[Football] Are we going down?

Are we gong down?

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't think we'll go down, but if we do, at least we won't be in a division where the outcome of a match will already be decided before the game even kicks off.

I don't think that's fair, really. In just the last couple of weeks we've seen:

Newcastle 2 - 1 Man City
Bournemouth 4 - 0 Chelsea
Liverpool 1 - 1 Leicester
Liverpool 1 - 1 West Ham

etc

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
There was a guy next to me on the concourse who clearly felt we are staying up.
Great big cheer when Saints equalised followed by a groan when Cardiff got their winner, he stated that it doesn`t matter.
Well fella it does matter as Cardiff were our safety net and now we are only 2 points (possibly 3 with the better GD) better off than them.
Cardiff are grinding out results somehow ,no idea how. We have to beat them.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I felt we'd slip up this year and take the third from bottom slot to the 'best division in the world...' I've been thinking about our recent form and can't see where our next three points are likely to come from. The reasons for this are many, but recruitment this year has been a huge let down. Ali J simply isn't good enough, Jurgen (last season I realise) likewise, big Leon again not up to the PL, with Bernado the only real exception.... Montoya hmmmm (unsure tbh) Stephens has lost his pace and form, Gross is off the boil, Ryan now looks out of sorts, Dunk is starting to look 'wild' again which is never good. If you look at last season, Gross had a great one, Ryan proved to be in form and a brilliant buy, izquierdo too came good. Only Suttner and the whippet proving to be relative (and cheap) duds.

£20 million plus for Ali J is staggering, he's a very good championship player nothing more, Jurgen at £15 million or whatever is laughable... he's just not got it at this level. As it stands we have a top six championship squad, with one or two real PL quality assets... ultimately therein lies the rub.

If anyone can keep us up, well it's probably Chris Hughton... the trouble is I think he's invested in certain players proving their value, as doubtless deals were signed off by he and his team. I say this as I cannot fathom why Jurgen is being given the run he is?!? I don't doubt he's trying, but he's not even a patch on the inconsistent March, of whom some say is not good enough for the PL!

Calls for Bruno to be recalled at the expense of the rather meh (again, at this level) Montoya, sum up where we are... up a certain creek without a certain implement.

Bong too sums us up. I like him as a footballer (as he's an 100% type player) and in the championship he's a great asset, but he's not good enough for this division, we all know it... he has a great game here and there, usually against the lesser teams, against anyone with quality 12th or above... well... he's a little lost for me.

Oh well; it's only a game.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You are a candidate for 18th, but I don't believe you'll be there.

This. The odds of around 9/1 look about right to me. Two teams probably already down (one is nailed on), and that leaves one from six to fill that final place. We have a 3 point cushion, a slightly better GD and a favourable fixture list (home games against the relegation candidates could be crucial). On the flip side, our form has dipped alarmingly, but even then our recent results don't do the team any justice.

As has been said, it's all about the month of March. Hudds (h), Nigels (a), Cardiff (h), Soton (h). Five or six points from those and people will be wondering what the fuss was about, especially if you look at Soton's fixture list before they play us.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Given you'd hope to win and expect at least a point at home to Burnley . . . . and our current relegation form, do you really see us getting 5 or 6 points from these 4 games? we can't score and have a shonky defence all of a sudden. I think the results are doing the team justice, its a results game!

This. The odds of around 9/1 look about right to me. Two teams probably already down (one is nailed on), and that leaves one from six to fill that final place. We have a 3 point cushion, a slightly better GD and a favourable fixture list (home games against the relegation candidates could be crucial). On the flip side, our form has dipped alarmingly, but even then our recent results don't do the team any justice.

As has been said, it's all about the month of March. Hudds (h), Nigels (a), Cardiff (h), Soton (h). Five or six points from those and people will be wondering what the fuss was about, especially if you look at Soton's fixture list before they play us.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Given you'd hope to win and expect at least a point at home to Burnley . . . . and our current relegation form, do you really see us getting 5 or 6 points from these 4 games? we can't score and have a shonky defence all of a sudden. I think the results are doing the team justice, its a results game!

I do indeed see us getting those points. I know it's a results game but those 9 points in 3 games didn't tell the whole story then and neither does our recent form. We really weren't all that bad against Burnley, we had some shit luck and if that had ended a draw I don't think anyone from Burnley could have grumbled. Five points from those games is perfectly plausible - 3 games are at home!

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but one piece of good news is that Zaha got sent off 2 games ago. He appealed, which meant his ban didn't start last weekend. However, if this ban is upheld it now means he won't be available against us. Good job the Nigels don't rely on Mr Tumble isn't it. :thumbsup:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

...buts its always been fence for me, and will be every season we are in the PL.. apart from the very biggest clubs, and I just about include Everton in that, albeit Villa example might suggest not even they are immune, anyone can find themselves in a relegation scrap in any given season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think we have caught the Burnley side of finishing in the top 7. To give you a sense of perspective, they've just broken a club record for being unbeaten in the top flight.

If you do a form table from 30 Dec to now, Burnley are 3rd in the table. The sides we've got coming up are all bottom half in that form table.

So yes, you might expect at least a point at home to Burnley, and we probably played well enough on a different day to get all 3, but let us be under no illusion we played one of the in form teams in 2019 who have more points than Spurs and Liverpool so far this year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As has been said, it's all about the month of March. Hudds (h), Nig31s (a), Cardiff (h), Soton (h). Five or six points from those and people will be wondering what the fuss was about, especially if you look at Soton's fixture list before they play us.

My worry is that we are unable to get results against our relegation rivals, for whatever reason we seem to feck up against them. We got a good point at Southampton and a win at Huddersfield, all early in the season. Since then we have lost at Cardiff, Burnley and Fulham. We have now been beaten at home by Burnley. Cardiff are currently resurgent. Saints have picked up points and Huddersfield ran Arsenal close on Saturday and still have plenty of spirit. Wins against those three at home are going to be incredibly tough to pull off unless we hit a bit of form. Our mental strength seems to have evaporated at completely the wrong time.

One win and it will throw a different light on things but we look very fragile in defence and two MOM performances from away keepers have cost us big time. Hence I am on the fence as we could completely implode or find some form. I can’t call it but at the moment we look to be in trouble.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure if anyone has noticed, but one piece of good news is that Zaha got sent off 2 games ago. He appealed, which meant his ban didn't start last weekend. However, if this ban is upheld it now means he won't be available against us. Good job the Nig31s don't rely on Mr Tumble isn't it. :thumbsup:

???

He has a ONE match ban, and Palace play Doncaster, Leicester, Man United and Burnley, before they play us!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I think we have caught the Burnley side of finishing in the top 7. To give you a sense of perspective, they've just broken a club record for being unbeaten in the top flight.

If you do a form table from 30 Dec to now, Burnley are 3rd in the table. The sides we've got coming up are all bottom half in that form table.

So yes, you might expect at least a point at home to Burnley, and we probably played well enough on a different day to get all 3, but let us be under no illusion we played one of the in form teams in 2019 who have more points than Spurs and Liverpool so far this year.
Dangerously sensible stuff. Add to it how good we were against Watford and the doom and gloom seems more than a bit premature.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ah, thought it was 3 and that Donny didn't count. :down:

It was a one match ban for the two yellows (which he served last week v West Ham), and then he had an FA additional charge for the continuation of the dissent after the red, for which he was given another one match ban. (they cynically appealed that so he could play at the weekend, and miss the FA Cup game instead).

(and even if it WERE three games, AND the Donny game didn't count, he STILL wouldn't miss our game! :jester: )

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
we'll be ok just but another bad transfer window and we will go next season for sure.

As mentioned Balogun , Locadia , AJ are not good enough for the prem IMO.

We should just about be fine though

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No chance.

Huddersfield and Fulham are down.

That leaves one space with 12 games to go.

a 12 game, 6 team league with a 3 point head start and a much better goal difference as well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
My worry is that we are unable to get results against our relegation rivals, for whatever reason we seem to feck up against them. We got a good point at Southampton and a win at Huddersfield, all early in the season. Since then we have lost at Cardiff, Burnley and Fulham. We have now been beaten at home by Burnley. Cardiff are currently resurgent. Saints have picked up points and Huddersfield ran Arsenal close on Saturday and still have plenty of spirit. Wins against those three at home are going to be incredibly tough to pull off unless we hit a bit of form. Our mental strength seems to have evaporated at completely the wrong time.

One win and it will throw a different light on things but we look very fragile in defence and two MOM performances from away keepers have cost us big time. Hence I am on the fence as we could completely implode or find some form. I can’t call it but at the moment we look to be in trouble.

I'm with that. Ordinarily you would jump at the chance of playing a team below you on your home patch but it's making me worry. For sure each of those opponents will be looking to the game v us as an one of their few realistic possibilities to pick something up. Whilst winning these 6 pointers is fantastic losing them is equally disastrous

In some respects I might prefer it if our next 3 homes were against the likes of Everton, West Ham and B'Muff ... more difficult on paper but if we screw up we're not giving 3 valuable points to the baddies

Just about on the fence but wobbling

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It was a one match ban for the two yellows (which he served last week v West Ham), and then he had an FA additional charge for the continuation of the dissent after the red, for which he was given another one match ban. (they cynically appealed that so he could play at the weekend, and miss the FA Cup game instead).

(and even if it WERE three games, AND the Donny game didn't count, he STILL wouldn't miss our game! :jester: )

Could it be considered a frivolous appeal and get another game suspension?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm with that. Ordinarily you would jump at the chance of playing a team below you on your home patch but it's making me worry. For sure each of those opponents will be looking to the game v us as an one of their few realistic possibilities to pick something up. Whilst winning these 6 pointers is fantastic losing them is equally disastrous

In some respects I might prefer it if our next 3 homes were against the likes of Everton, West Ham and B'Muff ... more difficult on paper but if we screw up we're not giving 3 valuable points to the baddies

Just about on the fence but wobbling

Warnock's team talk: "Let's win ugly, run the clock down and send these bent f*ckers down. Do it for our very close friend Emiliano. Now go out there and set about those c*nts".

Motivated.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here