Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Minutes silence before every game?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
First minute's applause I can remember was at Withdean when Alan Ball died. Clearly remember thinking WTF.

Bored now with clapping like a seal for little or no reason at all. Instead I'll observe a minute's silence, which can be taken whatever way it's taken.

I got the initial "applause" because it was spontaneous - Old Trafford when a minutes silence for George Best, became a minutes applause and just seemed right - but it has now almost become the extension of true grief, a halfway house if you like. If something happened, that would have always got a minutes silence, then it still does - eg Remembrance Day, or the response to the helicopter crash at Leicester. But it just seems to me, that now we have this option of a "minutes applause" it seems to be used just in case someone thinks we're being insensitive if we don't mark the passing of someone.

"Should we mark this in some way? Maybe a minutes silence."
"Hmm, dunno really, they're nothing to do with the club are they."
"They did play against us twice."
"Hardly gone down in our history though, have they."
"How about a minutes applause then?"
"Yeah, ok, shows football is all 'one big family' I suppose".

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
"And the fans are applauding in the first minute to mark the number 1 for Gordon Banks. A truly touching tribute there".
"And now as we enter the 2nd minute, the fans applaud to mark the number 2. Gordon's favourite starter from his local Chinese restaurant"
"And now the fans mark the 3rd minute with a standing ovation. Gordon LOVED De La Soul with "magic number' being widely known as his favourite ditty"

And what will we celebrate in the 69th minute ???

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I assume we are holding a minutes silence ahead of our home game against Southampton, to mark the death of our country at 11pm 29 March 2019

On a serious note, the number of times we are being asked to remember or celebrate someones life at kick off or during the game is getting silly.
I didn't join in the applause on Saturday because I didn't believe it was warranted given the player had no connection with the Albion or was a national legend

The problem no doubt is if the club hadn't held the applause on Saturday PBs inbox would be stacked full of people demanding to know why the club hadn't held such a mark of respect.

I would prefer if we just left it to Remembrance Day and the last home game of the season (or year) for other associated with the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With the increasing number of these in tribute to those not just from world of football or even remotely connected to the Albion, but public figures and of course the annual remembrance for those who served their country, should we now not just have either: a single 'BAFTA' style remembrance where everyone can be remembered together annually (keep forces one separate obviously). Or should we just have one every week, where 'this weeks' fans, celebrities, victims of tragedies, former players, players of other clubs etc all be mourned together? That way, it doesn't feel discriminatory - because plenty pass without official acknowledgement - and anyone can ask the club to announce whomever / their name or picture be displayed on the screens. Football has, after all, become the new church in terms of public grieving so why not have the equivalent of a 'mass' each week? Thoughts?

Judging from your posts, the minutes silence it's your happiest minute watching the football. I feel you'd be better served with a minutes silence after the final whistle? :)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I may be wrong but I think Southampton have an 'All Saints Day' where all saints fans and passings for the year are remembered on that one day only, however I expect they also now partake in all these other out pourings of grief.

I have to admit I didnt take part in the applause befoe the game on Saturday and have question Cardiffs out pouring of grief over the last few weeks and would suggest we wouldnt have seen anything as great if the Leicester Helicopter incident had not happened earlier in the season and Cardiff had to follow suit.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
On Saturday didn't RR just make an announcement before the players came out that the clubs thoughts were with our friends from Cardiff accompanied by a picture of Sala on the screen. There was then a spontaneous applause until his picture was taken off the screen. It seemed a bit more informal/half-arsed than normal.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Remembrance Day is an exception and should be marked every year, forever.
It did seem odd clapping a footballer who signed for a Welsh club but never played for them.
So where does it stop. Gordon Banks won the World Cup and as such deserves a minutes silence/applause.
How about doing something different and all around the country have a minutes applause on the 66th minute, that would be fitting.

Shouldn't that be clapping on the 19th minute and a repeat on the 66th minute, just to really cover it!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Judging from your posts, the minutes silence it's your happiest minute watching the football. I feel you'd be better served with a minutes silence after the final whistle? :)

How odd.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's getting a bit silly. Cardiff player last Saturday, Gordon Banks no doubt this Saturday.

It's like the threads on here, and the BBC News coverage, every time some ninety year old from some shit Seventies sitcom dies and we all have to pretend that some naff jobbing actor touched all our hearts. It's bolleaux frankly.

Maybe time to call a halt and just stick a bit in the programme.

Tom,

I think you're an excellent poster on here but I disagree. It's winter where tragedies, illnesses and generally more deaths occur. Tributes should always be paid to famous footballers. I'd clap until my hands were sore or silence for however long. No worries mate. :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If its related to BHA, England or someone else truly exceptional Yes, everyone else No

Shoreham Air crash - Yes
Leicester owner - No
Player that was going to play for Cardiff - No
Gordon Banks - Yes

But what about national tragedies/disasters? We’ve marked them in the past. And why not the Thai chairman (Hugh investor, life cut short etc) versus someone who dies of old age after a good career decades ago that didn’t play for club or even country? You can’t just discriminate like that, it then becomes offensive if you ignore someone or something that isn’t marked in comparison to someone or some event that is. That’s where we’re at currently which is why I’d advocate a BAFTA type marking / or do one every week where fans can nominate / club can choose according to national and international events. There’s a lot to grieve about and we need a new approach to public displays. That at least we can all agree on. The need to display or show grief. To not do so is disrespectful.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Queen Mum silence was a bit irrelevant. Yes, she liked the gee-gee's but I don't think she ever attended a football match? ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But what about national tragedies/disasters? We’ve marked them in the past. And why not the Thai chairman (Hugh investor, life cut short etc) versus someone who dies of old age after a good career decades ago that didn’t play for club or even country? You can’t just discriminate like that, it then becomes offensive if you ignore someone or something that isn’t marked in comparison to someone or some event that is. That’s where we’re at currently which is why I’d advocate a BAFTA type marking / or do one every week where fans can nominate / club can choose according to national and international events. There’s a lot to grieve about and we need a new approach to public displays. That at least we can all agree on. The need to display or show grief. To not do so is disrespectful.

I advocate 30 seconds silence, followed by 30 seconds applause, before every single match to cater for both schools of thought and the passing of everyone in the period up to the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here