Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drinking when flying into Dubai

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I’m in the UAE next week on business, mostly in Abu Dhabi but flying into Dubai for logistical reasons. I’m fortunate enough to have secured a business class seat in an Emirates A380 which should be a pretty nice experience, but for anyone who’s flown into Dubai recently, what’s the craic with drinking mid-flight?

I know drinking in Dubai is generally ok so long as you don’t get blatantly pìssed up in public or do anything stupid (neither of which do I intend to do). But is it ok to indulge in a glass of wine and a couple of beers on the plane or am I best steering completely clear? You read the odd horror story, but realistically is there a genuine risk that a whiff of booze on my breath when going through security sees me spending the rest of 2019 in a UAE prison?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m in the UAE next week on business, mostly in Abu Dhabi but flying into Dubai for logistical reasons. I’m fortunate enough to have secured a business class seat in an Emirates A380 which should be a pretty nice experience, but for anyone who’s flown into Dubai recently, what’s the craic with drinking mid-flight?

I know drinking in Dubai is generally ok so long as you don’t get blatantly pìssed up in public or do anything stupid (neither of which do I intend to do). But is it ok to indulge in a glass of wine and a couple of beers on the plane or am I best steering completely clear? You read the odd horror story, but realistically is there a genuine risk that a whiff of booze on my breath when going through security sees me spending the rest of 2019 in a UAE prison?

No, there isn't a risk at all. It's fine to have a few on the plane, as you say just don't get pissed, or act like a knob when you arrive.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

if it was remotely dodgy would the kindly staff of an Emirates aeroplane have booze on board ?

After all, given the cost of your ticket, do they need to act like Ryanair and try to screw you for a couple of G&T's in order to make a profit ?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Emirates 380 to Dubai has Bar where you get what you like or get stewardess to bring to your seat. Great Experience.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
So long as you’re not blatantly pissed and abusive at immigration, not an issue. Much the same as it would be entering any country, including the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I flew Emirates to Dubai. Best flight experience I have ever had. Certainly better than Dubai itself. Booze is fine but do check that any meds, over the counter or prescription are permitted in UAE

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've been living here 15 years. It's not perfect (show me the city that is...), but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Home is where the heart is.

As others have said, you won't face any problems on the plane / in the airport if you're not hammered, abusive and/or cause a scene.

Dubai Duty Free is itself a fairly large organisation over here. There's plenty of alcohol shops around the place too once you get here.

If you're around in Dubai next Saturday 16th, come down to the Movenpick, JBR to watch the Derby Cup game.

There's a few Albion in there and you'd be very welcome!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Not drink related but I've read of 4 separate cases over the last year or so where someone has brought in pills on prescription perfectly legal in the UK, and the outcome has been immediate prison in UAE for up to a few months if I recall. Remember whilst UAE may have nice hotels etc it is still a strict Muslim country. The punishment for breaking the law over there is far stricter than in the UK. Never forget that. You also have far fewer human rights over there as well, don't forget that either.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I've been living here 15 years. It's not perfect (show me the city that is...), but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Home is where the heart is.

As others have said, you won't face any problems on the plane / in the airport if you're not hammered, abusive and/or cause a scene.

Dubai Duty Free is itself a fairly large organisation over here. There's plenty of alcohol shops around the place too once you get here.

If you're around in Dubai next Saturday 16th, come down to the Movenpick, JBR to watch the Derby Cup game.

There's a few Albion in there and you'd be very welcome!

As it happens I’m staying at the Hilton JBR which looks to be pretty much next door to the Movenpick, however I fly back the morning of the 14th sadly. Any recommendations in the area welcome though as I’ll have an evening on my lonesome.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Are you a complete dullard... assuming you have an intellect and a career... why the fook do you need to ask this question???... Jesus wept....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This is my advise also...to stay completely clear of Dubai. The fact it’s popular with footballers is all you need to know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you a complete dullard... assuming you have an intellect and a career... why the fook do you need to ask this question???... Jesus wept....

Maybe you could “hunt him down” and ask him in person?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As it happens I’m staying at the Hilton JBR which looks to be pretty much next door to the Movenpick, however I fly back the morning of the 14th sadly. Any recommendations in the area welcome though as I’ll have an evening on my lonesome.

Yes, it's just along the road - easy walking distance.

Like many things on NSC, it's best to just ignore the naysayers and miserablists and form your own opinion!

Expect an evening out in Dubai that's more than slightly Albion/NSC related with plenty of alcohol thrown in for good measure!

PM on its way...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Flew Emirates 380 into Dubai last week, no problems.

Not a very friendly airport, apart from the Scouser in the white robes.

Oh, make sure you use the proper toilet on the plane :lol:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

er, what?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not an issue flying to Dubai from London, but I do recall a few years back when flying to Heathrow from Johannesberg via Abu Dhabi on Emirates that just before the plane entered Saudi Arabian air space it was announced there would be no more alcohol served on board as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here