Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
May have seen this last season...
44bc752f664207d740375b41cf326d95.jpg
d84483ec6f3f121773e3cb15a4fa8137.jpg

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's the inconsistency that upsets me especially now retrospective action is taken. Lukaku not punished for his assault on Bong, for example.
In real time, officials are human, and will make mistakes, but if footage is going to be used for suspensions then punish all the culprits, not just some of them.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
I would say there are three areas where refereeing of the game is not good.

First are the obvious bad decisions. VAR will help with these, but a team of highly-paid professionals should be able to spot these regardless.

Second are the on-the-pitch inconsistencies. You can't watch a game nowadays without referees letting one thing go then punishing a similar offence later on, decisions on fouls depending on where on the pitch they occur, and more.

Third are the off-the-pitch inconsistencies. The obvious example of this is that if an incident is in a referee's report no further action will be taken, but if not then a separate punishment can be given out. This allows players to get away with cheating, plain and simple.

I don't want to watch football to see who can get away with what, I want to see skill on and off the ball. The application of the laws needs to change so that it is consistent and cheating is properly punished.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you not think there are more game changing wrong decisions now, than say 10 years ago? I accept the officials are human, and will make mistakes, we all do, and I accept that they do have a more difficult job now, due to diving, and let’s face it, out and out cheating by some players, but, my point is, that the officiating by all the officials, including linos has reached a bit of a nadir in recent seasons. Until this last season I was never an advocate of VAR, I think it will slow the game, and lead to too many breaks, unless it is handled very well by the FA, but now, with the present refereeing standards I can’t see any other way of a fair game being delivered to all concerned.

There seems to be hardly a game go by now, that there is not a wrong , game changing decision by the officials.

I'm honestly not sure. I think if you'd asked me a season or two ago I would have been more confident in saying no. There are as many errors as there have always been, we just moved on and forgot about them in the past, either because we later benefited from mistakes, or because at the end of the season it didn't really cost us (or couldn't easily be pointed at the reason we finished where we did), or just because of the passage of time.

I'm inclined to think that is still the case, that a lot of the mistakes we're pointing to now will be forgotten by the end of the season (especially if we start getting results and stay up relatively comfortably), and next year when they happen in the safe frequency we'll start asking this question again.

Like I said in my first response, I'm can certainly understand that it feels like we're seeing more mistakes. Maybe it's that the mistakes are happening in our games more frequently than in the past but less frequently elsewhere so that overall it's no different it just feels worse from our perspective.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have been on the receiving end of some shit refereeing lately, however we got a bit lucky early season with decisions if my memory serves me right.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would say there are three areas where refereeing of the game is not good.

First are the obvious bad decisions. VAR will help with these, but a team of highly-paid professionals should be able to spot these regardless.

Second are the on-the-pitch inconsistencies. You can't watch a game nowadays without referees letting one thing go then punishing a similar offence later on, decisions on fouls depending on where on the pitch they occur, and more.

Third are the off-the-pitch inconsistencies. The obvious example of this is that if an incident is in a referee's report no further action will be taken, but if not then a separate punishment can be given out. This allows players to get away with cheating, plain and simple.

I don't want to watch football to see who can get away with what, I want to see skill on and off the ball. The application of the laws needs to change so that it is consistent and cheating is properly punished.

This, the inconsistency that sees Tomer Hemed ‘stamp’ last season on Lascelles(?) punished with a 3 game ban, and Tyrone Mings ‘ accidental tread’ on Nelson Oliveria not even being called in is bizarre, and calls the FAs whole retrospective disciplinary procedure into question.

That the Zaha stamp on Andone couldn’t be called in because his initial foul on Andone was punished with a free kick is a nonsense.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm honestly not sure. I think if you'd asked me a season or two ago I would have been more confident in saying no. There are as many errors as there have always been, we just moved on and forgot about them in the past, either because we later benefited from mistakes, or because at the end of the season it didn't really cost us (or couldn't easily be pointed at the reason we finished where we did), or just because of the passage of time.

I'm inclined to think that is still the case, that a lot of the mistakes we're pointing to now will be forgotten by the end of the season (especially if we start getting results and stay up relatively comfortably), and next year when they happen in the safe frequency we'll start asking this question again.

Like I said in my first response, I'm can certainly understand that it feels like we're seeing more mistakes. Maybe it's that the mistakes are happening in our games more frequently than in the past but less frequently elsewhere so that overall it's no different it just feels worse from our perspective.
I only use our club as an example of awful officiating as I watch our games more, and pay more attention, but I’m really talking about across the whole of PL football

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I actually think the assistants are more to blame, they stand there closer to some of these calls and do nothing.

Assistants are too scared to give anyhing now. The one in front of East Stand must have seen the handball yesterday. The 4th official totally pointless role too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assistants are too scared to give anyhing now. The one in front of East Stand must have seen the handball yesterday. The 4th official totally pointless role too.

Hmm brave enough to tell the ref to reverse the corner into a goal kick though...or was that the West Stand one, I was watching on a stream so may have mixed them up.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Are there more mistakes or are they just highighted more with TV You Tube and play backs etc.

this has been the case though for about 10 years. I'd be interested to hear the actual statistics on accuracy in the past few seasons - it FEELS like it's got worse, but it could just be hype/spin.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think they are no better or worse than before, its just with the TV replays we now get to see exactly what the decision should have been.

Think also in days gone by you'd have maybe 2 cameras covering the match and now there seem to be dozens so you get to see the same incident from every conceivable angle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here