Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Plane in a spot of bother......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On his way down to Manchester now

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I guess that 'low on fuel' was in relative terms. Can't have been THAT low, if they diverted it to Manchester, when there's presumably a suitable runway a lot nearer (Bournemouth has a long strip, and masses of empty landing slots).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's down now. Woohoo.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Glad they're down safely. But how macked off would you be, having to yomp all the way back down from Manchester

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I guess that 'low on fuel' was in relative terms. Can't have been THAT low, if they diverted it to Manchester, when there's presumably a suitable runway a lot nearer (Bournemouth has a long strip, and masses of empty landing slots).

Would it not have had to go to somewhere that was currently less windy? Else it makes no sense diverting that far at all :shrug:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Interesting flight plan.
Looks like a single circuit in the holding stack into LGW and TWO "missed approach" aka aborted landings.
The odd thing next is that it was sent south and did a double circuits over Brighton before being directed to fly north .... probably UK air-space management

CAA have strict standards about minimum remaining fuel required at destination, with huge fines for breaches - it's examples like this that help show why
Airlines hate carrying surplus fuel as the added weight costs them money ...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I've heard a few planes aborting landings this morning, but probably no more than usual. Certainly becoming a current occurrence now (not just because of wind), years ago it was quite rare.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On a bus, on a Friday, in this weather - will take as long as the flight did....................

After two aborted landings, a circle and a trip up North on fumes I'd also allow extra time for everyone to take a trip to the Kermit to change in to fresh undercrackers before bus boarding....

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

We’ve currently experiencing gale force 9 winds gusting 10 in Christchurch where Bournemouth Airport is located. It would have been just as dangerous to attempt to land, if not more so, than Gatwick.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've heard a few planes aborting landings this morning, but probably no more than usual. Certainly becoming a current occurrence now (not just because of wind), years ago it was quite rare.

Flew through some of the worst turbulence ever coming home from Greece in October, like to think I'm an experienced traveller, but that scared the life out of me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

No it wasn't. Very common during windy days. When working as an aircraft engineer at LGW used sit in a van at lunchtimes on the apron in front of Hangar 6 approx. 150 yards from the runway. Great fun watching them land in windy conditions especially as they passed the end of the hangars when the cross wind caught them. The old flying sheds were a picture being chucked all over the place.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
For anyone interested in such things, Dubai/LGW flight unable to land at LGW due to wind shear.........aborted after a couple of attempts now in a mayday situation (low fuel) and heading to Manchester.

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAE15/1f6e9c06

That was probably the alternate destination lodged in the flight plan, they'll have fueled to be able to make the alternate destination if they can't land at their actual destination... so my mate who's a pilot told me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here