's orange.
3 - Come home

Beat me to it but not Roses lime :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I usually make two sorts... Three fruits (Seville/Grapefruit/Lemon) fairly pale colour and with very finely shredded peel, and then a dark and chunky Seville only version.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
In Brazilian Portuguese marmalade (Marmalada)
means “A complete balls up”.....

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Dean Ford – lead vocals, guitar, harmonica

William Junior Campbell – vocals, guitars, keyboards

Patrick Fairley – vocals, 6 string bass/rhythm guitars

Graham Knight – vocals, bass

Alan Whitehead – drums

marmalade-obladi-oblada-1984-2-s.jpg

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia

11 Seville oranges
1 sweet orange
2 lemons
1 lime

Peel all fruit. Slice peel into chunks of desired thickness. Juice all fruit into bowl, reserving all pulp and pips. Make juice up to 4l with water, put chunks of rind into it and store for 24 hours. Put pulp and pips into muslin.

24 hours later - push muslin bag under surface of liquid, and hot simmer for about 45 mins (until peel is soft). Remove muslin bag, squeeze it tightly and put anything that comes out into the liquid. Add sugar. Bring to rolling boil and wait until it’s at setting point.

Your recipe?

Very similar but very important after adding sugar simmer gently until sugar has dissolved completly THEN boil. if you dont do this the marmalade will be very grainy.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud

11 Seville oranges
1 sweet orange
2 lemons
1 lime

Your recipe?

Sounds really easy and satisfying to make. A real sense of achievement.

I'd probably burn down the kitchen and lose an eye in the process sadly.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A friend of mine makes her own. Waste of time if you ask me.

Every time she visits me she brings me a jar of it and every time i move house each and every one of them gets thrown in the bin.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Anybody know the difference between jam and marmalade?

you can't marmalade your dick up a girls bum?

or

Conserves are a lot like jam but are made from combining fruit and sometimes raisins, nuts, and coconut. Marmalades are usually made of citrus fruits and contain pieces of the peel suspended in a transparent jelly. Fruit butter utilizes the pulp of the fruit, cooked with sugar into a thick spreadable mixture.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
you can't marmalade your dick up a girls bum?

or

Conserves are a lot like jam but are made from combining fruit and sometimes raisins, nuts, and coconut. Marmalades are usually made of citrus fruits and contain pieces of the peel suspended in a transparent jelly. Fruit butter utilizes the pulp of the fruit, cooked with sugar into a thick spreadable mixture.

Yeah, just the first one :thumbsup:

Conserves, transparent jelly, whatever

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
2lbs Seville oranges, 2 lemons, 2lbs sugar. I think.

Quite like some grapefruit and a bit of shredded candied ginger added late on for a variation

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
This is a traditional Scottish Recipe

***********************************************************************************************************************************
JANE’S MUM’S MARMALADE

2 lb Seville oranges
2 lemons
9 lb sugar
7 pints of water + ½ pint water

In a small pot – add ½ pt water + juice ( and pips and and pith ) from all of the fruit . Boil for 30mins.

In jam pan add finely chopped peel of fruit + 7 pints water. Sieve the contents of the small pot and push through with a spoon. Try to get as much through the sieve as possible as this is the main source of pectin.

Soak fruit overnight (with the contents of the small pot through sieve)

Bring fruit to boil and add sugar.

Boil for at least 60mins or until forms a soft skin after cooling on a plate in the fridge.

Should make around 15lbs of marmalade

***********************************************************************************************************************************

I have made 30lbs so far this year. The longer you leave it the darker and more nutty the taste. Add pectin if you like it really jelly like.

I have about 3kg of home grown small oranges that are seriously bitter and plan next week to make the above with a trivet of shredded fresh ginger inserted into the overnight soak.

Love it me.....

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here