Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Complete And Utter Shyster, he's an arrogant SOB!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Would it be out of order on Saturday to hold up a sign saying: "Deany - can I have your shirt?"

:)

I heard a fan asked for an autograph when they saw him before whichever game he was reffing at the weekend... :shrug:

Personally I think it's bonkers that the peripheral figures around football become the story. And that includes managers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would it be out of order on Saturday to hold up a sign saying: "Deany - can I have your shirt?"

:)

You have to really sell it. Can't just be a bit of paper with that scrawled on it. You need a collage of Dean, preferably in the shape of, or framed by a heart. You've gotta go all out on it. Maybe dress in black primark-sourced ref kit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
In charge Saturday against Huddersfield.

They were talking on Goals on Sunday (i think it was that program) on why he didn't send off either Foyth or Bardsley for the tackles they made on Saturday in the Burnley vs Spurs game. The opinion of the pundits was neither would have been high enough profile players to be worthy of The Complete And Utter Shysters 100th red card. Given how much of a joke he seems to be with pretty much the entire football community isn't it about time he was put out to pasture. I suppose the only bonus is he won't consider anyone playing for us to be of a high enough profile either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They were talking on Goals on Sunday (i think it was that program) on why he didn't send off either Foyth or Bardsley for the tackles they made on Saturday in the Burnley vs Spurs game. The opinion of the pundits was neither would have been high enough profile players to be worthy of The Complete And Utter Shysters 100th red card. Given how much of a joke he seems to be with pretty much the entire football community isn't it about time he was put out to pasture. I suppose the only bonus is he won't consider anyone playing for us to be of a high enough profile either.

He reminds me of that other oaf former ref who occasionally does a bit of telly these days. He pretty much admitted it was 'all about me' when he strutted his funky stuff, in his little shorts and whistle. Our former head of department, no leader of men (or women) was a referee. It takes a certain mentality to appear to be in charge and yet always have the backstop of 'I am only interpreting the rules, I don't invent them' bollocks. 'Jobsworth' is that type of mentality.

Is there anyone on here who is a decent standard referee who also professes to humility, I wonder?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Managers get fined thousands for daring to question referees, and charged by the FA. Who sanctions the refs, apart from being 'relegated' to another division?
Maybe it's time to fine referees for glaring mistakes.

Managers aren't fined for simply making honest mistakes (neither are players). So why should referees be fined for it? I know people are frustrated with refereeing errors, bt they will always happen as long as they are human beings, who not only have to contend with the limits of their being humans, but also have contend with deceitful players (and managers and biased fans) who try and get whatever edge they can. Their mistakes affect the game. But rarely more so than every mistake made by players and managers.

Managers are sanctioned when they bring the game (or officials) into disrepute. Referees are also sanctioned for this (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...playing-rock-paper-scissors-kick-off-instead/ or https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kon...-kong-football-referee-suspended-three-months or https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/ano...algerias-mehdi-abid/jml6dy7pkm8f1byobj1x3sep1)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Managers aren't fined for simply making honest mistakes (neither are players). So why should referees be fined for it? I know people are frustrated with refereeing errors, bt they will always happen as long as they are human beings, who not only have to contend with the limits of their being humans, but also have contend with deceitful players (and managers and biased fans) who try and get whatever edge they can. Their mistakes affect the game. But rarely more so than every mistake made by players and managers.

Managers are sanctioned when they bring the game (or officials) into disrepute. Referees are also sanctioned for this (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...playing-rock-paper-scissors-kick-off-instead/ or https://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kon...-kong-football-referee-suspended-three-months or https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/ano...algerias-mehdi-abid/jml6dy7pkm8f1byobj1x3sep1)

I said glaring mistakes not honest mistakes. Not keeping up with play, and being out of position doesn't help. See the article in the post I quoted.
Some referees also ignore their assistant refs, when it is obvious the ball had gone out etc. It's arrogance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I said glaring mistakes not honest mistakes. Not keeping up with play, and being out of position doesn't help. See the article in the post I quoted.

I've seen the article you quoted, and to be honest I don't understand how it supports what you've said. It mentions nothing about Dean not keeping up with play or being out of position. Is an example of a referee being pulled from from a scheduled appearances after a controversy (almost like he is being sanctioned) and includes a comment from the manager apologising for his own behaviour acknowledging he crossed a line (that is, he went beyond what is acceptable behaviour by the football's established standards, not just made a mistake).

Also, a glaring mistake can still be an honest mistake. And still, managers and players aren't generally punished for glaring mistakes, so why refs? No being out of position doesn't help. Being off balance doesn't help when a strike loops a shot over the goal. But we don't fine players for that. We accept he's human and even the most basic of skills can be lost in the heat of the match.

Why not afford referees the right to be a human and make mistakes, even glaring ones, as long as their is honesty and usually a level of competency.?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've seen the article you quoted, and to be honest I don't understand how it supports what you've said. It mentions nothing about Dean not keeping up with play or being out of position. Is an example of a referee being pulled from from a scheduled appearances after a controversy (almost like he is being sanctioned) and includes a comment from the manager apologising for his own behaviour acknowledging he crossed a line (that is, he went beyond what is acceptable behaviour by the football's established standards, not just made a mistake).

Also, a glaring mistake can still be an honest mistake. And still, managers and players aren't generally punished for glaring mistakes, so why refs? No being out of position doesn't help. Being off balance doesn't help when a strike loops a shot over the goal. But we don't fine players for that. We accept he's human and even the most basic of skills can be lost in the heat of the match.

Why not afford referees the right to be a human and make mistakes, even glaring ones, as long as their is honesty and usually a level of competency.?

My apologies, the reference to referees not keeping up and being out of position was the sky sports news link in post #7. I read both articles in succession.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Dunk? Aren't England internationals high profile these days?

It will be Dale though, won't it? Revisiting one of his big hits

Nah he knows its all eyes on him for this 100th red card, he wants an Ageuro or a Salah, a Hazard or a Kane. He wants the headlines. I'm hoping one of the Huddersfield players gives him no choice on Saturday and totally spoils his party.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He reminds me of that other oaf former ref who occasionally does a bit of telly these days. He pretty much admitted it was 'all about me' when he strutted his funky stuff, in his little shorts and whistle. Our former head of department, no leader of men (or women) was a referee. It takes a certain mentality to appear to be in charge and yet always have the backstop of 'I am only interpreting the rules, I don't invent them' bollocks. 'Jobsworth' is that type of mentality.

Is there anyone on here who is a decent standard referee who also professes to humility, I wonder?

Mike Dean and Graham Poll. Both being eviscerated by Ian Wright on R5 now. It isn't just us, folks.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Lose against the foxes and then to be cheated by the shyster. Real possibility. Progress in the cup....1983. Again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here