Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1901 Ticket Question

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
Sadly my Dad recently passed away and he has a seat in the 1901 Club.

We are still paying for his ticket but my mum can't really afford to keep it going so we need to cancel it. I know we could probably just stop the DD but I've heard people sell their 1901 seats on and the club permit this. I've emailed the Club but not heard back so anyone who's done similar who could offer any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

We are still paying for his ticket but my mum can't really afford to keep it going so we need to cancel it. I know we could probably just stop the DD but I've heard people sell their 1901 seats on and the club permit this. I've emailed the Club but not heard back so anyone who's done similar who could offer any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Firstly, very sorry to hear of your loss.

To your points, I've both bought and sold 1901 tickets from/to other fans. Yes, it's perfectly possible to sell your seat(s) to other fans. The club keep a list of potential purchasers, but I found that they had none who wanted a single seat (it's possible that that might have changed now, but, frankly, I doubt it). So, you're most probably going to have to find a buyer yourself, or solicit other 1901ers to try and help find a buyer (I'd be happy to help).

Here is as good a place as any to try to find a buyer - list the seat block and row, and which lounge/ whether the seat is gold/platinum/platinum+.

Once you've found a buyer, you and they have to fill in a simple form (ask the 1901 team for them), and the club process the forms. Technically you (the seller) have to pay a £50 admin fee, but I have found this to be negotiable.

I'd personally advise against just cancelling the DD without first at least trying to sell the seat/contact the club to discuss the situation. Technically, the member has no rights to terminate the contract prior to the end of the contract term (this second term - of 5 years - expires in July 2021). All the termination clauses are found in clause 19 of the Agreement (I can email you a copy if you want one), and they allow the club to terminate early in exceptional circumstances - mostly if the member is a PITA, but there are none allowing the member to cancel early, not even for death. Having said this, I would hope and expect the club to behave nicely to you in these circumstances - perhaps "OK, try and sell it for 3 months; if no luck, we'll cancel it for you", but I can't guarantee they'd do this - again, a single ticket will be as hard for them to shift as it will be for you.

Finally, your Dad will have paid either £500 or £1000 (both +VAT at the then prevailing rate) for the privilege of being allowed to pay for the ticket - in determining the price you sell at, don't forget to factor this into account...

Good luck. Let me know if I can help further.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I bought a season ticket and seat licence off someone at the start of the season. Its a pretty straightforward process. But you will need the find a buyer as the club won't do that for you. If you are just selling the season ticket the new owner will simply take on the remainder of contract and any payments left. If you are selling a seat licence as well then that is up to you how much you sell it for and how you arrange payment for this.

That said I'm sure the club have a policy for deceased fans so they may well let you simply cancel the account. As others have said, best to speak to them directly.

I've only had to use them once but 1901@bhafc.co.uk were very prompt at getting back to me.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Firstly, very sorry to hear of your loss.

To your points, I've both bought and sold 1901 tickets from/to other fans. Yes, it's perfectly possible to sell your seat(s) to other fans. The club keep a list of potential purchasers, but I found that they had none who wanted a single seat (it's possible that that might have changed now, but, frankly, I doubt it). So, you're most probably going to have to find a buyer yourself, or solicit other 1901ers to try and help find a buyer (I'd be happy to help).

Here is as good a place as any to try to find a buyer - list the seat block and row, and which lounge/ whether the seat is gold/platinum/platinum+.

Once you've found a buyer, you and they have to fill in a simple form (ask the 1901 team for them), and the club process the forms. Technically you (the seller) have to pay a £50 admin fee, but I have found this to be negotiable.

I'd personally advise against just cancelling the DD without first at least trying to sell the seat/contact the club to discuss the situation. Technically, the member has no rights to terminate the contract prior to the end of the contract term (this second term - of 5 years - expires in July 2021). All the termination clauses are found in clause 19 of the Agreement (I can email you a copy if you want one), and they allow the club to terminate early in exceptional circumstances - mostly if the member is a PITA, but there are none allowing the member to cancel early, not even for death. Having said this, I would hope and expect the club to behave nicely to you in these circumstances - perhaps "OK, try and sell it for 3 months; if no luck, we'll cancel it for you", but I can't guarantee they'd do this - again, a single ticket will be as hard for them to shift as it will be for you.

Finally, your Dad will have paid either £500 or £1000 (both +VAT at the then prevailing rate) for the privilege of being allowed to pay for the ticket - in determining the price you sell at, don't forget to factor this into account...

Good luck. Let me know if I can help further.

If a family member dies can the seat be passed onto someone else in the family or does it go back to the club for resale?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sorry about your loss.

Just phone the club as they will have a procedure in place. After submitting the paperwork, I'd be very surprised if they pursued the estate for future financial commitment.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Just spotted that you said you'd already emailed them and not heard back.

Try calling them on 01273 878278

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If a family member dies can the seat be passed onto someone else in the family or does it go back to the club for resale?

It could be transferred as per the normal transfer process to the new member. It doesn't matter whether the new member is related to the old one or not.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sorry about your loss.

Just phone the club as they will have a procedure in place. After submitting the paperwork, I'd be very surprised if they pursued the estate for future financial commitment.

If they did persue it, it would be a great wayfor the club to attract advese publicity..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

A 1901 seat can be passed to another person of your choosing (sold or simply changed). A standard season ticket - absolutely not. Owner dies, the ST contract ends, and the seat becomes available for the next person on the waiting list. It is the same everywhere, and is why Liverpool currently have hundreds of VERY old season ticket holders...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’d call the club as opposed to email, and call the 1901 number. They’re super helpful and have far exceeded my expectations when I have needed some help.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Very sorry to hear this.

One thing I'd add is that is you follow the links on the club website to the 1901 club and click on "Join the 1901 Club" you are directed to a page which says that membership is sold out and has a link to a page to join the waiting list. So in theory the club should have details of people who might be ready to take over your father's membership. I'd hope that they would waive the £50 admin fee for transferring ownership in sad circumstances as yours. As others have also said, I would caution against just cancelling the DD without speaking to the club first.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea on the details, but you absolutely can't just hand it over (officially) to another family member.

Not saying you are wrong but that does surprise me. Although I am thinking of a 1901 seat, maybe that isn’t what you mean.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not saying you are wrong but that does surprise me. Although I am thinking of a 1901 seat, maybe that isn’t what you mean.

To be clear:

1901 seat - you CAN transfer ownership.
Regular ST - you can NOT do so.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
A 1901 seat can be passed to another person of your choosing (sold or simply changed). A standard season ticket - absolutely not. Owner dies, the ST contract ends, and the seat becomes available for the next person on the waiting list. It is the same everywhere, and is why Liverpool currently have hundreds of VERY old season ticket holders...

So a 1901 ticket can be transferred to a family member if someone dies , even thou the holder of the ticket hasn’t specified who that ticket would go to. That would be up to the next of kin?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here