Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why’s it not quite working at the moment?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I think our formation doesn't work. Don't think it's a coincidence we've only won one game since we changed to 4-3-3. Our best football has come when we've played 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2.

Locadia doesn't track back leaving us exposed on our left. Montoya doesn't have the relationship with March which leaves us exposed on the right. Gross isn't where he needs to be. Stephens isn't good enough. Combined, it makes us completely lacking in substance across the middle of the park. Murray, Dunk & Duffy can only do so much with little support.

This with bells on. Stephens looks out of his depth in a 4-3-3.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cos the opposition goalies are.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I think the 4-3-3 was needed away from home where something clearly needed to change.
However at home the 4-4-1-1 was working fine so don't think it should have been changed.
Despite what many think Hughton is a very good manager and I have every faith he will sort it out.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We have suddenly become defensively inept. Conceding 7 goals in 100 minutes against Fulham and Burnley is nothing short of embarrassing.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Gross is Propper shit. See what I did there? They're both shit.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I feel as if the signings we made have only strengthened positions we were already reasonably strong in anyway. The weaknesses in our team were ignored. We're crying out for pace upfront, a tough tackling centre midfielder, a winger who can cross from the byline and more leadership when going forward. It seems last summers signings were too focused on the future rather than the now.

I certainly agree we needed a box-to-box goal-scoring CM who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate it - a Steven Gerrard, Brian Robson, Paul Scholes type of player. I'm sure we'd have been looking for one, but they are a bit hard to find - and even if you do find one there's the small difficulty of affording the fee and the wages, not to mention trying to persuade them to play where they won't get Champions League exposure for a while!

I think we do have players who can cross; they just all seem to prefer to stop, turn and pass it back or sideways. Wish I knew why they can't/won't ping them across.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I certainly agree we needed a box-to-box goal-scoring CM who can take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate it - a Steven Gerrard, Brian Robson, Paul Scholes type of player. I'm sure we'd have been looking for one, but they are a bit hard to find - and even if you do find one there's the small difficulty of affording the fee and the wages, not to mention trying to persuade them to play where they won't get Champions League exposure for a while!

I think we do have players who can cross; they just all seem to prefer to stop, turn and pass it back or sideways. Wish I knew why they can't/won't ping them across.

Who drives forward, taking the team with him.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We have a squad of decent players, but not enough special ones. These players all put a shift in and we should never get on their backs because it certainly isn't lack of effort that is the problem. I've always admired Stephens, Kayal, Gross, etc so it's hard to admit that we need players of a higher calibre if we are to succeed at this level. Locadia is hit and miss, maybe Jahanbakhsh needs more time but he hasn't shown enough yet. The jury's still out on Montoya for me. What success is at this level for a club of our stature is another question. If this is as good as it gets, then I am thankful for what we have, but if we want to step up a level then we have tough decisions to make in the summer and need a couple of real quality players rather than quantity. We've waited a long time to face this challenge, let's not forget to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Gross is Propper shit. See what I did there? They're both shit.

Sorry, not having that, Gross, who was superb last season has been very poor this season whereas Propper has looked one of our best creative players in what has become a rather poor side. Stephens has been awful, why Bong is played in preference to Bernardo I will never understand and also what on earth was going on in the first half when Gross was playing behind Montoya?

I love Chris but he’s all at sea right now and we need to move into survival mode if it’s not going to be Brentford and Burton next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have a squad of decent players, but not enough special ones. These players all put a shift in and we should never get on their backs because it certainly isn't lack of effort that is the problem. I've always admired Stephens, Kayal, Gross, etc so it's hard to admit that we need players of a higher calibre if we are to succeed at this level. Locadia is hit and miss, maybe Jahanbakhsh needs more time but he hasn't shown enough yet. What success is at this level for a club of our stature is another question. If this is as good as it gets, then I am thankful for what we have, but if we want to step up a level then we have tough decisions to make in the summer and need a couple of real quality players rather than quantity. We've waited a long time to face this challenge, let's not forget to enjoy the ride.

Very good post.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry, not having that, Gross, who was superb last season has been very poor this season whereas Propper has looked one of our best creative players in what has become a rather poor side. Stephens has been awful, why Bong is played in preference to Bernardo I will never understand and also what on earth was going on in the first half when Gross was playing behind Montoya?

I love Chris but he’s all at sea right now and we need to move into survival mode if it’s not going to be Brentford and Burton next season.
I agree with your other players too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here