Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...could be Huddersfield.

Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 07.23.57.jpg

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
We need to get our shooting boots on! Instead of trying to walk the ball into the net, we seem almost pedestrian in getting the ball forwards sometimes! Bit of speed on the break would end our current malaise!

March is going to be the defining part of season 2018/19, as we have four basement battles! Thank fudge three of them are at home!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We need to get our shooting boots on! Instead of trying to walk the ball into the net, we seem almost pedestrian in getting the ball forwards sometimes! Bit of speed on the break would end our current malaise!

March is going to be the defining part of season 2018/19, as we have four basement battles! Thank fudge three of them are at home!

Agreed. Fair play to Burnley who went with 2 out and out strikers against us as the away team on Saturday. We don't even do that at home!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we create so few opportunities to score it ends up with a nimrod on 6-0-6 saying Hughton must go.

The system changes, we watch considerably more shots on goal and still Hughton must go.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s only a statistic that backs up what we’ve known not just this season; but last. We are an absolute bore feast in the PL, we add very little to the circus. A saggy old toothless lion in that respect! Still, we gave it a go and we’ve got a really good training centre, women’s team, community scheme, programme of the year, caterering facilities etc

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s only a statistic that backs up what we’ve known not just this season; but last. We are an absolute bore feast in the PL, we add very little to the circus. A saggy old toothless lion in that respect! Still, we gave it a go and we’ve got a really good training centre, women’s team, community scheme, programme of the year, caterering facilities etc

You can't be surprised CH was somewhat pragmatic in the Championship as well.
It's not like Kevin Keegan turned into Tony Pulis the moment his team got promoted.

A couple of big wins, each season, somewhat masked his 'defense first' approach then, the only difference now is ticking over with 1-0 wins isn't possible.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Did you actually watch the last two home games where we created chance after chance, but were met by two outstanding 'keeping performances?

Did you watch Fulham where we should have been three or four up, and with the game buried?

Did you watch Man Utd when, escaping with a single goal win, the United players celebrated as if they'd just won the Premier League?

We've been anything but a bore-fest.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Did you actually watch the last two home games where we created chance after chance, but were met by two outstanding 'keeping performances?

Did you watch Fulham where we should have been three or four up, and with the game buried?

Did you watch Man Utd when, escaping with a single goal win, the United players celebrated as if they'd just won the Premier League?

Goals. It’s about goals dear

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I get that people are concerned and care a lot - so do I. I just don't get the angst I keep reading. Is it just me that simply sees that we are settling in at our "level". I have read a number of posts suggesting that we have "failed to kick-on", and I just don't understand exactly what that means.. We are in the same boat, position, mini-league that just about all recently promoted teams are in. Our squad is stronger in depth than last season, but not a huge step up in class - how can it be? We have secured enough points to be above the releagtion zone. Who are the teams that have "kicked-on"? I can't see any - genuinely. Wolves are the only proimoted team bucking the trend - they have a different thing going on altogther. Even those teams who jhave been in a while - are they so far ahead of us? Palace, West Ham, Watford, Leicester, Bournemouth, Southampton, Burnely - fair to say that we are pushing to compete with them, and on any given day can beat any of those sides, certainly at the Amex. As indeed we can lose to any of them and those who share our most recent history : Huddersfield, Newcastle, Cardiff, Fulham. Some games will go our way, Newcastle, Wolves, West Ham (home), Others wont Watford, Burnley. Some should be seen out : Fulham, Leicester, West Ham (away), others we should have lost (Fulham (Home), Southampton.).
Every time we lose, this outpouring of "not good enough" "Time for change" etc - says a lot more about our fan base than the great atmospheres when we are winning games. We are fighting to stay in the most competitive league in the world. CH has found a formula that allows us to gain points, and has recently tried a different approach to see if we can convert 1 point into 3 points. The points tally in the early part of the season has given him the chance to experiment a little - he can now decide if he wants to revert back and become the hard to beat team for a while. We can then moan about the lack of attacking intent.
Th

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

I would say that our finishing has been terrible in the last couple of home games. Foster and Heaton are both very good, experienced International goalkeepers - you've got to do better than hitting the ball at them. March's shot on saturday underlined his lack of quality, either side of the keeper and we take the deserved lead. Instead, he hits the goalkeeper. Maybe it would have been enough in the Championship, but it's not nearly enough in the Premier League.

I enjoyed the game on saturday, having not enjoyed the Watford game. We still insist on playing two or three bottom end Premier League players, despite better options, and all the time that's the case we're going to be toward the bottom end of all statistics leagues. But we won't go down.

el punal

I agree. One of the most frustrating aspects about our play at the moment, in fact for most of the season, is our ponderous approach in attack. The number of times we have taken the “safety first” route of an extra pass - mostly lateral or backwards - to try and achieve a better scoring opportunity is so irritating. Momentum is lost, the opposition defence can then regroup and the advantage that we might have had is lost.

When I think back to our promotion season of 2016/17 we used to break with pace and skill and more often than not score. Agreed, though, the opposition were not of the same quality as that in the Premier League but there is no reason why the same approach cannot be executed now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Goals. It’s about goals dear

We are level 14th on goals scored.
We are also higher on the number of chances it takes us to score from;
And the number of chances that the opposition needs to score a goal;
And number of wins;
And number of losses;
And goals conceded;

and the teams that are below and just above us in the shot table are not Huddersfield and Fulham, but Burnley and Newcastle, two teams also not in the bottom three.
and we were in pretty much the same positions in those stat tables when we were eleven points clear of trouble.

MotD doing it's usual routine of presenting a pundit with a random cherry picked stat and asking them to say what they have been manipulated to infer. Pleased to see that Jenas didn't bite.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. Fair play to Burnley who went with 2 out and out strikers against us as the away team on Saturday. We don't even do that at home!
But they've done that all season and they're still below us in the table despite doing the double over us!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here