Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr Attwell, The Referee

He was rubbish but not the reason we lost

And given Andone should have been sent off earlier in the week, we need to accept refs make mistakes and they even out

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was rubbish but not the reason we lost

And given Andone should have been sent off earlier in the week, we need to accept refs make mistakes and they even out

Not exactly true about the reasons we lost. AT 2-0 down a penalty to us changes the game plus Duffy header it would have been a draw so he was responsible for our defeat ultimately.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I agree. The decision making was so poor that some may even question if it was intentional or not. Let’s hope not, our game needs to be out of the reach of the Asian betting markets. History has given us examples though

I'm of a mind that there are bent officials on the take and yesterday's fiasco has done nothing to diminish that. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Attwell got a nice little earner into his Swiss account after that.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Honestly, I know there was a big uproar about the officiating in the Liverpool game a few weeks back, but that was nothing compared to Atwell this weekend. We've been on the end of some really bad officiating performances this year, but this one was absolutely at the top. The FA should be looking into him really.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just watched it on MOTD.

The Burnley penalty shouldn’t have been given for 3 reasons. The obvious penalty for us in the first place, Barnes is offside when he raced through, its tight , but he is offside, and Attwell plays advantage when Ryan fouls Barnes and Wood misses. It should be a goal kick.

Impressive refereeing to make 3 huge mistakes, in 1 goal.

As has been pointed out, you can't be offside in your own half. It was stupid of Dunk to step up and try and play him off - you can't do it there.

The advantage rule was changed about 15 years ago. The ref is allowed to let play run for a few seconds to see if there is an advantage. He doesn't have to make an instant, irrevocable decision. Quite often nowadays you see a foul and a delay before the ref blows the whistle and takes the play back.

It should have been a penalty to you, though. I'll grant you that. Though the one Murray got last year shouldn't have been, so it all evens out!

As for the 4 minutes injury time, there were probably 3 of them for time wasting - possibly not enough, but certainly more than usual. I don't think your substitutions took more than a minute because you were hurrying, we didn't make any substitutions - was the trainer on the field in the second half?

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
If I was Hughton I would be getting a big fine this week don’t know how he keeps his cool.

I wish sometimes he wouldn’t. Last week Dyche makes a huge fuss in the media about Barnes not getting a penalty against Southampton, and since then they’ve had two. Sometimes pays to make a bit more of a fuss.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As has been pointed out, you can't be offside in your own half. It was stupid of Dunk to step up and try and play him off - you can't do it there.

The advantage rule was changed about 15 years ago. The ref is allowed to let play run for a few seconds to see if there is an advantage. He doesn't have to make an instant, irrevocable decision. Quite often nowadays you see a foul and a delay before the ref blows the whistle and takes the play back.

It should have been a penalty to you, though. I'll grant you that. Though the one Murray got last year shouldn't have been, so it all evens out!

As for the 4 minutes injury time, there were probably 3 of them for time wasting - possibly not enough, but certainly more than usual. I don't think your substitutions took more than a minute because you were hurrying, we didn't make any substitutions - was the trainer on the field in the second half?

Thanks Sean but we already know your views about how badly treated you were earlier in the season and how these things even themselves out bla bla bla bla - TCNU!!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Worth noting he refereed our game against arsenal last season, gave Stephens that ridiculous yellow card for a perfectly clean tackle and then didnt even give a free kick, let alone a second yellow when kolasinac shoulder-charged Schellotto into next week. The man's got form

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here