Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ski/Snowboarding 2019

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Afternoon All,

I have just booked myself 5 days away in Les Carroz, just an hour from Geneva, £175 for flights and Accomadation.

Has anyone been to the resort before?

Where have people been/off to this year? I cant wait although a little concerned about trying to do it on the cheap.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Afternoon All,

I have just booked myself 5 days away in Les Carroz, just an hour from Geneva, £175 for flights and Accomadation.

Has anyone been to the resort before?

Where have people been/off to this year? I cant wait although a little concerned about trying to do it on the cheap.

Think you should be concerned.
accomodation.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We went to St Christoph (Arlberg, Austria) for New Year, and we're soon off to Schladming, Austria for a week.

Bound by school holidays, the sums involved with flights, lift passes, rental, etc are eye-watering. But skiing and mountain environments are a passion, so we wouldn't have it any other way.

I've been to so many resorts over the years, but never Les Carroz. That's a great price, have a lovely time.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We went to St Christoph (Arlberg, Austria) for New Year, and we're soon off to Schladming, Austria for a week.

Bound by school holidays, the sums involved with flights, lift passes, rental, etc are eye-watering. But skiing and mountain environments are a passion, so we wouldn't have it any other way.

I've been to so many resorts over the years, but never Les Carroz. That's a great price, have a lovely time.

I have never been to Austria, generally to do with price and the guys I go with have a prefernce for France or Italy. Whats it like in comparison?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
A week in Utah - Alta, Snowbird, Park City and of course Brighton. Good conditions - too much powder if anything with two half days because of avalanche danger and one night when we had to take an unplanned night at Alta Lodge as the road out was closed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have never been to Austria, generally to do with price and the guys I go with have a prefernce for France or Italy. Whats it like in comparison?

About half of UK skiers go to France - a combination of the nearest/easiest place to get to, a lot of high resorts so better snow, and/or a like for all things French.

People like Italy because everything is a bit cheaper.

Austria's amazing - many beautiful ski villages and small towns, the locals plus German/Dutch/Scandinavian/British guests love Apres Ski drinks after skiing and in many resorts in bars/clubs later on. Many legendary resorts and bars for that, for all adult age groups. Some of Austria's resorts have brilliant snow records, and throughout it's having it's best snow season for years whereas France/Italy really suffered for weeks earlier this season.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I spend half the year in Austria and absolutely love the skiing, apres ski and lifestyle here. Price wise, food and drink on the mountains and in the resorts is considerably cheaper than France and Switzerland, other than perhaps in the Arlberg region which tends to be more expensive than the Tyrol and Salzburgerland regions. Also, Salzburg Airport has numerous flights from the U.K. and is very well connected to a huge number of ski resorts. And, as mentioned earlier, the snow has been great this year, although temperatures are set to rise massively towards the end of this week.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Just flown back from a long weekend in Zell am See/Kaprun, I’m very lucky as I have a friend that lives there so costs me nothing to stay, just flights and lift passes.
3 days skiing on perfect snow and sunshine, it was snowing heavily when I left this morning.
Reckon I’ll get back out there again before the end of the season too !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I spend half the year in Austria and absolutely love the skiing, apres ski and lifestyle here. Price wise, food and drink on the mountains and in the resorts is considerably cheaper than France and Switzerland, other than perhaps in the Arlberg region which tends to be more expensive than the Tyrol and Salzburgerland regions. Also, Salzburg Airport has numerous flights from the U.K. and is very well connected to a huge number of ski resorts. And, as mentioned earlier, the snow has been great this year, although temperatures are set to rise massively towards the end of this week.

Lucky you.

Over the last 20 years I/we’ve had great holidays in a wide variety of resorts - St Anton, St Christoph, Kitzbuehel, Obertauern, Ischgl, Obergurgl, Schladming, etc, with time spent on other slopes such as Lech/Zurs, Mayrhofen, Tux glacier, Stubai glacier. Tend to avoid low altitude resorts in any ski nation.

Loads of short transfers from Innsbruck Airport too.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Going to Park City, Utah, for a week in early March. Plus as I live only 90 minutes drive from the closest ski resort in the Sierra Nevada I get to ski most weekends with the kids. We’ve just had two epic dumps and are set to continue one of the best seasons for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going to Park City, Utah, for a week in early March. Plus as I live only 90 minutes drive from the closest ski resort in the Sierra Nevada I get to ski most weekends with the kids. We’ve just had two epic dumps and are set to continue one of the best seasons for years.

In the past I’ve read about Mammoth having some gloriously snowy winters. Huge depths.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I’m off to Solden in a couple of weeks with some mates for a long weekend, ideal only an hour from Innsbruck. End of March going with family to Belle Plagne, went there last year and had great time.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Surprised how expensive it was for a day ticket for Park City - we had Mountain Collective passes which included 2 days at Alta and 2 at Snowbird but not PC.

A single ticket was about $140 - and that was two months in advance

But conditions were so good you couldn't really complain

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I’m off to Solden in a couple of weeks with some mates for a long weekend, ideal only an hour from Innsbruck. End of March going with family to Belle Plagne, went there last year and had great time.

Off there on Saturday- will give you a report.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Just flown back from a long weekend in Zell am See/Kaprun, I’m very lucky as I have a friend that lives there so costs me nothing to stay, just flights and lift passes.
3 days skiing on perfect snow and sunshine, it was snowing heavily when I left this morning.
Reckon I’ll get back out there again before the end of the season too !

We are off to Kaprun on Friday great little resort. Another one bound by school holidays as I now have to take the children, flights to Salzburg were eye watering over 2K for the family so its flight to Stuttgart and a 4 hour drive not idea but the £1400 saving will go towards several beers on arrival.

Spent many a year going to France and although the actual skiing is awesome I just got bored off the minimal character and rather sterile atmosphere much prefer Switzerland and Austria as all round holiday venues and over the last couple of years the snow has been more than good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here