Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why’s it not quite working at the moment?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its a difficult situation to analyse at the moment.
Are we in an 11 game blip or a 3 game blip? Most fans seemed reasonably happy after Man U away. We had run Chelsea close, had a decent, unbeaten Christmas and then pushed Liverpool and United pretty close. No real need to worry. Fulham away and Watford and Burnley at home could yield 4-5 points. They didn't. Why?
Well, there has clearly been a dip in level from certain key players in recent weeks. Ryan came back in at Fulham but looked unsure and unsettled. He still seems off his game. Dunk, pivotal to the team, has suddenly lost it. He was terrible at Fulham ( I put that down to a one-off ) It wasn't. He was even worse yesterday, making mistakes in all 3 of their goals. I cannot remember him being this far below par in his BHA career. When Bernardo was in the side, we had a dynamism down the left and he was energising the front men. Bong cannot play at that level and we have missed the Brazilian. Gross's complete lack of pace wasn't so apparent last season. Now it stands out. Both Stephens and Propper lack pace as well and the chemistry in the side isn't right.
The manager doesn't appear to worry about the lack of pace in his favoured line-up. Against Fulham and Burnley ( 7 goals conceded!!! ) we were caught over and over again on the counter attack. We appear unable to move the ball forward, quickly enough to either catch out opponents or relieve pressure. All managers have their favourites but CH seems to fall back on his tried and trusted all the time, even when they are below their best. It appears too predictable and feels like it needs refreshing. A little shake-up.
Personally, I am worried that we are not progressing as a side. There is now a blueprint in the PL. Quick, simple football, played to feet, with as much accuracy as you can manage.Move the ball from penalty box to penalty box as quickly as you can. Counter attack with potency.
Our style is more pedestrian. Moving the ball forward in stages, not in quick and accurate movements. It allows teams to get men behind the ball and predict and anticipate what we are trying to do. Our game lacks accuracy as well. A lot of our forward passing is still based more on hope than design. Playing the ball into space and expecting someone to be there. The next 12 games are going to be battles now. Every point like gold dust. The comfort zone has gone. The manager has to recognise that we are too predictable. We cannot keep relying on set pieces ( without Murray, Dunk and Duffy, we have no real goal threat ). He has to inject more pace into the side and he has to be brave about players who are off their game, even if they are perceived to be ' ever-presents ' We have to get Andone back. We have to get Izquierdo back in and we have to look at letting Bissouma loose.
I believe we have a group a players that are good enough to be able to stay out of trouble. The manager now has to persuade the doubters that is capable of getting more out of this squad and is prepared to make big changes, when necessary.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
On yesterday's evidence:
We are too slow to attack, allow opposition to have 10 behind the ball and we play the same predictable balls forward eventually.
We do not finish as clinically as Chris Wood. We have to take our chances.
Montoya is not as good as Bruno, does not read the game or link up with others as well. Meanwhile Bong is asleep half the time.
Murray is 35 and great, but needs better service, and possible replacements such as Locadia are just not good enough.
Pröpper looks class but we need him to influence the game more.
We had quite a bit of bad luck in this game with the Dunk slip and the missed penalty decisions.
There's more but I'm getting depressed writing this ...

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Let's just stop there and look at the amount of total bollocks just in that first paragraph. We started so sluggishly - yep, so sluggishly that Heaton had to make to world class saves (not just me thinking they were fantastic saves; every pundit who has played the game at the highest level was raving about them too) to keep them in the game before they scored.
And that was against a side struggling so badly that they have gone seven without defeat and are currently 5th. in the form table, where they're struggling to stay above Liverpool.

Hey-ho, those nasty inconvenient facts, eh?.

No let’s look at true facts rather your blue and white tinted ones. Burnley started better than us winning a corner within the first few minutes and generally looking a lot more comfortable. The commentators even mentioned this a couple of occassions in the opening period.

We put no pressure on the ball first half at all and had no one to pass to with no midfield. For a team supposedly so good at home, it really was not a good start against a side in the relegation zone. The chances we did create were on the break.

And as for Heaton’s saves, people are getting far too carried away. The one stopping March’s left foot shot was special (although March really should have scored) but the others were totally routine and as Dyche said, one’s you would expect him to make.

Plus Barnes should really have put them ahead before he made that save against March anyway, missing an absolute sitter.

Time and time again in the first half the players looked frustrated at a lack of options to pass to and lack of closing down, the crowd noticably picked up on this.

We have to start these games better with more intent and pace. We are so pedestrian and predictable, we must be an absolute dream to play against at the moment.

1 win in 11 league games against some mediocre opposition should say it all but you just carry on in your little blue and white rose garden.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do not deny we had some awful luck yesterday, my point was that Dyche had a very easy set of preparations as he knew exactly what our team would be, he knew we had a lack of pace so allowed his team to sit and rely on counters.

I won't argue at lack of pace, but we have only one player with genuine pace in the whole squad, and he's been out for most of the season.

For whatever reason, we just have not brought in speedy players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No let’s look at true facts rather your blue and white tinted ones. Burnley started better than us winning a corner within the first few minutes and generally looking a lot more comfortable. The commentators even mentioned this a couple of occassions in the opening period.

We put no pressure on the ball first half at all and had no one to pass to with no midfield. For a team supposedly so good at home, it really was not a good start against a side in the relegation zone. The chances we did create were on the break.

And as for Heaton’s saves, people are getting far too carried away. The one stopping March’s left foot shot was special (although March really should have scored) but the others were totally routine and as Dyche said, one’s you would expect him to make.

Plus Barnes should really have put them ahead before he made that save against March anyway, missing an absolute sitter.

Time and time again in the first half the players looked frustrated at a lack of options to pass to and lack of closing down, the crowd noticably picked up on this.

We have to start these games better with more intent and pace. We are so pedestrian and predictable, we must be an absolute dream to play against at the moment.

1 win in 11 league games against some mediocre opposition should say it all but you just carry on in your little blue and white rose garden.

Very good post. So few ‘get out of your seat and roar on an Albion counter attack’ moments yesterday.

Dunk and Duffy were shaky throughout, completely exposed and turned by Wood and Barnes of all people (not exactly Aguero). Burnley’s second goal should be viewed ... embarrassing defending.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We have forgotten our game plan of defending in lines of four and five across the pitch. Locadia, Knockaert and Jahanbakhsh do not track back leaving the full backs exposed.
When you play Burnley you know what you are going to get and simply they played with a greater tempo in attack and defence and out muscled us.
Shame, we played well for thirty minutes in the first half but lost all shape in the second half and become slow and ponderous making life easy for a well organised Burnley defence. March going off didn't help, we need him back ASAP.
CH needs to get back to basics, we ship far too many goals and we we don't score many, so we aren't going to win many games!

Xzlod

May 18, 2016
Midfield is the major issue. It's very light weight. Yesterday it was bypassed by some horrible lumps up the field to noone in particular. Our midfield play is often scrappy and slow. Worse, it's uncompetitive.

I think that's a problem with attitude. When things go wrong you need the midfield to dig in and win the second ball. Doesn't have to be pretty. Just get hold of things. Then the more forward players can be brought in. Burnley out fought us yesterday and dominated the midfield. That has become a recurring theme.

We lack creativity and pace in that area too. All of which forces us down the wings. We depend heavily on chipping the ball forward to Murray who is forced to hold off a gang of defenders with no support. This tactic is failing dismally and has been sussed out.

I think we're in trouble to be honest. We need to be prepared to grind out results now. We need to play at a higher temp. We need to compete for every ball. If we start now we'll survive but noone should doubt we are sliding badly.

I think Bissouma needs to play games from the start. I thought he made a difference yesterday. Hughton should be trusted to do the job. He's good in these situations. And the team as whole needs to understand they are now in a dog fight.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
We’ve been shite all season bar 3 games. Played better last season. Got extremely lucky in games where deserved to lose but somehow won on a couple of occasions too. Also all our goals come from set plays now. Awful to watch
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spot on
I feel the worst at the moment I just don’t think we will take
any points from the home games against Hudds,Saints Cardiff
I hope I’m wrong but something will have to change rapid
Mind you we could have be 2/3up yesterday so maybe we just need a bit of luck

Hughton is being too loyal to underperforming old stagers like Stephens and Gross and it is unbalancing the team. No team at our level can carry passengers and expect to get points.

The evidence will be staring him in the face after yesterday and now it's time to act

I won't argue at lack of pace, but we have only one player with genuine pace in the whole squad, and he's been out for most of the season.

For whatever reason, we just have not brought in speedy players.

But there's having no pace and then pairing Gross and Murray. Can't we at least aim for some kind of happy medium

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think the frustrating thing is when we are really needing to go for it, we do seem to be constrained by players who like to pass it backwards or along the defensive line. This is hughton's game and always has been.

The Iranian fella is taking time to settle in, locadia is a marmite player and doesn't go looking for the ball, knocky blows hot and cold and I am not convinced he is a prem player. Bassouma doesn't give the impression he can unlock defences YET, and march also blows hot and cold.

Proper looks half decent, but I can't see him ever scoring which means if gross doesn't score, no midfielders do.

We can't expect izzy to return nad start on top form. He had been out of the picture with injuries.

I thought Dunk had Duffy were not as good as their two defenders yesterday and that was the difference, apart obviously apart from heaton who was quite brilliant ...and we have come up agianst two brilliant keepers our last two league games.

The worrying thing is our ability to completely fall apart at times which the last few games have shown.

Thank god for the points at the beginning of the season!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The 4 4 3 formation is not working too well and seems a bit too risky in the current predicament. We dont have players capable enough to implement it and we lack the pace and creativity to move the ball quickly from defence. We were horribly exposed defensively at Fulham in the 2nd half and Burnley exposed the weakness of the formation with clinical efficiency for the 2nd goal and the pen.

We should revert to 4 4 1 1 which held us in good stead last season. A bit boring but makes us harder to break down and keeps the defence a bit more sound. Then it’s up to the attack to put the ball in the net when the chances come.

My two penn'orth anyway.

Xzlod

May 18, 2016
We do have technically good players but for the Premier League they are not exceptional. Solly March I thought played well yesterday and does carry a threat.

In general though we lose possession too easily through poor ball control. Our passing is not precise enough to build any real tempo. So we go slow. And in midfield there is a lack of tenacity. How many times yesterday did we win the second ball? Technical ability has to be allied to grit and determination.

Our biggest problem is that our midfield is a soft touch for any team prepared to put themselves about. On top of that, our attacking play is very one-dimensional and predictable. It depends heavily on Murray playing on the wing, getting a flick on to non-existent supporting players. The chances we do make are often spurned. There seems a lack of composure on the ball. Solly, though good, lacks the killer instinct.

Put all this together and you have a lack of cohesion. We are also playing without much confidence at the moment.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I find it odd that certain highly priced players are not getting much time, how much say does he have in recruitment?

I find it baffling that we can spend so much time and effort it appears scouring Europe and the rest of the world, signing youngsters and lending them to other clubs At what cost ? And in all this time scouting players, we never came across a player who would instantly improve on what we already have in the first team during this January window. 16 players we sent out on loan in this window, are we trying to beat Chelsea in this loan business

Xzlod

May 18, 2016
We have a squad of decent players, but not enough special ones. These players all put a shift in and we should never get on their backs because it certainly isn't lack of effort that is the problem. I've always admired Stephens, Kayal, Gross, etc so it's hard to admit that we need players of a higher calibre if we are to succeed at this level. Locadia is hit and miss, maybe Jahanbakhsh needs more time but he hasn't shown enough yet. The jury's still out on Montoya for me. What success is at this level for a club of our stature is another question. If this is as good as it gets, then I am thankful for what we have, but if we want to step up a level then we have tough decisions to make in the summer and need a couple of real quality players rather than quantity. We've waited a long time to face this challenge, let's not forget to enjoy the ride.

Good comment. We need to build slowly over a period of years. You're bound to have ups and downs but a consistent approach will work in the end.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed, chipped over the top, about as much pace as Dave the gaffer was enough to beat DD twins to the ball and slot one home

I thought that most came from Tarkowski and Mee and those 3 just picked up the knock back and loose balls from Barnes and Wood.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This is a very good point, I've no idea how that works for the club as a business or a first team 'aid' is it genuinely a proving ground thing? Or maybe cover for a championship campaign if we lose 4 or. 5 players when we get relegated?

As has been discussed before and generally agreed, there is a lack of chemistry in the 11 on the pitch at the moment, the element of surprise has gone, from both our players and managerial approach.

Personally I think we have too many hot/cold average wingers and a weak midfield and no striker, GM too slow/predictable. I'd like to see us play 4-4-2 with a solid 4 in the middle to try and control a game, and use 2 strikers ( from somewhere) to pull defences apart.

I find it baffling that we can spend so much time and effort it appears scouring Europe and the rest of the world, signing youngsters and lending them to other clubs At what cost ? And in all this time scouting players, we never came across a player who would instantly improve on what we already have in the first team during this January window. 16 players we sent out on loan in this window, are we trying to beat Chelsea in this loan business

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Predictable line up including out of form players, zero pace so ponderous build up, not clinical enough, and no plan B. Still think we've enough to stay up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No let’s look at true facts rather your blue and white tinted ones. Burnley started better than us winning a corner within the first few minutes and generally looking a lot more comfortable.

So, they got a corner! And we responded with a flurry of corners of our own. Without Heaton's 2 (yes, there were two) brilliant saves - and I'm not counting the one that March hit straight at him - we could have been two up in twenty minutes or so. Different game then - but obviously you don't think so.

And nobody who knows what they are talking about, having played the game at the highest level, has denied that 30 seconds of officiating incompetence at a point when we were on top and pressing hard didn't change a likely 2-1 into 3-0, an aberration which every commentator has stated would have been overturned by VAR. These things happen in football - and this was a glaringly bad example and unfortunately it happened to us yesterday. We weren't at our best yesterday it is true, and if we'd clawed back a point it would have flattered us - but so did the 3-1 score flatter Burnley. But if you want to stick to your agenda that we were rolled over, trussed up, completely outplayed and totally stuffed, carry on......................

.......but you just carry on in your little blue and white rose garden.
Oh FFS wind your neck in and don't be so f***in' patronising. I'm not wearing blue and white spectacles at all - I have noticed - and commented on here to that effect - that we have been relegated from PL division 2 to PL division 3 in the last few weeks through a bad run of results and a worrying loss of form. Plenty of other clubs will experience a loss of form and a bad run of results before this season is over - it is the natural way of football.
Yes, it is a bit worrying that the pack has caught us up, but geez, some of the crap OTT reactions on here .......................... :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here