Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This 4-3-3 experiment needs to end ...

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
The other crazy thing about the 4-3-3 formation is that we seemed to change to it to allow locadia to play more.
This formation clearly isn't working well enough and Gross has been playing a stinker since the change and Locadia hasn't put enough of a shift in to warrant a start.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was concerned I was the only one who thought that the formation needs to change. Take a look at Man Utd and you can see what happens when you play players in their best positions

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
A fully fit Izzy & Ali J have been big misses this season but they are ready to return. Locadia isn’t doing enough and one of them needs to replace him. Bruno, with his experience needs to come back in.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I was thinking the same about this evolution, maybe it works away from home but we need to get back to what was working for us.

I don't think this was any more exciting than the 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1/4-4-2 that we were playing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was concerned before the change. I thought we were overachieving through set pieces and had deteriorated in open play compared to last season.

I would put the fall in quality down to the absence of Bruno in defence and lack of quality in creating and finishing chances from open play. This was partly due to the absence of Pascal Groß for a run of games.

Albion v Burnley

Passing stats

Cross 41-8
FK 4-7
Corner 9-3
Through ball 0-2
Key 12-5

Long 77-78
Short 523-206

Final third 220-92

Clearances 8-55

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No problem. My only concern is I don't want to waste my money on a couple of scapegoats.

The Burnley 2 looked pretty good....

Barnes was always the width of a post from being good enough and he reverted to type with his miss.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The other crazy thing about the 4-3-3 formation is that we seemed to change to it to allow locadia to play more.

And nothing to do with Jose and Ali J being long term sick leaving the squad with only 2 out and out wingers, one of which is a little bit hit and miss.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We need to go back to being defensive and playing gross directly behind Murray. It may be boring it may annoy the fans but at the end of the day it works. Our premier league continued status is based on our defence. Maybe we can experiment a bit more next season with a few points on the board.

We are not playing too badly at the moment but the defence is woefully exposed.

Back to basics time.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good Lord I agree with you :wozza:

I was going to start this very same thread. It looked good for a while but it’s not working any more. I wonder whether it’s because all the big teams play 4-3-3 so our opposition are familiar with the system and well drilled against it. We’re creating nothing from open play. Having a left side of Bong and Locadia doesn’t help.

Ps it would be nice if Hughton changed it mid game every once in a while. Is that too much to ask?

I was thinking about it as well. Fact is we have hardly any points since switching and, at home at least, fewer goals.

Gross is much better as a genuine number 10 and we have a much better shape defensively when we play 4-4-1-1. Yesterday we were shoving it straight on to Mee and Tarkowski's heads because no one was showing from midfield or wide. it was so easy for them.

Depressingly, the whole formation seems to have been designed to keep Locadia happy. He's first up against the wall when we go back to how we should be playing. Can't wait for Izqueirdo to be fit as well. A back four that replaced both full backs with Bruno and Bernardo, Stephens, Propper, Knocky and Izqueierdo in Mid, Gross at 10 and Murray or Andone leading the line should pick up the points needed to survive. Yesterday's team and formation isn't going to scrap it out at home to Cardiff and Stains - games we now have to win.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Said the same on a different thread. Agreed. With the proviso that when people then moan we’re too negative, we can remind them Hughton did try to make us more positive in our approach but hasn’t got a squad that’s up to it just yet.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Completely agree, we also need to stop playing lazy players like Locadia who don't track back- I could forgive him if he provided an attacking spark but he quite clearly doesn't. Pack the midfield and play wingers who will work hard in the defensive and attacking sense- Knockaert and March. Play Propper and Stephens as holding/deep lying midfielders and then Gross doesn't have to retreat 50 yards to receive the ball.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Completely agree, we also need to stop playing lazy players like Locadia who don't track back- I could forgive him if he provided an attacking spark but he quite clearly doesn't. Pack the midfield and play wingers who will work hard in the defensive and attacking sense- Knockaert and March. Play Propper and Stephens as holding/deep lying midfielders and then Gross doesn't have to retreat 50 yards to receive the ball.

I have to agree. It's a shame but at the end of the day we've got to simply go back to basics and get ourselves over the line points wise. I don't think the new lads have the experience/know how to handle a fight to stay in the prem, but I do trust the shape and line up you suggest to see us to safety.

Imo what we also definitely do not need is a change of manager; what we do need is CH going back to what he does best shape wise and us grinding out some results to see us stay up. He guided us to safety quite comfortably in the and last season, absolutely no reason why he can't again this season.

It wont be pretty, and I'll be the first to hold my hands up and admit that I was crying out for more attacking expansive football earlier in the season (bar against the big boys), but either the new players aren't up to it or CH can't quite pull it off, or probably a mix of both.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The formation isn't the problem here.
We defend far too deep and just fanny around with the ball from one side to the other and back to our keeper with the occasional lump it forward approach.
Our midfield (Stepen's mainly) isn't good enough at this level to either retain possession or make incisive passes for the defensive players to trust passing to.
If pressured by the other side we simply collapse as a team and get swept away.
We got away with our style for a season and a half but now we have been found out..
On a good day given time on the ball and space we look a good side but in all honesty, we are lacking a strong enough midfield that can maintain possession and win tackles.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The midfield is all wrong. Gross is too lightweight to play a deeper role. Stephens gives the ball away too much and is a walking red card. Propper would be immense if he had a more mobile tackler next to him.

Locadia is a luxury player. I think he could do a job in the number 10 role but where he is leaves the full back completely exposed. Bong just isn't good enough going forward, he can't cross for toffee on his left and his right is just for standing on so it's easy for defenders at this level.

If we stay up there are many problems to fix in the summer. CM, striker, left back all desperately need upgrades on what we have.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

To be fair on Locadia, we often look for him quickly when we get the ball. I’d have thought he’s under instruction to stay forward and try to support Murray.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We need to go back to being defensive and playing gross directly behind Murray. It may be boring it may annoy the fans but at the end of the day it works. Our premier league continued status is based on our defence. Maybe we can experiment a bit more next season with a few points on the board.

We are not playing too badly at the moment but the defence is woefully exposed.

Back to basics time.

Thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Examples include Locadia on the bench, he exposes us too much when we have to drop back.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here