Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Friday night drinking thread.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
As it is such a crap night I have raided the wine cellar here at Wunt be Druv heights and will be popping open a bottle of Château Simone Palette Rouge 1999,a fine blend of Grenache/Mourverde grape,will taste all the better as Mrs.WBD out with her mates!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No.2 cat that cost me the price of a small nation last year on vet fees had what I thought was the same again, thankfully not, but need a big drink after that. Still £105 today for antibiotics... small fry!!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'll be thinking about a lovely bottle of M&S 'Burra Brook' Chardonnay, followed by a few bottles of ice cold Chimay beer - and maybe topped off at about midnight with a nice Tanqueray & Slimline Tonic or two. It's Friday night, after all...

I did say thinking... In reality, I'll be having chuff all apart from a few cans of Heineken 0,0 - but let's not let that spoil my new 'fantasy drinking' adventure. :cheers:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
crumpton_oaks_farmhouse_dry_cider_4x2_5l.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Ok, I was in Lidls about a month ago and I saw a bottle of Burgundy Chardonnay and purchased it, it was wonderful.
Typical of Lidls, good stuff often disappears never to be seen again. I keep popping into various branches with no luck.
This afternoon I found 1 solitary bottle in the 'better' wine section.
I am a very keen enthusiast of all things Burgundy so I know a little of what I am talking about.
If you like white Chardonnay see if you can find a bottle or 5.
It's called Vire-Clesse, grand vin De Bourgogne.
It deserves to be drank properly, enjoy each mouthful.
If I was on a blind tasting I would have said it was Poullly Fusee or maybe even a cheap Mersault, it's that good and I would have paid £20 for it.
But here is the good news, it's £7.99, the bargain of the year.
I also got a pack of lobster meat from Lidls at the same time as burgundies go so well with it.
That's my Friday evening sorted.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ok, I was in Lidls about a month ago and I saw a bottle of Burgundy Chardonnay and purchased it, it was wonderful.
Typical of Lidls, good stuff often disappears never to be seen again. I keep popping into various branches with no luck.
I am a very keen enthusiast of all things Burgundy so I know a little of what I am talking about.
If I was on a blind tasting I would have said it was Poullly Fusee or maybe even a cheap Mersault, it's that good and I would have paid £20 for it.
I also got a pack of lobster meat from Lidls at the same time as burgundies go so well with it.

Thanks on the heads up, only trouble is, £7.99 is well out of my range, I get the Argentinian Merlot and a pack of meatballs for that !

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield

Whats your opinion of the Lobster, i have often tried it on a cruise but purchasing it locally its a disappointment, you expect to pay a good price but as yet i have not found it worthwhile

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Kids down. Singapore Kitchen on the way. About to get cracking on a prosecco & sloe gin. Ave it.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Pickles

May 5, 2014

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Day 39 here. Lime and sparkling water.

What's the difference between soda and sparkling water?

Good stuff

I think mineral water is 'natural' (including the gas) whereas soda is water with gas and minerals added (hence the slightly different taste). Probably the wrong thread for this discussion !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sorry to say that owing to an extremely unusual ten days (I had to work every working day. Every. FFS) I'm on the supermarket sweep tonight :wrong:

pony2.png

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Whats your opinion of the Lobster, i have often tried it on a cruise but purchasing it locally its a disappointment, you expect to pay a good price but as yet i have not found it worthwhile

By no means an expert on Lobster as much as I love all seafood.
I agree it's not that good compared to the very few occasions I have had proper very well cooked lobster.
My guess is that, like a lot of seafood it is farmed and it rarely tastes as good as wild.
Cheap lobster like the meat I got from Lidls today is almost certainly farmed, same for sea bass and salmon, nice but not as good.
I have found that America is a great country for consistently good shellfish like crab and lobster.
Fresh down from Alaska I would have thought.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thanks on the heads up, only trouble is, £7.99 is well out of my range, I get the Argentinian Merlot and a pack of meatballs for that !

I would hate to think that you think I am some sort of snob, our usual Friday night bottle costs about £5.
Although a lover of Burgundy it's a rare treat for me to enjoy a proper bottle around £20- £35.
But for £7.99 this wine was of a very high quality, easily worth £20, too good to miss out on.
I can still taste it now 1 hour after my last glass, the sign of decent stuff.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Attended a funeral and wake in Devizes today, enjoyed a couple of Wadworths Horizon before heading back. Subsequently we’ve enjoyed a life celebrating bottle of Frexinet, a Jeff Carrel Le Tire Fitou, a Blue Pyrenees Shiraz from Victoria AU and a Clare Valley Wakefield Shiraz.
Here’s to those we’ve lost, and those we miss. :drink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here