Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It was, as someone may say, a bag of sh*te

It was almost as depressing as Frank Lampards Derbys pathetic performance at local rivals Notts Forest last night.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Agree. Coogan refuses to do any advertising or publicity for MMM and it was triumphant. I need to watch last nights episode again and see what I think.

To me, Alan is the bored, middle aged radio host waking along the hard shoulder to buy bottles of screenwash from the garage minimart while singing Goldfinger to himself. Perfection.

I think he's at his best when at he's at a real low point. When, like last night, he has his mojo back and he's a bit arrogant again, it loses something.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think there was a bit (sure it caught my ear) when he was walking down the street and someone shouted "wanker". Assuming I heard it right that was particularly funny.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think there was a bit (sure it caught my ear) when he was walking down the street and someone shouted "wanker". Assuming I heard it right that was particularly funny.
It was "Partridge you wanker!!!" and yes it was very funny.

I think there was so much in the episode that those slagging it off (unless not Partridge fans obviously) should firstly, watch the rest of the series before passing judgement and secondly watch the episode again.

It's the first one and it's setting the scene. I loved it personally but it's often only with context, hindsight and multiple viewing that you can really appreciate great comedy.

I could be wrong of course and the rest of the series is total crap but I very much doubt it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I JUSt thought the way the camera's were zooming INTO his eyes when he was off AIR SHOWIng signs of anxiety, seemed much more like the office rather than the Partridge who manages to spin his awkwardness onto OTHER people thanks to his high sense of SELF esteem.

Basically, it seemed like it was trying to use a new type of humour, not the one which gave Alan Partridge its glory

The thing is Partridge is not the confident man in his early 40s with his own TV series and a girlfriend 13 years younger than him; this is a 63-year old man damaged by life. He's gone from signing a £1 million 5-year BBC contract with Chris Feather to being North Norfolk Digital's third worst paid presenter on £2K a year less than Wally Banter. He is a changed man, he has evolved (not REvolved).

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think he's at his best when at he's at a real low point. When, like last night, he has his mojo back and he's a bit arrogant again, it loses something.

But you have to have the pride before the fall.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was almost as depressing as Frank Lampards Derbys pathetic performance at local rivals Notts Forest last night.

Thank God for that, I'd have been worried if you'd enjoyed it!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The thick of it and the film I the loop were done of the finest tv comedy ever made imho. Then VEEP cane along and that was brilliant too

All about immanuci.

Yep.

The series’ with Rebecca Front were truly wonderful. She even managed to upstage Malcolm Tucker.

The ending of In the Loop summed up British politics better than anything I’ve ever watched.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep.

The series’ with Rebecca Front were truly wonderful. She even managed to upstage Malcolm Tucker.

The ending of In the Loop summed up British politics better than anything I’ve ever watched.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Incredible wasn’t it, but also taking the p out of big organisation culture. White boards, brainstorming, buzz phrases, ideas men dickheads working for both parties orchestrating all that, a team bonding week away at a country hotel.

So funny from start to finish.

Jul 7, 2003
Maybe it was me but I thought that was totally not funny and pretty poor.

The Martin clunes sitcom was a million times better!

IMHO

That Clunes programme could not be called asitcom as there was definitely no 'com'. Possibly one of the worst 30 minutes of TV this decade it failed to raise so much as a minor titter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Much much funnier on a second pass. Noticed a lot more. Definitely improves on a second viewing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Much much funnier on a second pass. Noticed a lot more. Definitely improves on a second viewing.

I gave it a second viewing yesterday, I would agree with you there is a lot more subtlety in between the more obvious moments. I even missed "Hi Jean" on first viewing :lolol:

Definitely better with a second look.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Caught up on episode 1 last night.

For some reason I was genuinely laughing out loud at the bit where Alan is watching the "washing your hands" video with that lady. I think it was the noise of soapy hands and his heavy breathing. Brilliant :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Caught up on episode 1 last night.

For some reason I was genuinely laughing out loud at the bit where Alan is watching the "washing your hands" video with that lady. I think it was the noise of soapy hands and his heavy breathing. Brilliant :lolol:

I think that was the point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here