PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 9th February 2019
Kick-off: 17:30 GMT
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Simon Long
Fourth official: David Coote

TEAM NEWS

Brighton will assess Dale Stephens, who was a late withdrawal against Watford because of a hip problem.

Striker Florin Andone has been charged with violent conduct after appearing to elbow an opponent in midweek, leaving him at risk of a three-match ban.

Winger Jose Izquierdo has returned to training following a knee problem but is unlikely to be involved.

Burnley midfielder Steven Defour is again set to miss out because of a calf injury.

Full-back Matt Lowton will have a fitness test after recovering from a cracked toe bone.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Simon Brotherton: Wednesday's FA Cup win at West Brom provided a much-needed boost for Brighton, who have yet to win in the league since the turn of the year.

They're on a disappointing run of one win in 10 league matches. Last Saturday they came up against an in-form Ben Foster and had to settle for a goalless draw against Watford.

This week brings another in-form goalkeeper to the south coast, with Tom Heaton impressive for Burnley of late.

The Clarets have picked up markedly and are unbeaten in six matches since his return to the first team, their best league run for 10 months.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton: "I'm expecting a tight game... the levels of the two clubs and the two teams have been relatively similar over the last seasons.

"They, of course, had an outstanding season last season and [that is] testament to them, certainly with the budgets and what they have as regards the squad and the amount of players in the squad."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche: "The last run of six league games has shown a more consistent level of our identity, with performances and points.

"The nature of what we've been known for - of going all the way down the line for games with our last breath - was paid back [and] I've been pleased with that.

"Individually and collectively, there's been some really good performances."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]This will be the fourth meeting between the sides in the top flight. Burnley are unbeaten in the previous three (W1, D2).
    [*=left]Brighton are winless in their last six games against the Clarets, although five of those matches were draws - a sequence which ended with Burnley's 1-0 win at Turf Moor earlier this season.
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton have won just one of their past 10 Premier League games, drawing three and losing six, and are winless in their five top-flight matches in 2019 (D2, L3).
    [*=left]They could fail to score in three consecutive top-flight home matches for the first time in their history.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have never lost a Premier League game in February (W2, D2). The only other team to remain unbeaten in a single month in the division are Blackpool, who avoided defeat in both of their games in December 2010 (with three further matches postponed because of a frozen pitch).
    [*=left]Brighton's three home league defeats this season have all come against sides who begin the weekend in the top four: Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea.
    [*=left]Glenn Murray is one short of 100 league goals for Brighton across two spells at the club.
Burnley

• [*=left]Burnley are unbeaten in six league games (W3, D3), their best run for 10 months. They have never gone seven matches without defeat in the Premier League.
    [*=left]The recalled Tom Heaton has started their last six top-flight matches, and the Clarets have not lost a Premier League game he has played in since August 2017 (against West Brom).
    [*=left]Burnley are winless in 14 Premier League games played in February (D7, L7) since winning their first ever match in the month in 2010 against West Ham.
    [*=left]They ended a 67-game wait for a Premier League penalty against Southampton, with Ashley Barnes winning and converting their first spot-kick in the top flight since April 2017.
    [*=left]This game brings together the two sides to have attempted the fewest shots in the Premier League this season - Burnley have registered 238, compared to 246 for Brighton.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Murray starts I'm going home.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I obviously want us to win every game, but this today, I'm really nervous about how much I want us to win it. There's the league table, where we are now looking over our shoulder, but mainly, because it's Burnley. They really are a "grey" club, if you get my drift. That Joey Barton stamp game still rankles with me. I don't think I've ever come home from a game so absolutely threaders.
Please lads, really stuff this lot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I obviously want us to win every game, but this today, I'm really nervous about how much I want us to win it. There's the league table, where we are now looking over our shoulder, but mainly, because it's Burnley. They really are a "grey" club, if you get my drift. That Joey Barton stamp game still rankles with me. I don't think I've ever come home from a game so absolutely threaders.
Please lads, really stuff this lot.

From memory we have been the better team in all bar one of the last few meetings but have yet to come away with more than a point.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
So excited

Me too, I think it was this bit that's really boosted my enthusiasm for today:

This game brings together the two sides to have attempted the fewest shots in the Premier League this season - :albion2:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Burnley *** Official Match Thread ***

Will Crouchie start? #robot

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It is both my birthday, and 45th anniversary of my first ever Albion match today. #BetterBloodyWin

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Offside ! Penalty !

Stuart Attwell is lenient and is not fooled by playacting. (Burnley will not get a penalty.) Sees offside forwards interfering with play.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Just hope Joey Barton doesn't STAMP on anyone.

We'll loose otherwise.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just hope Joey Barton doesn't STAMP on anyone.

We'll loose otherwise.
Fortunately, Barton is now Fleetwood manager so will have to teleport down from Bradford in order to stamp on anyone at the Amex today.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here