Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1971-2 fill your boots

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was the second season I was fully football awake.

I notice a massive ManU bias from the commentators....strange and annoying given it was years ince their last FD win. That's the magical charisma of ManUre.

Games are slooooow, but there are some skillful players.....skinny...bad lifestyles....primitive stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPVxxDgy5Y&list=PLC7069B2D3E1656DD

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This was the second season I was fully football awake.

I notice a massive ManU bias from the commentators....strange and annoying given it was years ince their last FD win. That's the magical charisma of ManUre.

Games are slooooow, but there are some skillful players.....skinny...bad lifestyles....primitive stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIPVxxDgy5Y&list=PLC7069B2D3E1656DD

Brilliant, I like the words underneath video...'those who must not be mentioned' :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Eighteen minutes in and apart from Clyde Best it is all skinny white men with bad haircuts.

Not sure what to make of this, actually. My childhood memories are being degraded :tantrum:......The Albion would absolutely smash a new one into all these sides. Diet....attitude....my... how we have all come on in the last 45 years. Thankfully.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
28 minutes. Peter Grummitt doing very badly in goal for massive...lucky we didn't buy him.

Oh.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It's a funny watch isn't it.

Any modern side from Championship or above would shred these teams but I guess those players born in this era would have the fitness and training to play the modern game.

Some of the goalkeeping is laughable!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a funny watch isn't it.

Any modern side from Championship or above would shred these teams but I guess those players born in this era would have the fitness and training to play the modern game.

Some of the goalkeeping is laughable!

Indeed. And the absolute state of some of those pitches.....put a schcool team out on that today and social services would be round. That remonds me, I remember playing on a pitch so frozen in Victoria Park Portslade that if you fell over you would be slashed by a frozen worm cast. If the ball hit your thigh it would turn red, then purple, then yellow. 1960s styleeeeee!

Totally weird seeing absolutely no black players. I saw Clyde Best, and Paul Reaney....I am over the hour mark now.....Were there no black people in the UK or was society a bit racist back then? ???

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Heavy pitches, no proper fitness regime, little squad rotation. Some of our fourth division teams would have tonked these sides in April. Great watch though.

You look at George Best- great skills. But he wouldn't have had a fraction of the time to make his decisions these days. That said, in a modern managed environment, what a player he would be.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Just got to 13:20 when Peter Lorimer hacks down a Liverpool player without censure and Leeds go down the other end and immediately score. I think it harks back to a pre-VAR era!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hudderrsfield's pitch reminiscent of No Man's Land, Somewhere in France, 1916.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is Albion v. Villa on it?
If so, I'll have a look. It was at Easter, so should be near the end, if at all.

I was searching for that and found this.....let me know as I have stopped watching....distracted by lovely music... :lolol::thumbsup:

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Park Life. Some great commentary, 'it's a great goal' as Keegan or Terry McTurkey slides in on a muddy backside to bundle in a sliced cross that took three deflections.

Some good terrace scenes though. 50 pence to get in, great fun.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
My first season watching the Albion (12/02/72 v Walsall home, lost 1-2 Spearritt iirc!) and I was hooked.

Loved the kit, the smell of the freshly printed programme and the wow factor when going through the East turnstiles, climbing the bank and seeing the carpet of green below.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Marvellous scenes.

71-72 I was largely filling my nappy.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
This is the exact season I got hooked as well! Weirdly I decided i liked Leeds first with Lorimer, Jones, Gray Clarke etc as my early hero's then my dad took me to the Goldstone and that was it........

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Do you think Brighton of today would beat the 1970 Brazil team?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here