Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Positives from Saturday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The rabbit croquette was back on, as a special, at Cin Cin on Saturday lunch time.

You?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On the third up at brighton and Hove GC playing in a near hurricane, against the wind, I chipped in from 30 yards.

Can't think of anything else

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do people honestly watch the game, or just make their minds up from the result?

Heaton pulled off a string of superb saves in that 1st half. March had a decent effort early, then forced a cracking save when it looked certain to be a goal. Gross (widely criticised) was also suffering at the hands of Heaton, who pulled off two great 1st half saves from his efforts, the second of which was a finger tip effort guiding the ball barely wide of the post, which was quite frankly incredible.

A nothing ball, became a through ball on goal because Dunk slipped over, and we found ourselves 1-0 down and incredibly unlucky to be there.

Second half, they scored two on the break, the second of which came from a clearance that had more of a place at Twickenham than the Amex. A sliding-doors moment on the day, where rather than having a penalty for 1-2, and all the momentum to attack for the equaliser, we find ourselves facing a penalty and going 0-3 down.

Yes we lost, to a team who operated a classic smash and grab, and did it well. But the level of doom and gloom I'm hearing is as if we are in Huddersfield position rather than our own.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I bought a Diet Coke in the ground, the bottle top was removed (wise move, as I was likely to go on the RAMPAGE otherwise), and I managed to drink the whole bottle without spilling any.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Heaton pulled off a string of superb saves in that 1st half. March had a decent effort early, then forced a cracking save when it looked certain to be a goal. Gross (widely criticised) was also suffering at the hands of Heaton, who pulled off two great 1st half saves from his efforts, the second of which was a finger tip effort guiding the ball barely wide of the post, which was quite frankly incredible.

A nothing ball, became a through ball on goal because Dunk slipped over, and we found ourselves 1-0 down and incredibly unlucky to be there.

Second half, they scored two on the break, the second of which came from a clearance that had more of a place at Twickenham than the Amex. A sliding-doors moment on the day, where rather than having a penalty for 1-2, and all the momentum to attack for the equaliser, we find ourselves facing a penalty and going 0-3 down.

Yes we lost, to a team who operated a classic smash and grab, and did it well. But the level of doom and gloom I'm hearing is as if we are in Huddersfield position rather than our own.

I nearly started a thread titled "Am I mental?" yesterday saying pretty much the same thing. Did we play excellently? No, but we played very well in places and were unlucky not to be ahead, and, possibly, out of sight before Dunk's unfortunate slip.

I've heard we played with no passion, heart and our players were just wandering around. Was that really the case, as we created chance after chance?

I've read that Dyche did a job on us. Strange job to allow your side to survive only by the repeated brilliance of your 'keeper, to rely on a defender losing their footing and to need one if not two definite penalties for the opposition to not be given.

On another day, we play exactly the same way and win 4-1. Would the "Hughton is too predictable and has no Plan B" crew be saying the same then?

However to temper that, I think back to Hyypia's tenure, the club's refusal to sack him due to the belief that we were just being unlucky, and results would come. I could make a case that we could have got more from each of the recent games against Burnley. Watford, Fulham, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham, Arsenal and Chelsea. Our performances merited considerably more than the meagre three point return from those games. Have we just been unlucky, and will that luck turn around?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
An over officious steward confiscated my bag of wine gums upon entry stating I might throw them onto the pitch. Probably saved me 300 calories although still felt a bit annoyed as they cost me £1.50.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Quite a few fans stayed until the end, more than I expected given the appalling second half!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
On another day, we play exactly the same way and win 4-1. Would the "Hughton is too predictable and has no Plan B" crew be saying the same then?

Pretty much everything you said, but to pick out the "no Plan B" bit, I'm really struggling with that when Plan A was working! We were really getting at them, and as mentioned, only behind due to Heaton's brilliance, and Dunk's unfortunate slip. What Plan B duid we need? Longer studs for Dunk, and encourage Dyche to bring on Joe Hart?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Far too level headed and accurate.

Looking at yesterday's game, I think we could beat Chelski :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me and Jnr had the ESL to ourselves.

Which was nice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Doom and gloom? Did you not read the rabbit croquette was back on?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Doom and gloom? Did you not read the rabbit croquette was back on?

Obviously, the doom and gloom I was referring to was the initial reactions Saturday and Sunday night, which seemed to be before the realisation struck people about this.

Fortunately, as a vegetarian, I wasn't waiting on this news to cheer me up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I'd agree almost word for word with that assessment of the match. And Attwell is just a poor referee, not just for the big mistakes, but general control of a match and players. Burnley were taking the piss out of him with the time wasting.

All that said, I think the most frustrating thing about this season is that we are a decent side, and we are in the process of wasting a really good opportunity to be clear of a relegation mess. There have been just too many points chucked away.

But we're in it good and proper now, we still have the ability to pull clear but it's about character now. In the past that has been a strong suit, so faith is called for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here