Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Woodcock ( bird variety)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Sons and grandchildren over for dinner. Sitting in the front room when there was a load bang/thud on the glass door. When we checked it was a long beaked bird the likes of which I've never seen before. It had knocked itself out and there was claret on the patio.
We picked it up and put it into a box rather lifeless. An hour later it was more lively so we phoned Wadurs. They picked it up told us what it was and that luckily nothing was broken and they expect to release it in a couple of days. The guy had never seen this bird either.
Our good deed for the day

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sons and grandchildren over for dinner. Sitting in the front room when there was a load bang/thud on the glass door. When we checked it was a long beaked bird the likes of which I've never seen before. It had knocked itself out and there was claret on the patio.
We picked it up and put it into a box rather lifeless. An hour later it was more lively so we phoned Wadurs. They picked it up told us what it was and that luckily nothing was broken and they expect to release it in a couple of days. The guy had never seen this bird either.

Wadurs ? - can’t it swim

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This isn't a thread about Murray's new goalscoring technique is it? ???

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Oh I see, that type of bird after a night out on the red wine in Portslade. I’d keep your gate locked (bit rude about her beak mind)

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Love them.

33C83DD8-BEC6-43D1-A530-755C37936DB1.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Amazing birds, quite rare these days. They are normally nocturnal and rest up during the day in bushes in woodland. That's where my dog flushed one out, an absolute treat to see, the beaks are stunning.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

You don't normally see them during the day so that's the reason the guy may not have come across one. There aren't so many around these days either. They tend to hang around conifer.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ashdown forest at dusk a good place to see them

No doubt. We have them nearby at Broadwater Warren too. Ashdown Forest is awesome for any nature enthusiast.

Haven't seen many heffalumps or woozles recently though.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
You've got a conifer plantation there so it's likely a breeding ground.

They are adapted to both deciduous and coniferous forest. In fact the RSPB suggest that the increase in mature conifer woodlands could be one of the reasons why their numbers are in decline. In the winter there is every chance that any woodcock you see are actually Russian as about 1.5 million of them overwinter here.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] will be round like a shot. (Assuming it is an '82, naturally).

Bloody ‘82s and Robert Parker. A full, blousey vintage which is far too “hot”. Now, an ‘83, ‘85, ‘86, ‘89 or ‘90 (what a brilliant decade that was)? Now we’re talking. :wink:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I do a job every year in a house with shooting grounds on Dartmoor.
It's very expensive and they have some very rich people staying there to shoot.
Every year as I am driving down the long lane to the house there are hundreds of Woodcock and Pheasant in the road and hedgerows all ready to be beaten out and blasted.
Woodcock is delicious by the way, you should have killed and roasted it.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I do a job every year in a house with shooting grounds on Dartmoor.
It's very expensive and they have some very rich people staying there to shoot.
Every year as I am driving down the long lane to the house there are hundreds of Woodcock and Pheasant in the road and hedgerows all ready to be beaten out and blasted.
Woodcock is delicious by the way, you should have killed and roasted it.

People who shoot woodcock are scum - it is a red-listed bird (endangered)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here