Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Eat in Fish & Chips in Brighton.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
In my experience a lot of seaside towns are flooded with poor quality fish and chip shops geared towards tourists. For the owners of these shops quality isn’t that important as their clientele are transient tourists rather than repeat regulars. People often assume for some reason that the quality will be good, perhaps because they have a romantic notion of fish being taken straight off the trawler locally and delivered fresh to the chippy, which i doubt is the case in most instances!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How about the chippy in woodingdean? Decent, close to the ground and park and ride and has quite a few tables and chairs that rarely seem to be used.

Thanks for the suggestion, but way off my route down to the game unfortunately, getting off the 17 bus in town, l would then have to change to a 2 or 22, and then how do l get to the ground?

By Park & Ride do you mean the Racecourse

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Oh my cod - I can’t believe that someone like Jack Straw hasn’t seen fit to chip in with a comment along the lines of this isn’t the plaice to be posting nice comments about bankers, particularly after the financial crisis.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just bought fish’n’chips for the first time from the Hangleton branch of Bankers.

Stunning grub, 10/10.

Their chips portions are huge, so unknowingly I over ordered. 2 large portions would easily have served 4 or 5.[/QUOT

I said the same on another thread I think that it was the one about Fish and Chips at The Amex., VFM, most definitely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just bought fish’n’chips for the first time from the Hangleton branch of Bankers.

Stunning grub, 10/10.

Their chips portions are huge, so unknowingly I over ordered. 2 large portions would easily have served 4 or 5.[/QUOT

I said the same on another thread I think that it was the one about Fish and Chips at The Amex., VFM, most definitely.

I saw that at the time and gave you a thumbsup.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Stunning grub, 10/10.

Their chips portions are huge, so unknowingly I over ordered. 2 large portions would easily have served 4 or 5.

Is it near the 5/5a/5b bus route? and it has tables presumably?

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
The likes of Bardsley's and Bankers are all well and good, (many thanks for suggesting them), but they have more organised restaurant seating areas, where it probably means paying more than l would do just for a take away. I was more thinking in terms of a local back street chippy somewhere,(a bit like Fillet's really), just with a few tbles inside where l could nosh the food.

Fussy aren't l?

A back street chippy is not going to be anywhere near the quality or quantity of Bankers, so its your choice

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
How about the chippy in woodingdean? Decent, close to the ground and park and ride and has quite a few tables and chairs that rarely seem to be used.

It’s alright. Friendly typical suburban chip shop. Nearest other one is rottingdean or elm grove though so bit of a captive market.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A back street chippy is not going to be anywhere near the quality or quantity of Bankers, so its your choice

I don't necessarily agree, I can't speak for Bankers as never eaten there, but certainly Fillets for instance, little more than a back street chippy in size, the quality and size of portion that they offer is excellent. Good value too.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don't necessarily agree, I can't speak for Bankers as never eaten there, but certainly Fillets for instance, little more than a back street chippy in size, the quality and size of portion that they offer is excellent. Good value too.

Without meaning to sound snobby, from my experience the quality of take aways like fish & chips is usually associated with the type of area it is in. For example fish and chips in somewhere like bankers on church rd hove is always likely to be better quality than say a chippie in woodingdean simply because the locals in central Hove have more choice , are more middle class because its an expensive area and less likely to eat at average or below average places , because they have lots more choice in central hove or central Brighton . With respect the level of choice in places like woodingdean or saltdean etc are not remotely the same

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here