Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aaron Ramsey: Arsenal midfielder signs £400k-a-week deal to join Juventus

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hmm, maybe a few things ....

Have you ever been to a sporting event in America? NFL? Baseball? They do stage events very, VERY well over there.
The ownership seems to work better. With the exception of the Green Bay Packers, all teams are owned by a single individual, someone held responsible for how the team operates. No mystery foreign investment consortium who vanish back at crucial times. The messes at Portsmouth, Blackburn and Birmingham would just not have been allowed to happen, and the Oyston's would have been removed long ago.
The rules committees work well, as the owners meet to approve rule changes each year. Team here will slag off say, the handball rule, but in American sport, changes are agreed and sanctioned by the clubs, so don't just complain about a rule, take ownership and tidy up the wording.

Overall, I admire the way American sports do seem to work towards making their sports as popular as possible. What changes can they make to produce an even playing field, to try to reduce the chances of having a single team dominate, what can be done for the betterment of the game .... whereas our sport is very much centered around individual clubs working for the betterment of themselves, even if the overall product suffers.

Unfortunately, many of these cannot be just introduced to our game, as the mindset here is different, or the structure just doesn't allow it. But going back to the original point, to have this level of above board, open book, reporting of finances seems an easy one to insist on, and a crucial one when we know that there is corruption going on, and the biggest friend of corruption, is a dark, secretive reporting requirement.
Yes but it all comes with the closed shop approach and franchises. With no promotion/relegation and the chance that your team could be moved half a country away because of money.

That's really shit.

Agree with what you've said though. In all other aspects they've got it right. But I guess the right stuff wouldn't work without the wrong.

Don't follow most US sports but I like NFL and the draft system is a good leveller. However, would I swap that for the chance that we could end up being Edinburgh Seagulls because some billionaire built a stadium there? No.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
If our average crowd is 30,000 paying average of £35/game (£1.05m/game) for 19 league games our total gate money would not pay his wages.
It wouldn't come anywhere near paying our squad's wages either.

Good point though. I wonder (El Pres) what Palace's match day income is when compared to their highest earning/costing players?

I bet it only covers Barn Door Benny and half a Mr Tumble or similar.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes but it all comes with the closed shop approach and franchises. With no promotion/relegation and the chance that your team could be moved half a country away because of money.

That's really shit.

Agree with what you've said though. In all other aspects they've got it right. But I guess the right stuff wouldn't work without the wrong.

Don't follow most US sports but I like NFL and the draft system is a good leveller. However, would I swap that for the chance that we could end up being Edinburgh Seagulls because some billionaire built a stadium there? No.

Can't explain why, but the absence of promotion and relegation really isn't a problem in NFL/MLB which are the two sports I follow. That classes as one of the things we just couldn't do over here for many reasons, and I wouldn't ever want us to try, but because the playing field is so level, you don't have teams just mooching around where they are with minimal ambition. Dead rubbers at the end of the season are far more common in the EPL even with it's relegation, and Champions League spots at the top, than you get in the NFL with the "closed shop".

The franchise bit is what brings a lot of the control over owners, and develops the collective feel which brings about decisions made for the good of the sport rather than purely your own self interest, which again the horse has bolted here, even if we wanted to. Franchises moving around the country doesn't actually happen as much as you might think. Although there are 3 currently who have just moved, or are about to move, there really are only a handful, and sometimes a name changes, without it being a move as such, eg Phoenix Cardinals becoming the Arizona Cardinals. But yes, I do agree, I would hate for that to be a regular thing with our football, and if you ever see the documentary on the Cleveland Browns leaving Cleveland in 1995, it's heartbreaking.

The drafts are superb levellers, but again, not something we could introduce.

So, yes, in summary, there are plenty of things I like about American Sports that we don't have, but very few could actually be introduced to football, beyond the above board, open reporting of what people pay and are paid.

kjgood

Good for him I think. If the deal was on offer then why not? if a rival company offered to double or triple what I currently earn for doing the same thing then of course i would consider leaving why wouldnt you? Also he stands the chance of actually winning something important, that he wont achieve with Arsenal or Wales. (Yes I know he's won the FA Cup three times)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Player wage inflation just got that bit more inflated, and we all pay for that.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Good luck to him. The one thing I've learnt in the last week is you can't take it with you. Hope Aaron treats himself to some luxury and is treated like a king if he does the business, which I'm sure he will.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Out of interest, does anyone know what the Russian players were paid for appearing in the 1966 world cup. I seem to remember it being a very low wage.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here