Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Plane in a spot of bother......

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As a pilot myself, the sensationalist headlines when we have gusty conditions and a few aircraft have to go around frustrate me an awful lot. It’s perfectly safe manoeuvre that is regularly practised and discussed.

With regards to the fuel for a divert, every aircraft carries enough fuel to divert from a missed approach at the destination to the alternate airport, conduct a missed approach there also and have a second attempt to land. On top of this “Alternate Fuel” is also “Final Reserve Fuel” which allows for 30 minutes additional flying. These are legal minimums that must be carried, but there can also be additional fuel carried at the pilot’s discretion, as well as any fuel that has been saved due to different routing by atc en route etc.

Exactly. FlightRadar means every man and his dog can see the odd aircraft going round again, or turning back, and assumes there's some sort of panic situation on. When I worked at LGW, there were local standbys all the time, plus the occasional full emergency, the terminology of which would probably put the fear of God into most people, but which for the airport staff are a fairly standard and generally unconcerning occurrence (albeit an FE would warrant the fire service lining up just in case).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The only time I've experienced anything like this was because of swirling fog at Luton. We were on an early morning Easyjet flight from Athens, and the pilot went around a couple of times getting lower each time, and then climbing again.
He announced that the fog was moving so he was going to give it a third try, and if he had 100 yards visibility this time, he would land it, otherwise we'd climb again and go to Stansted.
My friend and I had a National Express coach booked an hour later, so really wanted to land at Luton, but fortunately, the fog swirled enough to give us a clear view and we landed.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The only time I've experienced anything like this was because of swirling fog at Luton. We were on an early morning Easyjet flight from Athens, and the pilot went around a couple of times getting lower each time, and then climbing again.
He announced that the fog was moving so he was going to give it a third try, and if he had 100 yards visibility this time, he would land it, otherwise we'd climb again and go to Stansted.
My friend and I had a National Express coach booked an hour later, so really wanted to land at Luton, but fortunately, the fog swirled enough to give us a clear view and we landed.

As someone who has used National Express loads of times from Heathrow to Brighton that is one thing not to worry about. I have arrived early or late for my booked coach and have always been able to board the next available whether ahead of schedule or late. Once we were diverted to Manchester and NE put me on the next coach to London rather than wait for the airline to magic up alternative travel.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

For most modern aircraft and airports, landing in fog is no longer an issue thanks to ILS [Instrument Landing System].
Beacons around the threshold [piano-keys] at each end of the runway work on very precise triangulation to confirm aircraft height and direction to ensure the glide path arrives on the threshold - clever stuff and very safe ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As someone who has used National Express loads of times from Heathrow to Brighton that is one thing not to worry about. I have arrived early or late for my booked coach and have always been able to board the next available whether ahead of schedule or late. Once we were diverted to Manchester and NE put me on the next coach to London rather than wait for the airline to magic up alternative travel.

That's ok if you're going to London. I wasn't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nothing to do with London as a destination. My experience of NE is wherever you are going they do their best to put you on the next available coach. They well understand that aircraft arrivals do not always keep to schedule.

The coach I wanted was from Luton to Yorkshire. I don't think Stansted had that service.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Heathrow a lot nearer than Manchester

Yeah but you have to pay some kid a fiver to watch the plane while the pilot runs into the terminal for a slash or come back to find the tyres nailed.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Glad they're down safely. But how macked off would you be, having to yomp all the way back down from Manchester

I think that I would be happy to be the position to yomp all the way back down, rather than be transported in a box.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Had almost exactly the same in Jersey once - 60mph crosswinds, three attempts at landing and on the third one pilot just seemed to get close and just 'drop it' on to the runway - we bounced along and ended up almost pointing sideways. What I recall most is the coolness of the pilot though........something like :

'Well as you can see ladies and gents I'm having a bit of trouble keeping the old girl level as we approach. I'm going to pop back up, whizz round again and have another bash at it - if I can't get down this time I'm afraid I'm going to have to take us all back to Gatwick, so I'll do my best. It might be a bit lumpy as we land............'

Pilot on a flight from London to Edinburgh a few years ago: “Well, ladies and gentlemen, we’re about half way up, and I’ve been told that they’ve just closed Edinburgh airport due to fog. So what we’re going to do is fly on up there and hang around a bit. Hopefully, the fog will clear enough for us to land. If it doesn’t, I’ll see if I can find somewhere else.” :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here