Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Is there a time for Jazz ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you don't know it, try Mats Gustafsson's stuff, The Thing, Fire! and Fire! Orchestra especially.

Listening to some now; thanks for the tip, a new name to me.

I see he's been playing with James Blood Ulmer, I bet that's some gig

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Love is like jazz
You make it up as you go along
And you act as if you really knew the song
But you don't and you never will
So you flaunt your mistakes and you make them until
They
Were you

Love is like jazz
The same song a million times
The same song a million times
In different ways
In different ways
"Strange Fruit" with and without wind chimes

It's divine
It's asinine
It's depressing
And it's almost entirely window dressing
But it'll do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlLEI8M2h0

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As a jazz lover, i also liked these couple of quotes

Jazz ain't nuthin' but a blues quartet falling down stairs

and a great man once said

I'd come into contact with Charlie Parker records and things like that, but they didn't hold my interest. I couldn't follow it. Same kind of argument that you'd get from people today, just "Huh, what are they doing? They just noodling around", you know. I mean, now I understand why they're noodling and where they're noodling, and I can tell the difference between good noodling and bad noodling, but without certain musical clues it just all sounded like noodles to me.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A wonderful compilation by the all knowing Eddie Piller, for those liking the lighter, cooler mod jazz.

242169-L-LO.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My one and only prolongued exposure to jazz was in a bar in Chicago called Andy's Jazz Club, where I spent a very pleasant evening sat at the bar with the missus, consuming pretzels, cocktails and lite beer. To my uneducated ear the band sounded very decent, although with jazz, I can never quite get away from the feeling that they're just making it up as they go along.

Anyway the place was rammed, the atmosphere was fantastic, and the ovations of wooping and clapping at the end of every track was somehow genuinely endearing (I'm not normally a fan of wooping). It was on of the best nights of our trip. Any jazz fans who find themselves in the Windy City should definitely check it out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My one and only prolongued exposure to jazz was in a bar in Chicago called Andy's Jazz Club, where I spent a very pleasant evening sat at the bar with the missus, consuming pretzels, cocktails and lite beer. To my uneducated ear the band sounded very decent, although with jazz, I can never quite get away from the feeling that they're just making it up as they go along.

Anyway the place was rammed, the atmosphere was fantastic, and the ovations of wooping and clapping at the end of every track was somehow genuinely endearing (I'm not normally a fan of wooping). It was on of the best nights of our trip. Any jazz fans who find themselves in the Windy City should definitely check it out.

Chicago is widely regarded to have been the most happening jazz city for a while, although London (see post above yours) is beginning to steal attention.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I'm starting to really enjoy jazz, but to a couple of venues in London, which have been good nights.

My Dad basically gave me all his vinyl collection when he and Mum moved last year, and that includes loads of jazz.

Trying to find out if there are any good places in Brighton to go and see jazz?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I'm starting to really enjoy jazz, but to a couple of venues in London, which have been good nights.

My Dad basically gave me all his vinyl collection when he and Mum moved last year, and that includes loads of jazz.

Trying to find out if there are any good places in Brighton to go and see jazz?

The Verdict in Edward Street opposite the Law Courts. Also a number of pubs have regular sessions often with free entry.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Posted before,yet why not more of this ? Springsteen fan me,yet class. Let,s get these decent tracks back online.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
To anti Jazz fans i get it,but stick a band on any market town square on a busy day and this will fly. Up Tempo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here