Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] V a r

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
How will VAR react when an incorrect offside decision is given by the officials ? The ref has blown his whistle and the game stopped. Advantage defending team.
This has happened on a few occasions at the Amex. Would the attacking team be awarded a free kick ?
Over to you for discussion.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Var will never question decisions such as corners, throw-ins or offsides, with the latter only being checked after a goal is scored to see if it stands.

This way the game doesn’t make a mockery of the referees and they are still perceived to have the ultimate say.

This is how it works in Spain and it seems fine to me.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How will VAR react when an incorrect offside decision is given by the officials ? The ref has blown his whistle and the game stopped. Advantage defending team.
This has happened on a few occasions at the Amex. Would the attacking team be awarded a free kick ?

If that is the case, there is nothing that VAR will change.

When VAR was used at the World Cup last year, referee's assistants were encouraged to delay raising their flag for close offside decisions to allow play to develop. If a goal was subsequently scored, VAR would review the potential offside and if necessary rule out the goal and award the defending team a free-kick.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Var will never question decisions such as corners, throw-ins or offsides, with the latter only being checked after a goal is scored to see if it stands.

This way the game doesn’t make a mockery of the referees and they are still perceived to have the ultimate say.

This is how it works in Spain and it seems fine to me.

Doesn’t that encourage those who are through on goal but flagged offside to shoot and attempt to score, so that the decision can then go to VAR?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When VAR was used at the World Cup last year, referee's assistants were encouraged to delay raising their flag for close offside decisions to allow play to develop. If a goal was subsequently scored, VAR would review the potential offside and if necessary rule out the goal and award the defending team a free-kick.

This.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I really dislike VAR because it seems to be slowing the natural flow of the game, hopefully they can refine it and make the system better. Personally i'd rather they ditched it, controversial decisions have always been part and parcel of football.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Technology is moving at a pace, no doubt as with goal line technology something will come along in a few years that will say within a second if someone is offside.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Doesn’t that encourage those who are through on goal but flagged offside to shoot and attempt to score, so that the decision can then go to VAR?

They won't be flagged offside if it is close. Goal scored then there is a review to confirm whether they are offside. Seems sensible to me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Technology is moving at a pace, no doubt as with goal line technology something will come along in a few years that will say within a second if someone is offside.

Why don’t they introduce Touchline technology so linesmen don’t have to worry about throw ins, corners and goal kicks and can concentrate on offsides and supporting the referee. In time we won’t need these funny little bald people trotting up and down the touch lines (other than in Sunday morning football). Just a thought !

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why don’t they introduce Touchline technology so linesmen don’t have to worry about throw ins, corners and goal kicks and can concentrate on offsides and supporting the referee. In time we won’t need these funny little bald people trotting up and down the touch lines (other than in Sunday morning football). Just a thought !

GLT only determines if the ball crossed the line, not who touched it last although that said, it seems throw in decisions are all made by the ref these days.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
something will come along in a few years that will say within a second if someone is offside.

This is already available, Brighton play a long ball out of defence towards Murray, linesman raises his flag for offside.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I really dislike VAR because it seems to be slowing the natural flow of the game, hopefully they can refine it and make the system better. Personally i'd rather they ditched it, controversial decisions have always been part and parcel of football.
Have to agree with this.

The game has always thrown up controversial decisions and it’s part and parcel of what makes the game so enjoyable in terms of the after match debate.

The referees decision used to be final so even if it was an offside goal the rules allowed it to be onside if the ref decided that at the time. It’s a fast moving game with any number of minor incidents that can affect the outcome of any attacking move etc.

Yes a missed handball in the penalty area can affect the outcome but so can a missed foul 20 seconds earlier in the same move.

Leave the game alone, accept that you will win some decisions and lose others and let’s get back to good old fashioned football.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes.

I can't see a problem in this.

No I agree, there shouldn't be. But I can foresee a potential scenario where refs end up carding the player who shoots because they've not stopped at the whistle. I guess it all comes down to the consistency of decision making and what bar they set in terms of when a lino raises their flag.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

supporting the referee.
Not sure the goal line technology really helps with the majority of throw-in decisions, but I agree with anything that helps the so called "assistant referees" make decisions. Recently, they seem less and less sure to make any 50/50 decisions, rather waiting for the referee. The obsession with being seen to make the same decision, is limiting their role to make many decisions at all. The decision by Attwell to over-rule the corner given by the linesman in the 1st half was baffling at the time - (no idea of TV proved it one way or the other) but it shows that reaching the same decision isn't crucial.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

They won't do it initially, because football in it's arrogance doesn't seem capable of talking to other sports about they handle it, but in time, I would imagine that they will come to the same realisation as the NFL, and encourage refs to not blow the whistle on marginal calls that will pull back a clear goalscoring opportunity. Let it play out, and if the runner through on goal was offside, it will get pulled back, but if he was onside the goal can stand. Flag goes up, no whistle, if the player misses the offside is given and no-one argues. If the player scores, the offside is given and VAR can overturn if that's wrong.

That's how I'd deal with it, but I'm sure the fantastic brains trust of the footballing authorities will come up with something better.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They won't do it initially, because football in it's arrogance doesn't seem capable of talking to other sports about they handle it, but in time, I would imagine that they will come to the same realisation as the NFL, and encourage refs to not blow the whistle on marginal calls that will pull back a clear goalscoring opportunity. Let it play out, and if the runner through on goal was offside, it will get pulled back, but if he was onside the goal can stand. Flag goes up, no whistle, if the player misses the offside is given and no-one argues. If the player scores, the offside is given and VAR can overturn if that's wrong.

That's how I'd deal with it, but I'm sure the fantastic brains trust of the footballing authorities will come up with something better.

The problem with that is that if the flag goes up, players do tend to slow up or stop. I know "play to the whistle" is the mantra, but it'll be disconcerting for defenders (and the crowd) to see a lino raise his flag, but play continue until its conclusion (be it a goal or whatever). You're also then removing the lino from that particular passage of play until the ball goes dead, as he'll have to stand there in line with his offside call while play continues. Its just going to create more uncertainty.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The problem with that is that if the flag goes up, players do tend to slow up or stop. I know "play to the whistle" is the mantra, but it'll be disconcerting for defenders (and the crowd) to see a lino raise his flag, but play continue until its conclusion (be it a goal or whatever). You're also then removing the lino from that particular passage of play until the ball goes dead, as he'll have to stand there in line with his offside call while play continues. Its just going to create more uncertainty.

But it's not right to blow the whistle and stop the play with someone through on goal, so if it's marginal play should carry on. Maybe the flag doesn't go up then - NFL players are used to playing on with flags on the field though - and the lino just tells the ref in his ear-piece. The ref lets play continue until the passage of play ends, and then awards the offside. If VAR overturns it, then it's a goal. If it doesn't it's a free-kick for offside, and no goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But it's not right to blow the whistle and stop the play with someone through on goal, so if it's marginal play should carry on. Maybe the flag doesn't go up then - NFL players are used to playing on with flags on the field though - and the lino just tells the ref in his ear-piece. The ref lets play continue until the passage of play ends, and then awards the offside. If VAR overturns it, then it's a goal. If it doesn't it's a free-kick for offside, and no goal.

Isn't that exactly what the linesmen have been told - if in doubt, then DON'T raise your flag for offside. Let play continue and let VAR sort it out ? I think thats (in theory) how its supposed to work. I guess we'll have to get used to the spectacle of more and more goal celebrations having to be put "on hold" while the VAR is checked.

By far my least favourite aspect of the technology.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here