NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would winning the FA Cup.
Qualifying for the Europa Cup.
Winning that.
Qualifying for The Champions League
Winning that...

....Be only way Hughton can keep his job?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The only way he keeps his job is by avoiding relegation, the prospect of a third season of tbf pretty dull football with the occasional top six upset is an entirely different discussion.

I reckon Tony Bloom and Paul Barber were up all night pondering over whether to sack Chris and looking at his emergency replacement ....or more likely bemoaning a shambles of refereeing decisions 2 man of match goalkeeping performances in last 2 games for opposition and believing that results will turn round

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’ve just refreshed my memory about Hughton’s Norwich experience. It’s odd how his final season there seems to mirror our current situation. Norwich started well enough in the 2013/14 season and didn’t seem to be in any danger of relegation until a bad run of form in the latter stages.

Hughton was sacked with the team one place and five points above the drop zone. The sacking was remarkably late, coming in early April with only five matches remaining. They went on to take one point from those matches and were relegated.

Can we learn anything from this? Quite possibly not, as it’s a different club in a different time with a different set up. I guess “be careful what you wish for” is what I’d take from this. Mr Bloom has been loyal to his managers and is all about stability. Even if the unthinkable were to happen I’d be surprised if Hughton was shown the door. It’s taken Norwich five years to steady the ship. Burnley came back up at the first time of asking under Dyche.

It’s been a hugely frustrating season and feels like we’ve failed to kick on but I’ve still got complete confidence that those at the top have a clear plan for the club that will see us progress over the longer term.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Winning that.
Winning that...
Be only way Hughton can keep his job?

As per last week, Hughton is a great manager, no way should he go.

However, what I do wonder is the value of his coaching team.

If you are hearing the same suggestions week on week, perhaps a new face/replacement for Trollope is required, I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve just refreshed my memory about Hughton’s Norwich experience. It’s odd how his final season there seems to mirror our current situation. Norwich started well enough in the 2013/14 season and didn’t seem to be in any danger of relegation until a bad run of form in the latter stages.

Hughton was sacked with the team one place and five points above the drop zone. The sacking was remarkably late, coming in early April with only five matches remaining. They went on to take one point from those matches and were relegated.

Can we learn anything from this? Quite possibly not, as it’s a different club in a different time with a different set up. I guess “be careful what you wish for” is what I’d take from this. Mr Bloom has been loyal to his managers and is all about stability. Even if the unthinkable were to happen I’d be surprised if Hughton was shown the door. It’s taken Norwich five years to steady the ship. Burnley came back up at the first time of asking under Dyche.

It’s been a hugely frustrating season and feels like we’ve failed to kick on but I’ve still got complete confidence that those at the top have a clear plan for the club that will see us progress over the longer term.

Thing is we’re not playing badly, over the Watford / Burnley games we’ve 40 shots, something like 12 or so on target. I don’t know what was happening behind the scenes at Norwich, but I don’t see our team not together and giving their all.

We’ve got plants of games to pick up points coming up, need to keep our heads and accept we’ve had a bad run that needs bringing to an end.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thing is we’re not playing badly, over the Watford / Burnley games we’ve 40 shots, something like 12 or so on target. I don’t know what was happening behind the scenes at Norwich, but I don’t see our team not together and giving their all.

We’ve got plants of games to pick up points coming up, need to keep our heads and accept we’ve had a bad run that needs bringing to an end.

Is 12/40 good? (Serious question no sarcasm).

I mean shots do include some of Bissouma’s ridiculous attempts and even Locadia’s who hit the corner flag last week.....

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
We are actually playing quite well. We have 5 very winnable home games left. Let's continue to get behind the team and the manager and who knows maybe we'll still get a surprise win away from home too. #together #stayingup

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is 12/40 good? (Serious question no sarcasm).

I mean shots do include some of Bissouma’s ridiculous attempts and even Locadia’s who hit the corner flag last week.....

Well clearly some of them are a tame header wide or a shot going out for a throw, but likewise when 2 visiting keepers are motm in consecutive weeks, you know there is some truth in us still being threatening.

I thought Burnley were one of the best visiting sides we’ve played, they were ferocious in there pressing and contesting every ball, Cork and Hendrick in particular caused us so many problems, but in turn we did dominate the ball, and created plenty of chances. Even at 2 down we were fighting, and if not getting the most obvious of pens at one end to concede at the other really has summed up our fortune.

We’re in the dogfight, no doubt about it, but I feel there is enough there that we’ll come good to pull clear of it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well clearly some of them are a tame header wide or a shot going out for a throw, but likewise when 2 visiting keepers are motm in consecutive weeks, you know there is some truth in us still being threatening.

I thought Burnley were one of the best visiting sides we’ve played, they were ferocious in there pressing and contesting every ball, Cork and Hendrick in particular caused us so many problems, but in turn we did dominate the ball, and created plenty of chances. Even at 2 down we were fighting, and if not getting the most obvious of pens at one end to concede at the other really has summed up our fortune.

We’re in the dogfight, no doubt about it, but I feel there is enough there that we’ll come good to pull clear of it.

I too thought Burnley played well, particularly the first half and had worked us out.

I am less optimistic as I think our shape is now very poor, we have a number of players off-form and seem reliant on set pieces.

We need to abandon 4-3-3 IMO.

The fact this is such a poor league may save us.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Winning that.
Winning that...

....Be only way Hughton can keep his job?

Please, can we just get rid, please?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Burnley had a good game. And though they’re gritty, it’s not just tough stuff they play. Their goalkeeper was outstanding.

It wasn’t the Albion’s best performance, but for the opposition goalkeeper to be mom, they were obviously doing okay.

Just more woeful performances by the match officials - and ALL teams suffer from that throughout the season.

We lost this game. All is not lost.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I too thought Burnley played well, particularly the first half and had worked us out.

I am less optimistic as I think our shape is now very poor, we have a number of players off-form and seem reliant on set pieces.

We need to abandon 4-3-3 IMO.

The fact this is such a poor league may save us.

We did lose our shape yesterday. Propper ended up battling to keep hold of the midfield, Gross seemed to be too right too often, Locadia drifting inside when we really needed the width, it looked messy and I agree, CH and his staff need to get hold of them as we need to get a bit of discipline and resilience back. Dunk is in his worse form for a couple of years, as per his slip at home to Fulham, he simply shouldn’t be that tight in that position, not sure if it’s overconfidence on his part, but we can’t give away anymore goals.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This with bells on.

We're having a very poor run, and Hughton does need to take a long hard look at how he is setting up his teams. It's all a bit predictable.

Also, the club need to admit that rather than buying players and loaning them back to their clubs, we need to instead be spending money on players that can come in to strengthen the team.

Hughton needs to stay. One day he'll need to say that he has taken the club as far as he can, but that day is not now. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I still believe we’ve got enough winnable games to stay up.

Winnable games against relegation fighters who over the last few games have shown far more grit and determination over 90 mins than we have. I am worried that we are not mentally tough enough to cope with 6 pointer games. We certainly haven’t shown it against the bottom clubs. Six points lost to Burnley, four to Fulham and three to Cardiff. We narrowly beat Huddersfield and scraped a draw against Saints, both away from home admittedly. I don’t see any of the teams we have left to play rolling over, in fact all are in better form than us, except Huddersfield. Am I worried, yes yes I am :down:

I can’t see us getting anything at Leicester and Palace could well give us an absolute thumping in the form we are in.

We also have ages before the next league game, so no quick bounce back possible either.

Do I want Hughton out, no of course not even if we go down which I think is quite possible...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here