Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Almost two seasons in and the sad fact is that we’ve done almost nothing to enliven the Premier League. Nobody expected us to take the world by storm but it almost feels as though we haven’t tried. We’ve been so risk averse it’s been painful. I fear that the rest of the league will look at us as the new... Stoke. Brrr!

We came up with all the goodwill in the world on the back of our painful past. I can’t help but think we’ve squandered the goodwill dividend. Now we’re just another urchin with ideas above our station.

I haven’t a clue what I would have done differently though. I guess it really is tough at the top.

Sigh! A pointless, meandering post on my part I’m afraid. Matches how I am feeling about this season. We won’t event try and have a cup run now, will we?

That'll be most newly promoted sides then.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
We were the better team today. More possession, more shots.

That doesn't make us the better team though does it. They were defending a lead away from home, soaking up all we could muster and then hitting us on the break. We were a little unlucky but they deserved the win with an excellent away performance.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They just knew how to play us. We were so one dimensional with long balls to Murray which were gobbled up by there big back line. Relegation scrap here we come no idea if we will survive.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Chris has been in charge for a long time. The club, the player buys, squad, team selection, all of it is now his.

We outsmarted the others in the championship, and much to the surprise of many we stayed in the PL last season.

And we haven’t been too shabby this season.

But eventually if there is a weakness you get found out.

We are well drilled, very thoughtful. We have game plan that everyone understands. Including the opposition. Players are carefully selected to implement the plan.
Unfortunately you need to be disruptive, not predictable. We have no surprises. Disruptive strategy and play salvages weak sides (Palace, Everton…) and gives hope during duress.

If we go down, CH will get us back up in 1 or 2 seasons. Then what?

To paraphrase Albert Einstein, if you keep doing the same thing (every week) and expect a different outcome (from last time) , you are a ****ing idiot.

Sorry, but it is probably time to change the manager.

Disappointed in your post Harry. We haven’t kept doing the same thing, we have changed to 4 -3 - 3 to suit the players we have bought.
The strikers not scoring can be blamed on the manager but is he really to blame?
We dropped from 13th to 14th today. Let’s be honest we are used to either being in a relegation struggle or a promotion struggle. We have our excitement back.
If we go down, who better to bring us back up than Chris, just like Dyche?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He has to stop playing Championship players in the PL not rocket science. £30m of technically better players on the bench is ****ing stupid, we won three in a row and then surprise he wants to play Stephens again which was harsh on Kayal. Pascal who gave us goals and assists last season was almost playing right back he was so deep today. CH has done well in the past now he’s out of his depth it happens.

Don't think CH is out of his depth so much as the players are. The Ryan-Dunk-Duffy triumvirate is SOUND. But beyond that it's Championship level; our midfield is flakey and disjointed, and our attacking force is threadbare. Assuming we huff and puff our way to safety this season, we need to upgrade to proven PL quality, at least in the key positions. Too much club resources wasted trying to unearth hidden gems from anywhere and everywhere. Need to start acting like a grown-up PL club now on the transfer front, while there's still time. And yes I DO know it's spending somebody else's money :bla:

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Still fully behind Hughton as he has worked wonders to get us where we are now compared to where we were when he took over.

Although Today we did not have a plan B and played to Burnely’s strengths. We are only in our 2nd season in the Premier League and today was a reality check for us

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Come on are you saying leaving Locadia on and taking our best performing player off was right? He doesn't make you a bad fan to challenge shit decsions. Definitely a poor substitution...

You must have missed the bit just before HT where Solly was down on the touchline as play continued. Took a big knock. Clear that they wanted to see if it would work out at start of second half, which it didn't. Only reason you make a sub within 5 mins of second half.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't think CH is out of his depth so much as the players are. The Ryan-Dunk-Duffy triumvirate is SOUND. But beyond that it's Championship level; our midfield is flakey and disjointed, and our attacking force is threadbare. Assuming we huff and puff our way to safety this season, we need to upgrade to proven PL quality, at least in the key positions. Too much club resources wasted trying to unearth hidden gems from anywhere and everywhere. Need to start acting like a grown-up PL club now on the transfer front, while there's still time. And yes I DO know it's spending somebody else's money :bla:

I’m with you. I’m always of the thinking that our squad quality is patchy to say the least. I think CH has chiselled out PL results over the last 18 months, in spite of the serious lack of squad PL quality. Several players including Knockaert and Locadia have failed to consistently impress.

IF we stay up, I hope and believe that TB/PB/CH/PW will seriously get to grips with squad quality this summer.

Should we drop, I haven’t got a clue how the squad would change.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You must have missed the bit just before HT where Solly was down on the touchline as play continued. Took a big knock. Clear that they wanted to see if it would work out at start of second half, which it didn't. Only reason you make a sub within 5 mins of second half.
Which was a worry he’s shite at this level can’t see him being a regular starter for any other PL side.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Still fully behind Hughton as he has worked wonders to get us where we are now compared to where we were when he took over.

Although Today we did not have a plan B and played to Burnely’s strengths. We are only in our 2nd season in the Premier League and today was a reality check for us
Today? We didn't have a plan B today? Today? We never have a Plan B and on days like today I sometimes wonder if we have a Plan A?

We clearly need some new ideas and Hughton and Co. seem devoid of them.

Yes, I am thoroughly pissed off right now. Pissed off also that people trot out the "We've only dropped from 13th to 14th". They ignore the fact that we have gone from a comfortable mid table position to being 3 points out of the bottom 3 in only a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which was a worry he’s shite at this level can’t see him being a regular starter for any other PL side.

I used to question Solly’s ability, but now I rate him. When we play well, he’s often our best player or the equal of any other (vs Palace, Watford for example).

He really is the least of our issues.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’m not saying we need to change quite yet, but a good manager is rated on how he reacts to poor performances.

At the moment that seems to be just play the same 11 and hope for a better result, which I think is what is leading to the frustration from the fans.

We have become pedestrian and ponderous with the ball, often choosing the wrong pass and when we are playing out from the back the lack of movement is shockingly bad. We aren’t difficult to play against, drop numbers behind the ball and frustrate us .... sooner or later we will make a mistake and give away a soft goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here