Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Britain's Treasure Islands.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Has anyone else beein following this marvellous three part series which concluded on the BBC this week?

The naturalist and explorer Stewart MacPherson travelled to all fourteen of the remaining UK Overseas Territories, many of them far flung and situated in the remotest possible locations, to explore their wildlife, landscapes, history and people.

I found it to be completely enthralling, and really was the BBC at it's best.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Dammit.. I thought you were going to mention little islands off the coast of Britain which have beaches with a potential of hidden treasure...

*puts bucket and spade back in the shed

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think it was originally on a few years ago, but it was really interesting viewing - if it's been on again, I may well check it out on iPlayer.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
25016.jpg

This book is a very good read, touches on the history of all those places and why they became so important to the empire. It surprised me our country still had so many overseas territories still as I'd assumed as the empire collapsed they'd all be released.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25016.Outposts

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
View attachment 104468

This book is a very good read, touches on the history of all those places and why they became so important to the empire. It surprised me our country still had so many overseas territories still as I'd assumed as the empire collapsed they'd all be released.

The ones I know of (Falkland Islands and Gibraltar for example) appear to have no desire to be 'released' - indeed, they would be very upset if we tried to release them.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The ones I know of (Falkland Islands and Gibraltar for example) appear to have no desire to be 'released' - indeed, they would be very upset if we tried to release them.

What about the ones you don't know of! Guess it was my clumsy way of saying the overseas territories are a lot bigger than I realised. And as you point out the vast majority of those territories are still there as they want to be still (apart from maybe the people of the Chagos islands).

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
View attachment 104468

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25016.Outposts

I think they are so small they would not be able to stand alone and would have to join some other larger organisation at least remaining part of the U.K. Is better the devil you know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here