Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aaron Ramsey: Arsenal midfielder signs £400k-a-week deal to join Juventus

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I wish we'd adopt the American way of declaring wages and drop this working man's 'per week' pretence as if they picked up a wodge of cash at the end of each week like a manual labourer in the 1950s. The Americans often show the full contract value, so in those terms Ramsey's deal is worth 83.2 million

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wish we'd adopt the American way of declaring wages and drop this working man's 'per week' pretence as if they picked up a wodge of cash at the end of each week like a manual labourer in the 1950s. The Americans often show the full contract value, so in those terms Ramsey's deal is worth 83.2 million

Why can't the yanks adopt how we do it?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Well they could, but I think the Americans are more honest. When we quote salaries in terms of 'thousands' it tends to obscure the truly vast amounts of money they're being paid. I'm not even sure a lot of British people (given the standard of education) are even aware that if you earn 400k a week that it equates to a lot more than a million a year. (Remember the gasps when it was revealed that cricketer Joe Root was earning a million a year).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well they could, but I think the Americans are more honest. When we quote salaries in terms of 'thousands' it tends to obscure the truly vast amounts of money they're being paid. I'm not even sure a lot of British people (given the standard of education) are even aware that if you earn 400k a week that it equates to a lot more than a million a year. (Remember the gasps when it was revealed that cricketer Joe Root was earning a million a year).

More than a million per MONTH...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FWIW Ramsey is a brilliant player, who looks better still in a good team.

Look back at the spell when Arsenal were the best team in the country to watch. Look back at the goals they'd score, at the end of brilliant one-touch passing moves - Ramsey was central to most of them.

He'll be a great signing for Juve*

*fitness permitting

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He is a very ordinary player with nothing remarkable about his game at all. He had one season where he scored a lot of goals but since then he's been bang average.

An unusual signing for Juventus but it doesn't really matter if they have an average player or two in their squad, they've got more than enough to walk the league.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
He is a very ordinary player with nothing remarkable about his game at all. He had one season where he scored a lot of goals but since then he's been bang average.

An unusual signing for Juventus but it doesn't really matter if they have an average player or two in their squad, they've got more than enough to walk the league.
Yeah, a bang average one season wonder....

https://youtu.be/KRHmbXlbnaQ

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A quality creative player with a great work rate, he shone in some awful Arsenal performances. Juve know their football onions. A good addition to their squad.

Plus he showed great mental strength to recover from the disgusting assault by Shawcross.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
FWIW Ramsey is a brilliant player, who looks better still in a good team.

Look back at the spell when Arsenal were the best team in the country to watch. Look back at the goals they'd score, at the end of brilliant one-touch passing moves - Ramsey was central to most of them.

He'll be a great signing for Juve*

*fitness permitting
Spot on. I know I've posted a reel of his goals but it's his all round, creative play that makes him a really good player. That goal v Fulham being a case in point as he'd just come on and immediately started and finished the move.

I swear some people watch a completely different sport.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spot on. I know I've posted a reel of his goals but it's his all round, creative play that makes him a really good player. That goal v Fulham being a case in point as he'd just come on and immediately started and finished the move.

I swear some people watch a completely different sport.

With Allen and Bale, Ramsey has also shone at international level. Not to be sniffed at for a tiny nation, who’d endured almost 60 years of hurt. A proven CL and international class midfielder.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
With Allen and Bale, Ramsey has also shone at international level. Not to be sniffed at for a tiny nation, who’d endured almost 60 years of hurt. A proven CL and international class midfielder.
Remember thinking "Wales are screwed" when he was ruled out of the Portugal game at the Euros. All the stuff about them being a one man team was incorrect. They were a two man team (plus Allen was decent).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The difference between average to good players is consistency of performance. Ramsey doesn't hold down a permanent place in the Arsenal team because he blows hot and cold. I've nothing against him, I just think he's hilariously overrated based on the quality of the goals he has scored. As we know full well, all players come with a highlights reel but it doesn't mean they're doing it every game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

100%, really nothing special. Just makes no sense at all.

Football is just gradually eating itself

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Can't see why they would, or how that would be a good idea. American sports tend to have salary caps, and as such all of the financial dealings are made very public. You get to drill into all the contracts of all players, seeing what the contract is worth, what the signing on bonuses are, what the guaranteed money is.

https://www.spotrac.com/

I can't see them ditching that in favour of something where most transfers are "Undisclosed Fee" and someone's earnings are a red top headline always very conveniently rounded to a simple number per week.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can't see why they would, or how that would be a good idea. American sports tend to have salary caps, and as such all of the financial dealings are made very public. You get to drill into all the contracts of all players, seeing what the contract is worth, what the signing on bonuses are, what the guaranteed money is.

https://www.spotrac.com/

I can't see them ditching that in favour of something where most transfers are "Undisclosed Fee" and someone's earnings are a red top headline always very conveniently rounded to a simple number per week.
It's about the only thing that we could do with learning from the yanks.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The difference between average to good players is consistency of performance. Ramsey doesn't hold down a permanent place in the Arsenal team because he blows hot and cold. I've nothing against him, I just think he's hilariously overrated based on the quality of the goals he has scored. As we know full well, all players come with a highlights reel but it doesn't mean they're doing it every game.

Your original point was that he was a one season wonder. Now he "blows hot and cold" and that's why he has sometimes been on the bench for Arsenal.

Who else has been "doing it every game" for them anyway?

Your highlights reel comment has also already been answered btw. When Arsenal have been shite, Ramsey has generally still looked like a good player. When they've been good he's generally been their best player.

How does that make him "hilariously overrated"? You're just digging a hole into insaneland. :)

Oh and.... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ayers-at-euro-2016/aaron-ramsey-at-euro-2016/

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If our average crowd is 30,000 paying average of £35/game (£1.05m/game) for 19 league games our total gate money would not pay his wages.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's about the only thing that we could do with learning from the yanks.

Hmm, maybe a few things ....

Have you ever been to a sporting event in America? NFL? Baseball? They do stage events very, VERY well over there.
The ownership seems to work better. With the exception of the Green Bay Packers, all teams are owned by a single individual, someone held responsible for how the team operates. No mystery foreign investment consortium who vanish back at crucial times. The messes at Portsmouth, Blackburn and Birmingham would just not have been allowed to happen, and the Oyston's would have been removed long ago.
The rules committees work well, as the owners meet to approve rule changes each year. Team here will slag off say, the handball rule, but in American sport, changes are agreed and sanctioned by the clubs, so don't just complain about a rule, take ownership and tidy up the wording.

Overall, I admire the way American sports do seem to work towards making their sports as popular as possible. What changes can they make to produce an even playing field, to try to reduce the chances of having a single team dominate, what can be done for the betterment of the game .... whereas our sport is very much centered around individual clubs working for the betterment of themselves, even if the overall product suffers.

Unfortunately, many of these cannot be just introduced to our game, as the mindset here is different, or the structure just doesn't allow it. But going back to the original point, to have this level of above board, open book, reporting of finances seems an easy one to insist on, and a crucial one when we know that there is corruption going on, and the biggest friend of corruption, is a dark, secretive reporting requirement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here