Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A minute of paper clappers at Fulham

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just back from a windy game of golf and seemly there is a minutes applauding for the Cardiff player and the pilot.

Great guesture

Just switched on Fulham vs franchise and Fulham fans using their clappers

Am I the only one to think it isn't a bit tacky and they could at least clap their hands?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Can anyone translate this into ENGLISH???

"Am I the only one to think it isn't a bit tacky"

So if he thinks it is not tacky then it must mean it is tasteful.

On that basis why is there a need to clap their hands?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just back from a windy game of golf and seemly there is a minutes applauding for the Cardiff player and the pilot.

Great guesture

Am I the only one to think it isn't a bit tacky and they could at least clap their hands?

I agree I thought it odd. Also why its sad it is one person, yesterday 10 young players lost their lives and three seriously burnt yet no mention. The football community should be properly mourning those poor souls.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Great guesture

Was it definitely for Sala, as I noticed David Stockdale and Bobby Zamora commenting on a lady's death who is connected with Fulham. She leaves a young child and a husband.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was it definitely for Sala, as I noticed David Stockdale and Bobby Zamora commenting on a lady's death who is connected with Fulham. She leaves a young child and a husband.

Yes they had a picture of him on the screen

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can anyone translate this into ENGLISH???

For some reason my aging iPad will keep putting isnt when I type is!

But thanks for your concern big T

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally I think this is all a bit OTT (expect to get flamed for this). Sala has never played in the premier league and to be honest, until this event I had never heard of him (I didn't see the friendly against Nantes).

It seems to me that everyone wants to jump on everyone else's tragedy. This was a tragic event for Sala, the pilot and their families and for their friends. It also impacted on the people that he had played with and for but does the whole footballing world have to be seen to be honoring him? The Shoreham crash was a tragedy very close to home for Brighton and I think fans and the club dealt with the whole terrible situation with grace and respect but it was a tragedy linked to our club and not the rest of the PL. I don't recall every other club having a minutes silence/applause for it. I had a similar sense with the national outpouring of grief following the Leicester tragedy.

Probably a more tragic event this week was the fire at Flamenco in which 10 youth players died but I doubt that will get much of a mention!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It's always appallingly sad when someone dies at such a young age, and in horrifically tragic circumstances.

But it seems so grossly inappropriate for hundreds of thousands of football supporters to be instructed to applaud - applaud, FFS? - by way of commemoration.

If some mass gesture is to be enforced across the country, a minute of shared and utterly silent contemplation is far more fitting. And respectful.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Personally I think this is all a bit OTT (expect to get flamed for this). Sala has never played in the premier league and to be honest, until this event I had never heard of him (I didn't see the friendly against Nantes).

It seems to me that everyone wants to jump on everyone else's tragedy. This was a tragic event for Sala, the pilot and their families and for their friends. It also impacted on the people that he had played with and for but does the whole footballing world have to be seen to be honoring him? The Shoreham crash was a tragedy very close to home for Brighton and I think fans and the club dealt with the whole terrible situation with grace and respect but it was a tragedy linked to our club and not the rest of the PL. I don't recall every other club having a minutes silence/applause for it. I had a similar sense with the national outpouring of grief following the Leicester tragedy.

Probably a more tragic event this week was the fire at Flamenco in which 10 youth players died but I doubt that will get much of a mention!
Totally agree. It's got silly now. My thoughts are with the families but let's leave it at that.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

But there was a minute’s silence. We were playing at Walsall in the league cup during the week following, and I seem to remember that we and all the other games that night also observed a minute’s silence.

I agree with your general sentiment, though, but perhaps the poor Flamenco boys are just too far away for people to feel so affected.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Black armbands are being worn more frequently these days for seemingly any football related tragedy. Fair enough when directly related to the affected club but it’s getting ridiculous now. I’m expecting the new kits of all clubs to have them as part of the kit soon.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Minute Silences should be reserved for major events - Remembrance Sunday etc and when club staff/ex player dies.

They have lost all meaning.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I was wondering myself....a man playing for Nantes, never kicked a ball in England - sad though the kid's death was, wtf has it got to do with a game in London?

Seems that everyone is a tad too keen to read the word 'tragedy' into the mere vicissitudes of mortal existence, ....to mourn the loss of people they really have no connection to.

Have a whip round, or moments silence for the kids of Syria or South Sudan and I may empathise.

I suppose I'm hoping that a sense of perspective may return, but I shouldn't hold my breath.

Its all gone peter tong since Diana!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here