Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Minutes silence before every game?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With the increasing number of these in tribute to those not just from world of football or even remotely connected to the Albion, but public figures and of course the annual remembrance for those who served their country, should we now not just have either: a single 'BAFTA' style remembrance where everyone can be remembered together annually (keep forces one separate obviously). Or should we just have one every week, where 'this weeks' fans, celebrities, victims of tragedies, former players, players of other clubs etc all be mourned together? That way, it doesn't feel discriminatory - because plenty pass without official acknowledgement - and anyone can ask the club to announce whomever / their name or picture be displayed on the screens. Football has, after all, become the new church in terms of public grieving so why not have the equivalent of a 'mass' each week? Thoughts?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's getting a bit silly. Cardiff player last Saturday, Gordon Banks no doubt this Saturday.

It's like the threads on here, and the BBC News coverage, every time some ninety year old from some shit Seventies sitcom dies and we all have to pretend that some naff jobbing actor touched all our hearts. It's bolleaux frankly.

Maybe time to call a halt and just stick a bit in the programme.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's getting a bit silly. Cardiff player last Saturday, Gordon Banks no doubt this Saturday. It's like the threads on here, and the BBC News coverage every time some ninety year old from some shit Seventies sitcom dies.

Maybe time to call a halt and just stick a bit in the programme.

Think we've gone past the so called silly stage, Diana provided that watershed. Public grieving, and even so called 'competitive grieving', is here to stay, so how do we best manage because who 'chooses' whether a person is remembered or not and on what basis, what right do they have to call that? Hence the BAFTA or weekly 'mass' suggestions could provide a better way forward than sporadic almost weekly mourning that football matches have become.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Grief tourism is rampant, everyone has to show they care more than the next person. Totally out of hand now and makes genuine tributes meaningless.

Clap on some minutes as someone you never heard of has died just so you show how much you care

That's kind of why an annual or weekly 'section' of the matchday agenda that incorporates could make more meaningful. Because I think you're right, it's becoming meaningless and will become even more so as more and more especially tenuous associations with what is after all a football match / entertainment are marked.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Sounds heartless, but I totally agree.

I'm all for clapping an Albion legend at the ground before a game, or during a game - or someone relevant to the club, and I'd clap a legend of wherever at wherever they were important - but christ, we'll be clapping on the 15th minute for the Groundsman's cat who made it to a ripe old age next..

My exception to this rule would be Remembrance Day, or indeed anyone who has died serving this country protecting our freedom. That'd be relevant to almost each and every one of us at the ground....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Grief tourism is rampant, everyone has to show they care more than the next person. Totally out of hand now and makes genuine tributes meaningless.

Clap on some minutes as someone you never heard of has died just so you show how much you care

If its related to BHA, England or someone else truly exceptional Yes, everyone else No

Shoreham Air crash - Yes
Leicester owner - No
Player that was going to play for Cardiff - No
Gordon Banks - Yes

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Remembrance Day is an exception and should be marked every year, forever.
It did seem odd clapping a footballer who signed for a Welsh club but never played for them.
So where does it stop. Gordon Banks won the World Cup and as such deserves a minutes silence/applause.
How about doing something different and all around the country have a minutes applause on the 66th minute, that would be fitting.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I agree with the club or country sentiments. Banks was special.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I think they've lost any impact they had. The Sala one on saturday was way over the top for me. I've nothing against anyone who wants to make a public display of mourning, it's their choice. Mine was to continue eating my pie. It's a sad story, but it's no sadder because he's a footballer. Any death before someone's time is sad.

Gordon Banks should get applause from the clubs he represented, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I can more understand rousing applause for him, though - the only World Cup winning goalkeeper to play for England and a genuinely good bloke.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Which now leads to the problem where the issue is only going to get worse, not better, as whichever club / set of fans / organisation is the first to suggest it's got too much will forever be the pariahs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally, I think they've lost any impact they had. The Sala one on saturday was way over the top for me. I've nothing against anyone who wants to make a public display of mourning, it's their choice. Mine was to continue eating my pie. It's a sad story, but it's no sadder because he's a footballer. Any death before someone's time is sad.

Gordon Banks should get applause from the clubs he represented, but I don't think it should be mandatory. I can more understand rousing applause for him, though - the only World Cup winning goalkeeper to play for England and a genuinely good bloke.

First minute's applause I can remember was at Withdean when Alan Ball died. Clearly remember thinking WTF.

Bored now with clapping like a seal for little or no reason at all. Instead I'll observe a minute's silence, which can be taken whatever way it's taken.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"And the fans are applauding in the first minute to mark the number 1 for Gordon Banks. A truly touching tribute there".
"And now as we enter the 2nd minute, the fans applaud to mark the number 2. Gordon's favourite starter from his local Chinese restaurant"
"And now the fans mark the 3rd minute with a standing ovation. Gordon LOVED De La Soul with "magic number' being widely known as his favourite ditty"

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Sounds heartless, but I totally agree.

I'm all for clapping an Albion legend at the ground before a game, or during a game - or someone relevant to the club, and I'd clap a legend of wherever at wherever they were important - but christ, we'll be clapping on the 15th minute for the Groundsman's cat who made it to a ripe old age next..

My exception to this rule would be Remembrance Day, or indeed anyone who has died serving this country protecting our freedom. That'd be relevant to almost each and every one of us at the ground....

The groundsman's cat's dead? Shit, I hadn't heard. RIP. I met him briefly once. Lovely cat, down to earth and never hurt a single bird. A round of 'appaws' at the next game, for sure.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
If its related to BHA, England or someone else truly exceptional Yes, everyone else No

Shoreham Air crash - Yes
Leicester owner - No
Player that was going to play for Cardiff - No
Gordon Banks - Yes

I think this is about right. To be fair there was a time when it got out of control and I think the club realised that and pulled back a bit. Don't recall many in the last couple of seasons.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’ve been amazed the outpouring for Sala given no one really knew who he was prior to the signing/crash. Sad yes but shit happens. I posted last week about the loss of 10 youngsters at Flamingo’s training centre in Brazil. The thread fell off the page by the evening and that says it all really. A far bigger tragedy within the football family but barely a mention on mainstream tv.

Far too much clapping/silent minutes and don’t get me started on clapping at a certain time within the game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here