Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Plane in a spot of bother......

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Having a massive knock on effect too. The Emirates flight in the OP my folks were meant to get on and fly to Dubai. They are now en route to a hotel provided by Emirates as they have cancelled the flight for today

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Probs just to service Prem footballer’s and wags holidays. I imagine there’s a similar flight to Las Vegas to service the local Championship players.

I used that route to New Zealand. Manchester - Dubai - Christchurch.

I spent about two hours in Dubai which was long enough tbh.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
That was probably the alternate destination lodged in the flight plan, they'll have fueled to be able to make the alternate destination if they can't land at their actual destination... so my mate who's a pilot told me.
I can confirm your mates view. As a trained Flight Dispatcher/Planner in a previous life, this is exactly what you do. The flight has to have (legally) at least 1 alternate destination. The choice of the destination would be based on the forecasted weather at both the original destination (in this case LGW) and also the alternate (in this case MAN) They would also take into account the airlines own workforce at the alternate airports. Even if Heathrow was not experiencing the same weather conditions they would have been reluctant to accept diversions due to capacity constrains at Heathrow.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
That was probably the alternate destination lodged in the flight plan, they'll have fueled to be able to make the alternate destination if they can't land at their actual destination... so my mate who's a pilot told me.

Yes they do have alternate destination on their flight plan but my job involves ATC at Gatwick and I hear flight deck ask their respective company when they approach Gatwick when there has been disruption where they would like them to divert to, so it's not always what the alternates are.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yes they do have alternate destination on their flight plan but my job involves ATC at Gatwick and I hear flight deck ask their respective company when they approach Gatwick when there has been disruption where they would like them to divert to, so it's not always what the alternates are.

I expect it is easier to do that when you're inbound UK as there is a relatively high density of airports within a short distance of each other, its a bit different when you are flying somewhere where there are less options. The type of plane is another consideration as not all airports can handle all plane types, especially big ones like A380s!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Looks like fun at Heathrow too....

[tweet]1093858770961223680[/tweet]

Seems alright
Seems alright
Seems alright
Seems alright
Seems alright
Seems alright
Seems alri...HOLY S**T!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Happened to me and Mrs Chopper on a flight back to Gatwick from Tenerife in February quite a few years back, it was dark and pouring with rain, we had 3 goes at it, 3rd time we came down almost sideways, the plane was then straightened out at the last possible moment and the pilot plonked it down on the runway with a huge bang.
Scary stuff.:shit:

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I expect it is easier to do that when you're inbound UK as there is a relatively high density of airports within a short distance of each other, its a bit different when you are flying somewhere where there are less options. The type of plane is another consideration as not all airports can handle all plane types, especially big ones like A380s!
Exactly, there are many factors to consider for an airline, handling agent, fuelling, engineering etc, also Bournemouth most certainly cannot handle an A380.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Had a couple of gatwick runs this morning and could clearly see planes comming in sideways . One passenger said it was scary .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
@
Had a couple of gatwick runs this morning and could clearly see planes comming in sideways . One passenger said it was scary .

Just the one? Blimey, the rest are braver than me

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One was a drop off the other a pick up
Got a heathrow running an hour late at moment

Ah, now I get it, I thought you meant only one airline passenger landing at Heathrow today found it scary :rolleyes::

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Happened to me and Mrs Chopper on a flight back to Gatwick from Tenerife in February quite a few years back, it was dark and pouring with rain, we had 3 goes at it, 3rd time we came down almost sideways, the plane was then straightened out at the last possible moment and the pilot plonked it down on the runway with a huge bang.
Scary stuff.:shit:

Had almost exactly the same in Jersey once - 60mph crosswinds, three attempts at landing and on the third one pilot just seemed to get close and just 'drop it' on to the runway - we bounced along and ended up almost pointing sideways. What I recall most is the coolness of the pilot though........something like :

'Well as you can see ladies and gents I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the old girl level as we approach. I'm going to pop back up, whizz round again and have another bash at it - if I can't get down this time I'm afraid I'm going to have to take us all back to Gatwick, so I'll do my best. It might be a bit lumpy as we land............'

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
As a pilot myself, the sensationalist headlines when we have gusty conditions and a few aircraft have to go around frustrate me an awful lot. It’s perfectly safe manoeuvre that is regularly practised and discussed.

With regards to the fuel for a divert, every aircraft carries enough fuel to divert from a missed approach at the destination to the alternate airport, conduct a missed approach there also and have a second attempt to land. On top of this “Alternate Fuel” is also “Final Reserve Fuel” which allows for 30 minutes additional flying. These are legal minimums that must be carried, but there can also be additional fuel carried at the pilot’s discretion, as well as any fuel that has been saved due to different routing by atc en route etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Glad they're down safely. But how macked off would you be, having to yomp all the way back down from Manchester

But possibly cheered up a bit by the thought of being still alive....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here