Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] musicMagpie

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has anyone had dealings with this site? Apparently they give you a price for your unwanted CDs, books, mobile phones etc. Seems a bit iffy, but would appreciate any feedback. Cheers.

Used it once quite a while ago....worked perfectly OK but don't expect much at all for each item.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Used it a few times - you dont get much for them (some might be a few quid, but pennies for most) but easier than selling on ebay and more convenient than a jumble sale. Never had any issues.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As others have said, it is absolutely fine, not dodgy at all but do not expect to come away with a great deal of money out of it.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Yeah I sold an old phone (iPhone 4S) off it, and a broken laptop more recently. It was perfectly fine and genuine. I got more money than I would from throwing the phones away, that's for sure. Obviously if you have a half-decent model then you won't get much for it, but no one else would accept my stuff (too damaged and old).

It is easy and you're not left out of pocket as a result. I also did it through a cashback site so I ended up making a little bit extra still.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Got rid of a load of old CD's, books, DVD's and even a couple of old mobiles. You can now download their app and scan the bar code of the item and it will tell you how much they will pay. As said above it wont be a lot. Once done you pack everything in a box, printout a freepost label and take it to a collection point. The money will then be transferred to you once they have the items.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Has anyone had dealings with this site? Apparently they give you a price for your unwanted CDs, books, mobile phones etc. Seems a bit iffy, but would appreciate any feedback. Cheers.

Unless you really need the money, take your books and CDs to a charity shop, they'll get more for them than you will. And it will give you an enormous sense of wellbeing.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Scan 'em all in with your phone, pack 'em in a box and print the freepost label. Take to a designated newsagent and wait for your (small) cheque. The most surprising CD for me was Donna Summer's Greatest Hits....got £3 whilst most others for 30p. Happy days.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Unless you really need the money, take your books and CDs to a charity shop, they'll get more for them than you will. And it will give you an enormous sense of wellbeing.

And then you'll be happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge there will always be a bit of your heart devoted to it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Used it once quite a while ago....worked perfectly OK but don't expect much at all for each item.

Yep, agreed. I used it just before Christmas. Good if you want to declutter, but it's not a money spinner. Presumably the same business model as webuyanycar, and there is a place for that.

As was suggested earlier, it might be better giving your stuff away to a charity shop unless you need the money.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Not entirely true, unless they all in almost perfect condition. My wife has been volunteering in a charity shop for a few hours a week recently and its opened our eyes. You will be amazed by the amount of stuff that gets chucked out due to minor damage.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've always wondered what the hell they do with all these old CD's, DVD's and Books?

Charity shops can't get £1 for a DVD, they're selling CD's for 25p, and books are 10p each. My business brain says that with such miniscule margins you'd need to be shifting vast amounts of these - but then if the charity shops are struggling to get rid of them, there can't be a massive demand.

So : Tiny Margins + Low Demand = Pointless Business Model

I don't get it. Can someone cleverererer than me explain?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've always wondered what the hell they do with all these old CD's, DVD's and Books?

Charity shops can't get £1 for a DVD, they're selling CD's for 25p, and books are 10p each. My business brain says that with such miniscule margins you'd need to be shifting vast amounts of these - but then if the charity shops are struggling to get rid of them, there can't be a massive demand.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/music-magpie-cd-dvd-reselling

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

For Musicmagpie, just have a look on Amazon for CDs where there are options from third party sellers. A lot of the MusicMagpie CDs are offered at £1.49 + delivery, so if they only offer 30p to buy there are making around a £1 after costs on each resale.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Ship overseas and sell there?

Charity shops require footfall. Internet generates a shipping/handling cost. Hence the UK model struggles. Large footfall in an overseas market probably works a lot better so I've always assumed this is where the stuff goes.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Met the owner Steve Oliver, at a business event a couple of years ago, seemed very switched on and a nice guy

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I think it's a business with £125m t/o! Low margin but I'd like 3-4% of that :wink:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've used them very good. Obviously you are not getting megabucks but if you are getting rid of a few hundred cds then it is well worth it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ship overseas and sell there?

Charity shops require footfall. Internet generates a shipping/handling cost. Hence the UK model struggles. Large footfall in an overseas market probably works a lot better so I've always assumed this is where the stuff goes.
More likely that in a lot of people's eyes, charity shop = boot sale. Something might be worth £5 but you are unlikely to see it for such in a charity shop or boot sale as people will assume it will be very cheap. I stopped doing boot sales years ago because of this. I would have a clear out once a year and price low accordingly. Charge 50p for something £2 elsewhere and people will try and haggle you down to 25p. I guess charity shops are similar and this is why they put a lot of high value donations on eBay.

You are also likely to have to visit a lot of charity shops to find the CD/DVD you want whereas Music Magpie will likely have it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here