Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I haven’t read the whole thread, to be honest, I can’t be bothered. After tonight’s abject performance, yes we had a lot of chances but didn’t finish again, Hughton has had his day! Thanks Chris but, you have reached your level. You are unable to make the hard descisions south as dropping Stephens Locardia and Gross, all of which are woefully short of this league. Boring tactics all season, flattered to deceive all season and now its coming home to roast. Thanks butbwe now need a new direction!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think the biggest issue with CH is even when he makes a substitution if chasing the game it's often like for like or he only tries something when it's hopelessly too late

I personally think it's the pace and directness of his style. He wants the team to move forward as a unit rather than midfielders playing defence splitting through balls from deep and wingers going alone. He would rather our wingers and midfielders play it back to the supporting full-backs or defenders when in dangerous positions so the rest of the team can push up giving us a better chance of winning back possession when we lose it. It's far too negative for my liking. Our style is too focused on what happens when we're not in possession.
We've got some real quality within our squad now but I feel we're not seeing the best of them. Player for player, I believe we have more talent than Burnley and Watford but yet we only picked up one point from 2 home games.

Still though, I wouldn't sack CH. It would be idiotic at this stage of the season. What a panic decision that would be. Bloom's too wise to know how sacking CH now would effectively be flipping a coin to determine our safety hopes.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I haven’t read the whole thread, to be honest, I can’t be bothered. After tonight’s abject performance, yes we had a lot of chances but didn’t finish again, Hughton has had his day! Thanks Chris but, you have reached your level. You are unable to make the hard descisions south as dropping Stephens Locardia and Gross, all of which are woefully short of this league. Boring tactics all season, flattered to deceive all season and now its coming home to roast. Thanks but we now need a new direction!
Like Norwich and Birmingham did ......... righty-ho.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I cannot believe that I'm having to repeat ad nauseum the fact that Hughton has a ceiling to his talents, and he hit it ages ago when we got promoted.

Since then he has never developed any new player we've bought into one that looks anything like Premier League quality, hence we needed to buy every new player with previous Premier League experience (we did not), not have to develop them after they arrived from some obscure team from wherever in the world.

Then Hughton plays the game with one player up front, basically forcing us to play with one hand tied behind our backs, this then accounts for why we built up a great defence so as to give us a chance of at least winning or drawing enough matches by not conceding too many goals.

This tactic is now falling apart mainly because defensively we are facing too many threats from opponents throughout the game due to poor ball retention up front and in midfield thus Dunk, Duffy and co are knackered from a long season of doing all the hard work for the team whilst the slackers like Gross and Stephens (to name but two) just jog around doing f*** all to help the cause.

Result...A potentially f***ing disastrous end to what looked like a good season midway through it, and Hughton has not a clue on how to change it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My take on the game is that we are seriously wanting. 3pts out of 36 tells it's own story.

First half, we started brightly by only Gross's shot bought out a good save. The others were made to look good but were at a decent height for any keeper to save.

Bong put in a great cross for March but his header was straight into the centre of the goal where Heaton was. Looked dramatic but my gradma could had saved that.

Locadia never looked like he was getting in the game.

After a bright start, we got bullied by Burnley, especially Barnes and we then just played hoof ball up to Murray who couldn't do anything because a) he didn't win the ball or b) when he did, there was no one around to capitalize on it.

I really don't understand this idea that we are playing 433. We have four defenders then in front of them is Stevens and Propper. We are, as we have pretty much all season, two wide players. Gross plays behind Murray.. If anything we are still playing 4 4 1 1. Both Stephens and Propper were reasonable prolific scorers from midfield before they came to us but we elect to play them both deep. Unfortunately, Murray and Gross have no pace so there is a massive gap between the midfield 4 and those 2.

Bissouma is a great player but because he might lose the ball, doesn't get a game. He can link the deep lying midfielders with the attack by Hughton doesn't want to play him.

Tactically we were out played by Burnley and we had the ref against us. However, we are not looking at one game. We have conceded a 2-0 lead at Fulham against a team everyone is beating yet we concede 4 goals. We are three points above relegation zone, a zone in which Cardiff are picking up points. Form over the last 11 games shows us as second bottom and as much as the dreamers keep going on about Newcastle, Soton, Cardiff and Huddersfield at home, it means jack shit if we don't beat them because we are unlikely to get any wins away from home, if a point at all?

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
My take on the game is that we are seriously wanting. 3pts out of 36 tells it's own story.

First half, we started brightly by only Gross's shot bought out a good save. The others were made to look good but were at a decent height for any keeper to save.

Bong put in a great cross for March but his header was straight into the centre of the goal where Heaton was. Looked dramatic but my gradma could had saved that.

After a bright start, we got bullied by Burnley, especially Barnes and we then just played hoof ball up to Murray who couldn't do anything because a) he didn't win the ball or b) when he did, there was no one around to capitalize on it.

I really don't understand this idea that we are playing 433. We have four defenders then in front of them is Stevens and Propper. We are, as we have pretty much all season, two wide players. Gross plays behind Murray.. If anything we are still playing 4 4 1 1. Both Stephens and Propper were reasonable prolific scorers from midfield before they came to us but we elect to play them both deep. Unfortunately, Murray and Gross have no pace so there is a massive gap between the midfield 4 and those 2.

Bissouma is a great player but because he might lose the ball, doesn't get a game. He can link the deep lying midfielders with the attack by Hughton doesn't want to play him.

Tactically we were out played by Burnley and we had the ref against us. However, we are not looking at one game. We have conceded a 2-0 lead at Fulham against a team everyone is beating yet we concede 4 goals. We are three points above relegation zone, a zone in which Cardiff are picking up points. Form over the last 11 games shows us as second bottom and as much as the dreamers keep going on about Newcastle, Soton, Cardiff and Huddersfield at home, it means jack shit if we don't beat them because we are unlikely to get any wins away from home, if a point at all?

Totally correct on all fronts.

Still cannot fathom why Hughton doesn't trust the youngsters like Bissouma when players like Stephens are so bloody ineffectual at the moment.

patalan48

Mar 5, 2017
Because of the poor run of results and the threat of relegation, I believe it is right to question the manager's performance. However, that should focus on his strengths and weaknesses. I think most fans would agree that is a very good man manager in the way he has dealt with players, his reputation in the football community and his leadership skills. His weaknesses are in tactical inflexibility and innovation, misplaced loyalty and player development. Unfortunately, because of apparent insecurity or obstinacy in these areas, he has chosen an assistant manager and first-team coach who are loyal and on the basis of recent performances, have done little to influence Hughton’s approach. I would suggest the manager needs to replace them with a well- respected coach and tactician before his position becomes untenable.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
But if Hughton did get the bullet who would replace him at this late stage...Fat Sam?!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Don’t disagree with much of that. Cork and Hendrick were also excellent for them, and their 4-4-2 was robust, organized and did bully us, don’t think anyone could argue that. Also agree Propper ended up deeper but Gross still ended up mostly on the right linking up with March whereas Locadia looked short on options from the left.

And didn’t see any of the subs make much of a difference though, so not sure what you do selection wise as I don’t think Bissouma can play the Gross role. He’ll have another chance to get that starting spot on Saturday.

I did think however that Heaton pulled off a couple of top drawer saves and we had a couple of shots that got deflected i thought were in. We had that many chances there were some decent ones they missed on motd.

I still trust Hughton and the group that this is our worse run in the PL, but we’ll turn it around. It wasn’t an abject performance but any means, but we do need to cut out the mistakes because they costing us more that tactics or personnel.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I really hope that we wouldn’t sack Hughton if we got relegated.

Well, I hope we would.
He has serious limitations that have been heavily exposed over the last few desperate weeks. The club have splashed out a fair amount of dosh on new players and to be honest,, have any of them made a lasting impression?( Bernardo maybe).Now, is this because we have bought poorly or is the manager and his coaching team incapable of integrating these players into the team and getting the best out of our squad?
The buck stops with the manager and as Harry W's Tackle said, ......then what?
I also said this on another thread.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
From the outside - Anyone calling for Hughton's head needs their own head examining. Brighton are in with a very good chance of staying up, again. Whether you like it or not, for most teams in the PL, that is success. They're all good teams in there, I don't see too many people looking at that Brighton squad and thinking "wow, they're underachieving". There seems to be a little toxic atmosphere around right now - Really odd, should be getting right behind him and the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is the thing... are there any reputable quality managers that would could entice to our club?

Chances are we'd have to gamble on a relatively unproven former player... or an overachieving virtually unknown (over here) from abroad.

Hypothetical question, there is no way CH will get the sack.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we lost against all of our next three league fixtures against Leicester, Huddersfield and Palace than I would EXPECT him to get the sack.

Thankfully, that won't happen - surely?

That we could lose the next three? Absolutely, I’ll take one point from them at the moment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The season so far is strikingly similar to Hughton’s 2nd season at Norwich when he took them down.

Except he didn’t, they were clear of the relgation zone when he was sacked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here