Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Alan Partridge: This Time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Caught up on episode 1 last night.

For some reason I was genuinely laughing out loud at the bit where Alan is watching the "washing your hands" video with that lady. I think it was the noise of soapy hands and his heavy breathing. Brilliant :lolol:

Altogether now: '‘After the pee and poo has landed, please make sure that you’re clean handed:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I rather chuckled at "drive, drive, drive your car..."

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
It was absolutely cringe-inducing throughout with a smattering of genuinely very funny moments, what's more Partridge than that? Each incarnation of Partridge has been subtly different, and that takes some doing over this amount of time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think analysing humour as if it's a team selection or new formation is extremely cringe.

We should all be embarrassed (me included)

Coogan and Partridge has been around at the top of the tree for 30 years because his humour is carefully crafted, so what is wrong with taking the time to appreciate the craft?

It's like a fine wine - you don't just knock it back, it must be savoured.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Coogan and Partridge has been around at the top of the tree for 30 years because his humour is carefully crafted, so what is wrong with taking the time to appreciate the craft?

It's like a fine wine - you don't just knock it back, it must be savoured.

I think if he focused on the subtle humour at first, then approached a more aggressive/brutal display of cringe humour, this would allow for a more unsurprised chuckle when we're least expecting it. Don't get me wrong, Coogan is definitely using his strengths in the way he's deploying his jokes and the subtleness of his deliveries, I just think if he manages to learn a new way of brining the audience into a familiarity with Partridge, we'd be getting more consistent performances.

But nonetheless, in the words of Kevin Bridges, "great banter".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think if he focused on the subtle humour at first, then approached a more aggressive/brutal display of cringe humour, this would allow for a more unsurprised chuckle when we're least expecting it. Don't get me wrong, Coogan is definitely using his strengths in the way he's deploying his jokes and the subtleness of his deliveries, I just think if he manages to learn a new way of brining the audience into a familiarity with Partridge, we'd be getting more consistent performances.

But nonetheless, in the words of Kevin Bridges, "great banter".

Re the first part of your post, I think Partridge's humour has always operated on many levels - wordplay, facial expressions, slapstick, farce, tragedy, cringe, but to an extent his range is constricted by the events of his life. He is damaged and at the end of his career.

I think it would be an easier task to write a laugh out loud script for a younger, vainer, cockier, up and coming Partridge. These are the 'Abbey Road' days, those wanting 'A Hard Day's Night' aren't going to get that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I liked it, but agree the format will take some getting used to.
It's copying Larry Sanders a bit in that regard, but I think it has the potential to be very funny indeed.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Cringing already.

But not in the way the writers would have wanted. Dreadful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here