Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gordon Banks RIP

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No doubt one of our heroes when growing up. I remember everyone waiting for positive news when he had his car accident and lost the sight of one eye. It was the main news item which just shows his stature and love everyone had for him.

Yes the Pele save but there were many others such as saving a Geoff Hurst thunderbolt penalty in a cup semi final.
Many of his saves just looked routine due to his positioning.

A sad day RIP

I've also heard down the years the story of the 1963 FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough from my Dad who was there. Leicester beat Bill Shankley's Liverpool 1-0, with Leicester's goal coming from a single mistake in the first half. Liverpool then preceded to just utterly play Leicester off the park, and battered them with countless goal attempt, after attempt and shot after shot, being met by save, after save from Banks. He was unbeatable apparently. At full time, Ian St John headbutted the pitch in frustration.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
For someone of my age who watched the 1966 world cup as a 13 year old, that about sums it up - Even Pele had to applaud that save in 1970. A REAL Legend. A true hero as I grew up.
I was 8 in 66 and that's my first proper memory of football even though it was in black and white at the time.
Not until they released the film "Goal" later that I saw how good he was in the World Cup and that save against Brazil was unbelievable even to this day imho
RIP

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The greatest keeper for England. When I was a kid I can remember THAT save, & countless great saves for Stoke City, one that sticks in my mind was a penalty save in a League Cup SF, I think against West Ham. Breathtaking save back then. RIP, England legend, best ever keeper for the national team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What a player he was. He was an automatic choice for England at a time when we had an abundance of riches between the sticks. We'd probably have reached the final in 1970 if Banks hadn't gone down with the lurgy, A great, great keeper.

RIP

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For someone of my age who watched the 1966 world cup as a 13 year old, that about sums it up - Even Pele had to applaud that save in 1970. A REAL Legend. A true hero as I grew up.

I was 17 in 66, so remember it vividly.

I love this picture of Banksy and Pele together.

[tweet]1095268482176962560[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Very sad.RIP Gordon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As an aside I believe Andy Naylor is a Stoke fan due to Gordon Banks being his favourite player.

RIP - Legend

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sad day for football and a player who genuinely deserves a minutes applause this coming Saturday. Shocked to see that he was never knighted!!!

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
Gordon Banks R.I.P.

Another legend passed today.

Best goalkeeper we have ever seen.

Thoughts and condolences to his family and friends

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Very sad news

Did he play one half in the 75th centenary match?

RIP

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Truly saddened, an absolute legend. Should have been knighted years ago. Was lucky to have met him a few times, absolute gent. The save from Pele, still sends a chill down my spine, never tire of watching. RIP Banksy, the greatest for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here