Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has anyone blamed the Players yet?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Leaving the Amex yesterday, piss wet through and freezing cold, I was naturally down about everything. I then came home, had a hot shower, put some warm dry clothes on - and sparked up NSC on the old computer to see what the thoughts of you good people were...

I read the 'Hughton Out' threads, then the 'We played well' thread - and all the others varying between the next apocalypse coming and blind faith and loyalty, then thought I'd give myself a nights sleep on the whole thing so I could have a rational view on it all. Here are my calm and sane thoughts, for what they are worth :

* If you actually think about the way the team played, we definitely intended to attack. We came out of the traps snapping like terriers from the kick off - so, did Chris Hughton tell them to play it safe from the off, then? It would appear not.

* Dunk slipped and gifted them the first goal. He didn't try to slip, it was an accident. Mountain to climb from there on because Burnley had the measure of us.

* Some brilliant goalkeeping against some fairly standard PL quality strikes and headers. Easy to cancel out.

So, then I start to think about the players. Not individually (although Locadia is the laziest player I've seen in a while and Bong must be Hughton's illegitimate Son the way he keeps playing him, but we digress) but... as a team.

Did anyone see Duffy (in the second half in front of the West/North corner) throw his arms up in despair, with nobody moving or wanting the pass he was trying to make? How many times do I see a player with the ball wanting to pass it - then all of our players just bloody static, expecting the man on the ball to run into a space where he can pass it? You then end up with a panicked pass which is hit too hard, or an inaccurate pass which takes 1-2 extra touches to control - after which the opposing player is already on them, then it's yet another back pass to start it all over again. Sometimes it's like groundhog day watching the games. I can't help but think that if our players put more effort in, covered more ground, ran into space to receive passes, lost their markers and ran the opposition around more we'd get better results against teams around us.

In 2017/18 we ranked overall 8th out of 20 teams for distance covered. We ran, we made space, we won games - and we comfortably stayed up.... As it stands so far in the 2018/19 we currently rank a shocking 18th out of 20 teams. ???

So - in my view we have a handful of genuine PL quality players, a handful of lazy players who we can't tell are PL or Championship quality, a handful of Championship quality players, and a handful of Championship quality players who could be PL level. Beyond that, we have some works in progress.

Looking at the sentences above, does this really not point to coaching - and the players themselves? Is that the first area we should point the fingers at, or do we just go for the option of blaming the Manager for not getting the best out of the players and making them want to play better? A lazy reference here, I'll give you that - but the same players under Moanrinho are a totally different proposition under Solksjaer. The work rate has doubled, and the results have followed.

I'm not sure if I've got my point across too well, but in essence I have no serious issues with Hughton and his actual tactics. I do have issues with player selection, and I certainly have issues with player effort.

Over and out.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Leaving the Amex yesterday, piss wet through and freezing cold, I was naturally down about everything. I then came home, had a hot shower, put some warm dry clothes on - and sparked up NSC on the old computer to see what the thoughts of you good people were...

I read the 'Hughton Out' threads, then the 'We played well' thread - and all the others varying between the next apocalypse coming and blind faith and loyalty, then thought I'd give myself a nights sleep on the whole thing so I could have a rational view on it all. Here are my calm and sane thoughts, for what they are worth :

* If you actually think about the way the team played, we definitely intended to attack. We came out of the traps snapping like terriers from the kick off - so, did Chris Hughton tell them to play it safe from the off, then? It would appear not.

* Dunk slipped and gifted them the first goal. He didn't try to slip, it was an accident. Mountain to climb from there on because Burnley had the measure of us.

* Some brilliant goalkeeping against some fairly standard PL quality strikes and headers. Easy to cancel out.

So, then I start to think about the players. Not individually (although Locadia is the laziest player I've seen in a while and Bong must be Hughton's illegitimate Son the way he keeps playing him, but we digress) but... as a team.

Did anyone see Duffy (in the second half in front of the West/North corner) throw his arms up in despair, with nobody moving or wanting the pass he was trying to make? How many times do I see a player with the ball wanting to pass it - then all of our players just bloody static, expecting the man on the ball to run into a space where he can pass it? You then end up with a panicked pass which is hit too hard, or an inaccurate pass which takes 1-2 extra touches to control - after which the opposing player is already on them, then it's yet another back pass to start it all over again. Sometimes it's like groundhog day watching the games. I can't help but think that if our players put more effort in, covered more ground, ran into space to receive passes, lost their markers and ran the opposition around more we'd get better results against teams around us.

In 2017/18 we ranked overall 8th out of 20 teams for distance covered. We ran, we made space, we won games - and we comfortably stayed up. As it stands so far in the 2018/19 we rank 18th out of 20 teams. ???

So - in my view we have a handful of genuine PL quality players, a handful of lazy players who we can't tell are PL or Championship quality, a handful of Championship quality players, and a handful of Championship quality players who could be PL level. Beyond that, we have some works in progress.

Looking at the sentence above, does this not point to coaching - and the players themselves? Is that the first area we should point the fingers at, or do we just go for the option of blaming the Manager for not getting the best out of the players and making them want to play better? A lazy reference here, I'll give you that - but the same players under Moanrinho are a totally different proposition under Solksjaer. The work rate has doubled, and the results have followed.

I'm not sure if I've got my point across too well, but in essence I have no issues with Hughton and his actual tactics. I have issues with player selection, and I certainly have issues with player effort.

Over and out.

Those are great points. It’s too easy to jump on the Hughton bandwagon. Many on here have been itching for a long time, others joining. We get out of this mess by getting back to 4-4-1-1 quickly.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I never want CH out.

Instead I would question the (consistent) top flight quality credentials of some players. Locadia and Knockaert spring to mind - over their many PL appearances, how many games have they made a significant impact in a good result? Too few.

Plus Stephens and Gross, two players I’ve defended and championed to the hilt, are playing pretty poorly in several recent matches.

CH can only do so much.

Whereas:
March - I know loads of people comment against him, but I really rate him. He’s progressed so well.
Bong - the odd mistake, but he’s upped his game. I love his commitment.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

In 2017/18 we ranked overall 8th out of 20 teams for distance covered. We ran, we made space, we won games - and we comfortably stayed up.... As it stands so far in the 2018/19 we currently rank a shocking 18th out of 20 teams. ???

Looking at the sentences above, does this really not point to coaching - and the players themselves? Is that the first area we should point the fingers at, or do we just go for the option of blaming the Manager for not getting the best out of the players and making them want to play better? A lazy reference here, I'll give you that - but the same players under Moanrinho are a totally different proposition under Solksjaer. The work rate has doubled, and the results have followed.

I'm not sure if I've got my point across too well, but in essence I have no serious issues with Hughton and his actual tactics. I do have issues with player selection, and I certainly have issues with player effort.

Over and out.

Personally, I think you have made the point for yourself.
Ole and Moaning Minnie: Strikes me that CH and co. are unable to get this squad playing to their capabilities and if there are lazy players in the squad, it is up to the management to sort 'em out!
Moaning Minnie couldn't sort Man U out, but Ole has.
Finally, the buck stops with the manager and if you feel we have problems with player selection and player attitude, well, that is up to the manager to sort!

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018

Over and out.
Illegitimate son - did you also mean ( if we are going there) - Gross, Stephens, also! Not sure what Bong did wrong for the last few matches although hey let's keep banging on - boring.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ole and Moaning Minnie: Strikes me that CH and co. are unable to get this squad playing to their capabilities and if there are lazy players in the squad, it is up to the management to sort 'em out!
Finally, the buck stops with the manager and if you feel we have problems with player selection and player attitude, well, that is up to the manager to sort!

In a modern club set up without a lone tyrant running all key playing/recruitment decisions (Fergie, Wenger), the entire buck does not stop with the manager.

I’d argue that our available squad quality is patchy to say the least. CH was just one voice of 4 in the recruitment quartet, plus like Hudd the club have tried to recruit in a financially prudent way. In contrast to the Fulham and cheating Wolves approach of signing a whole load of proven names.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I never want CH out.

Instead I would question the (consistent) top flight quality credentials of some players. Locadia and Knockaert spring to mind - over their many PL appearances, how many games have they made a significant impact in a good result? Too few.

Plus Stephens and Gross, two players I’ve defended and championed to the hilt, are playing pretty poorly in several recent matches.

CH can only do so much.

Whereas:
March - I know loads of people comment against him, but I really rate him. He’s progressed so well.
Bong - the odd mistake, but he’s upped his game. I love his commitment.

I agree.

Regarding Bong though he had so much of the ball yesterday it was almost as if Burnley intended it.

They judged that right. No end product from his numerous crosses and possession in really dangerous areas.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
....Regarding Bong though he had so much of the ball yesterday it was almost as if Burnley intended it.

I was amazed when Knockaert had space ahead of him to run into, then made a pass the whole width of the pitch (at the half way line) to Bong... who did nothing with it, again?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I have felt for a long time that the coaching set up needs improving. As you say, if players are lazy the management TEAM need to address it. Same applies to selection and attitude.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I find this paragraph confusing. You seem to be treating the manager and coach as two distinct unrelated roles. Either part of Chris's role is coaching, or it is over seeing the coaches. Either way, if there is a problem with coaching it is on Hughton. Secondly, you seem to be criticising people for the easy option of blaming the manager, then point to a side where they replaced their manager and things took a dramatic change for the more successful.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I find this paragraph confusing. You seem to be treating the manager and coach as two distinct unrelated roles. Either part of Chris's role is coaching, or it is over seeing the coaches. Either way, if there is a problem with coaching it is on Hughton. Secondly, you seem to be criticising people for the easy option of blaming the manager, then point to a side where they replaced their manager and things took a dramatic change for the more successful.

You're quite right, and my apologies for that. I'm afraid my fingers went faster than my brain there...

Coaching I feel is down to the coaches, and Management is down to the manager. The Manager should manage the coaches. One man alone cannot do everything, and delegation is key if you're to retain a clear head and see the bigger picture. The old saying "you can't steer the ship from the engine room" may apply here.

The Manager's job is to oversee every aspect and convey to his coaching staff exactly what he wants. It is then the job of the coaching staff to ensure these wishes are met. I do, however, doubt that CH has said to his coaching staff "Hey... you couldn't get them to be a bit... well... lazier could you? You know.. run a bit less, try a little less... see how that works"

In pointing to Man Utd, what I was trying to convey was that when the same team works so much harder, it always gets results. In relation to coaching, OGS has Mike Phelan - who was instrumental in relaying SAF's instructions and wishes. SAF sweated the tactics and the mind games, because he had time to. He didn't do too badly with this approach.

In conclusion, CH could be trying his very best to convey to his coaching team the right messages - but if they're not doing it, it can simply land straight back at the feet of the Manager.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove

Over and out.

That's a very mature attitude you took today and yesterday before posting, where others were shooting from the hip.

Spot on with your assessment I'd say, and well put across :thumbsup:

boik

I think some of the problem is that we are scoring so few goals that people snatch at chances that come their way, or play safe and hit it at the middle of the goal. When you're in a run of goalscoring, time seems to slow down and you think you have more time to place your shot where the goalkeeper can't get it. When we were scoring for fun in the championship, people like Knocky were regularly curling shots round the keeper into the far corner.

Unfortunately, people who can do that cost a LOT of money. I think Ali J and Andone will do that if they get a run of chances, but we are too desperate not to miss at the moment.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Combination of the two hughton picks same old side and they fail to deliver
March locadia bong Stephens not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
"Did anyone see Duffy (in the second half in front of the West/North corner) throw his arms up in despair, with nobody moving or wanting the pass he was trying to make? How many times do I see a player with the ball wanting to pass it - then all of our players just bloody static, expecting the man on the ball to run into a space where he can pass it? You then end up with a panicked pass which is hit too hard, or an inaccurate pass which takes 1-2 extra touches to control - after which the opposing player is already on them, then it's yet another back pass to start it all over again. Sometimes it's like groundhog day watching the games. I can't help but think that if our players put more effort in, covered more ground, ran into space to receive passes, lost their markers and ran the opposition around more we'd get better results against teams around us.

In 2017/18 we ranked overall 8th out of 20 teams for distance covered. We ran, we made space, we won games - and we comfortably stayed up.... As it stands so far in the 2018/19 we currently rank a shocking 18th out of 20 teams."

Following on from what Knocky's Nose posted above (extracted)...

I think from around late October/early November I noticed that we had taken our foot off the pedal, I thought the players had decided to coast through games rather than put a shift in and since then I haven't witnessed a game, bar one or two, where I was convinced we'd done everything we could to win a game.

Who to blame for this? It has to be collectively so both the manager and the players, what to do about it is the BIG question and who's going to change it???

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
His partner down that wing, p-ed me off far more. Locadia did so little.

On top of doing so little, many times, especially in the first half, he was caught ball watching to leave the right back free in acres of space receiving the ball in really dangerous positions.

I would have thought that was totally unacceptable to CH.

March's injury though may mean he has to keep playing him .

el punal

Over and out.

Some very good points there.

I will simplify it though. Yesterday was a day when anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Errors that were made proved decisive - in another game we would have got away with them. The referee seemed to conspire against us at every turn. Burnley had Heaton playing out of his skin and saved a least four goal bound efforts. Our team just played below par throughout. Burnley had all the luck and we had none. End of. We move on.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Combination of the two hughton picks same old side and they fail to deliver
March locadia bong Stephens not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact you say March isn’t good enough rules out your post, he’s performing at EPL div 3 promotion level for sure

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here