Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aaron Ramsey: Arsenal midfielder signs £400k-a-week deal to join Juventus

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
very good player, but what the actual fudge?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Can a single player ever be worth more than £20m a year to a club?

Given that for Juve, this is about Champions League (it's not like AR will be getting them from the championship to the premier League and a £100m payday).

Just can't see where the club recoup this money.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On a free, I think. What they've saved in a massive transfer fee they can give away a bit in stupid wages...
DzI9MAJW0AA6I-X.jpeg]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On a free, I think. What they've saved in a massive transfer fee they can give away a bit in stupid wages...

not sure it works like that. sure, give a large signing on fee in leiu of transfer but making it a wage skews the whole market. and i dont think he'd get that sort of fee either. i do wonder how true the report is, perhaps a signing on fee is being paid in first year or something?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
not sure it works like that. sure, give a large signing on fee in leiu of transfer but making it a wage skews the whole market. and i dont think he'd get that sort of fee either. i do wonder how true the report is, perhaps a signing on fee is being paid in first year or something?

It’s probably lazy journalism to catch us with a headline, totting up his entire remuneration including the signing on fee, and dividing the number of weeks.

The media always do that with free transfers.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Arsenal made a right bollocks of this whole situation. Again. Fair play to Ramsey, when I've seen them recently he's generally been their best player. Plus he wanted to stay but they've spent too much to give him a contract similar to Ozil, which is what he deserved. A right mess.

As for the figures, yes it's a huge amount of money, yes it will obviously include signing on bonus etc which is paid to the player (and agents) instead of to a club (see Alexi Sanchez, Robin Van Persie etc it's "The Arsenal way").

But also, saying "£20m a year on one player is crazy" needs putting into perspective. Palace pay Benteke £6.5m a year and they paid £30m for him on a 4 year contract.

So he costs them £14m a year. Makes £20m a year for Ramsey look like a total bargain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Arsenal made a right bollocks of this whole situation. Again. Fair play to Ramsey, when I've seen them recently he's generally been their best player. Plus he wanted to stay but they've spent too much to give him a contract similar to Ozil, which is what he deserved. A right mess.

As for the figures, yes it's a huge amount of money, yes it will obviously include signing on bonus etc which is paid to the player (and agents) instead of to a club (see Alexi Sanchez, Robin Van Persie etc it's "The Arsenal way").

But also, saying "£20m a year on one player is crazy" needs putting into perspective. Palace pay Benteke £6.5m a year and they paid £30m for him on a 4 year contract.

So he costs them £14m a year. Makes £20m a year for Ramsey look like a total bargain.

Exactly.

Sigurdsson at Everton: Transfer fee of £45m (& wages for 5 years x 52 weeks at £150k) = £84m or £323,000 a week. For a player not at CL standard for Juve.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

*cough* plus the singing on fee *cough*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here