Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] A salutory lesson in the need to keep on top of energy supplier's bills

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Just coming out of a fixed 12 month tariff with EON, they emailed me to try and get me commit to a new fixed deal warning me that otherwise i'd drop to their variable tariff. When looking through the numbers, their bext fixed deal is only £7 a year (based on my usage) better than the variable, and way more than i'm paying now.

Switched to Octopus, just waiting for that to go through. Refreshing how easy it is to do. If anyone wants a link for £50 credit for us both for them, drop me a PM :)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Smart meters are shit IMO. So many are not compatible if you then change supplier and become effectively ordinary credit meters as the tech to make them universal across the industry has not yet been fully integrated. I would wait before having one installed - it's hardly a chore to read your own meter and instances such as this are less likely.

They will be the future, but the whole industry needs to get the software compatible to make them usable if switching suppliers.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm with OVO and their deal is that they pay me 3% on any credit balance - worth asking EDF if they do likelwise?

We're LOADS in credit with Ovo, and they keep putting our DD up. Happy all the time they're paying 3%

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I reckon NSC members could make/save a shed load of money with a referals thread, or perhaps best left to MSE or something. From razors, to,energy suppliers, to mutimedia, bookies.... Ive had and shared a few

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Whilst I fully sympathise with the above and am glad you have now got this resolved I am staggered why anyone slightly tech savvy would be with one of the big six.

It’s the only utility where you have total freedom to switch without them “not supplying your area” or needing to have access or approval from landlords or co-freeholders etc to switch.

For example I’m with Octopus who are not only ridiculously cheaper than most they also pay credit interest on credit balances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the big six particularly British Gas are taking advantage of customers who do not bother to change suppliers, also dont install a so called smart meter until the next generation is available

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here